SAC's big hammer. B-52E Nuclear Strike in 1/72

My first completed work this year. This is Monogram's B-52. It started life as a 'D' model in SEA markings.

Since then it has undergone a major rebuild for suspended 'in flight' display at the Bentwaters museum.

I split the belly, removed the MLG and the bomb bay, split the t/e and took the flaps out to make life easier.

as it's NMF, I spent a lot of time getting the seams right, then hours masking and spraying the beast.

Paint is courtesy of Halfords rattle cans for the white belly and 2 shades of silver, and Plasticote for the polished areas. Decals are Warbird, adapted as necessary, and a few from the spares box. The Hound Dogs were cast by a local Club member from an MAI master, as I could only find one, via a nice gentleman from Florida.

Biggest problem, apart from the masking, is the size of the beast when handling it.

Anyway, it's done now, and off to the Club tonight as part of our 'Fugly' theme. Enjoy.

IMGP1287_zpshmavjg4s.jpg

IMGP1288_zpsikizp4ta.jpg

IMGP1289_zpsy25l8y40.jpg

IMGP1290_zpsiqgblgm8.jpg

• Like 65

That is a gorgeous brute!

The B-52E tends to get ignored because it remained in the unsung strategic role throughout its entire career, nice to see one tackled so well here.

Michael

Excellent rendition of a Buff - especially the NMF finish :thumbsup:

Am I right in saying that the jet engines on the Hound Dogs could be used on takeoff to increase the thrust of the mother ship???

..... making this particular variant of the B-52 a TEN engined machine :analintruder:

Ken

Am I right in saying that the jet engines on the Hound Dogs could be used on takeoff to increase the thrust of the mother ship???

..... making this particular variant of the B-52 a TEN engined machine

Ken

Yes, extra thrust. The Hound Dog tanks were then replenished from the mother ship.