Sunderland Air Show

I was there on Saturday - great day of flying, only downers were that a few programmed aircraft couldn't make it (P-51, Chinook), and the Red Arrows were delayed taking off at Newcastle, which meant that the heavens opened in the final few minutes of their show, causing a bit of chaos.

I really can't complain about a free airshow taking place a minute's walk from my mother-out-law's house, but I always feel they're missing a few things:

This year, there was no Lancaster with the BBMF, and I'd hoped to see the Vulcan one last time, but that wasn't to be.

I always want a few more modern military fast jets flying, but I imagine that the numerous aerobatic teams that perform go down better with the general non-obsessed public.

A few years ago there was a dedicated model shop stall (a trader from Birmingham, if memory serves), but the last couple of times there has been very little model-related stuff for sale in the showground. Shame - I feel that at least the NEAM should have a stall there, with some of the stock from their gift shop (perhaps I should volunteer)...

Amusing things of the day:

Mother-out-law refusing to believe that either of the parachute displays were done by real people until they actually landed and started waving. They "looked too flat", apparently.

My nephew liked ALL the planes, but as soon as he realised the P-40 had a massive skull on the nose, that was his favourite.

Edited by Kenny J

We went yesterday. The weather was ok to start with but gradually got very grey and a bit windy (well right on the front anyway!). It felt really cold sitting by the front! so there was a number of cancellations, which was disappointing but it's a free show so can't complain too much. We missed the BBMF Spitfire/Hurricane, the hangar 11 Mustang, the Vampire 2 seater and Chinook.

We did get the Red Arrows, Twister Duo, The Blades, Patrouille Reva, and Gerald Cooper doing aerobatic displays. The only 'warbird' to display was the hangar 11 P-40 but we still got the single seater Vampire and MiG-15, the RN Black Cats and Sea King ASR and the RAF displayed a Typhoon, a pair of Hawk T2's and a Tutor. In addition the OV-10 was there and the Army Tiger's did their parachute display but the RAF Falcons team couldn't drop as the wind had got up too much.

So that was the first time I've seen a Vampire, MiG-15 and an OV-10 fly, so they were the biggest plus points. I also really like the Typhoon's display for the sheer noise, power and agility and the Hawk's did a nice demonstration.

thanks

Mike

I was there Saturday. The rain coming down just as the Reds finished was a pain but we were lucky it held off as long as it did.

Shame the Chinook couldn't make it. My lads would have liked that. As it was my 3 year old was terrified by the Typhoon which started just as he was having a wee. Messy! He loved the reds though.

Good ground presence by the RAF. Got a chance to see how the Typhoon flying kit has developed since I worked on it nearly twenty years ago!

I did not get to see the airshow as on Saterday I was running my shop, Armed Forces Books, in Murton (Next to Dalton Park).

I did see a fair number of the aircraft fly over as they seem to come up to Seaham area to turn in some cases.

The Typhoon was great to see and hear even here.

On Sunday as the weather threatened I decided not to go as the cloud base seemed to drop and drop as the day went on.

The weather does make such a difference to these seaside airshows.

We got to see and hear the Vulcan for the last time in these parts 3 weeks ago when it flew over on the tour of various locations in the country.

Nigel