Italeri 1/72 F14 Tomcat

Dear Britmodellers,

This is my first post here. I would like to share my F14 Tomcat. I realize that this model still have shortcomings and can be improved. I hope I can learn from your comments and constructive tips to improve my modelling skill. Thank you very much

Italeri 1/72 F14 Tomcat is not an easy model to build. Raised panel line is a big challenge in building process. Fortunately part fitting is quite excellent, I managed to minimize panel line obliteration sanding and filling.

Pitot tube is replaced by metal needle, quite realistic and sturdy, survived my haphazard handling. Ejection seat is enhanced by simple scratch building. I add simple ejection ring from fine copper wire, bend using tweezers and painted using toothpick.

Paint job is weathered using salt masking to produce random grey spots. The effect is overdone, next time I will make more subtle weathering.

000%2Btomcat%2Btitle.JPG

210%2Btomcat%2Bdown.JPG

200%2Btomcat%2Bup.JPG

220%2Btomcat%2Bside.JPG

230%2Btomcat%2Bfront.JPG

055%2Btomcat%2Bcockpit.JPG

• Like 17

Hi, and welcome to the site. You look to have done a good job but some larger pictures would be appreciated. Pity about the weathering but we all have to learn the hard way - from someone who has never tried to do it!

I like it, great looking F-14. I find weathering the most difficult aspect of model making, something I guess only improves with time and practice so I must need a lot more practice!

Dear All, thank you very much for your comments

Dear John, thank you fro your recommendation, I'll try to use 800-900 pixels wide image in next posts

Dear Colin, thank you for the close up picture of Tomcat. That's a very dirty plane. Not only weathered in gray gradation, but also in other hues such as brown.

• 2 years later...

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman! 

latest?cb=20111123190333

Has anyone built one of these? I was wondering how much, if any, ballast was needed in the nose.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider