Biplane assembly jig

Selwyn

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968933-aeroclub-biplane-jig/

John said he might be releasing a new version.

I only make biplanes very occasionally, so I bought the sram one:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SRAMACC2

I must admit I have not used it yet!

Selwyn,

Would love to hear what you think of the SRAM jig once you get it - I am currently using a makeshift "Lego" jig for most of my short-run biplanes (anything not manufactured by Airfix :D) and it's "ok" but far from perfect.

Cheers,
Dave

Had a look at the vertigo ones but they didn't seem to hold the wings in place, they just rested on "shelves".

settled for the SRAM one looks much better.

Selwyn

Well I've got both, and I'd choose the Vertigo over the SRAM. The SRAM is OK, but the Vertigo is just a better product.

I've got the SRAM one also and while it does the job, it could be improved in lots of ways - for example, graduated scales down the vertical arms to ensure the horizontal arms are set at the same height, and degree marks around the rounded ends of the horizontal arms where they are attached to the verticals to allow them to be set to the same angle on both sides.

it's also a bit fiddly to keep the arms in the correct positions while setting it up - small wingnuts would allow for easier adjustment than the dome-headed nuts provided, as would the inclusion of spring-loaded washers to maintain tightness. The wedge-shaped attachments on the horizontal arms will keep the wings loosely clamped, but again they suffer from the use of dome headed nuts as above.

All of this can be overcome quite simply of course but when you're paying £25 for what is a pretty basic collection of plastic and metal Meccano bits, it could have been designed with a bit more thought.

Edit: I typed this before looking at the picture of John's rig, honest! interesting to see that he incorporates much of what I've written above in his version.

Edited by johnny akes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...