Recommend me a wash?

Raven Morpheus

Hey all

Possibly the wrong sub-forum, and I may have discussed this before (I know I was complaining about washes recently), so apologies in advance, but I'm after recommendations.

I plan on getting back to, in the next weekend or two, my 1/350th Klingon Bird of Prey build.

Now, when I last did any work on it (before my airbrush died on me and forced a replacement) I was at the tedious stage of masking some individual panels off for a coat of Zinc Green Chromate, so I'm thinking that I'm not far off getting to the stage where I need to start thinking about doing some washes (although I thought that last time and I think I might have been wrong)...

...however, my recent experience with washes is leaving me floundering as nothing I've used has worked how I want it to!!

Citadel washes (the new range) aren't good for such large vehicle models, as I found out on my TIE Fighter, and the UMP Dark Dirt wash I have doesn't seem to work quite like the UMP guys show in their videos, despite having used it twice now on two different models.

So, I'd like some recommendations for good washes that I can use for detailing recesses in large vehicle models such as my BoP, that work over Klear with acrylics underneath, preferably non-toxic and not requiring lacquer or other noxious thinners (or similar products).

I'm after something that is a one-hit "magic in a bottle" kind of thing, something I can wash on the entire model, or part, and then rub off with a cloth (damp or dry) but still have the recesses retain the wash.

What would you guys use for doing a kind of dark dirt sort of wash for the recesses and panel lines of a model such as a Bird of Prey?

TIA

When I saw the title I immediately thought of carbolic and hot water. However many are the options. I do use Citadel Badab and Nulin Oil without any problems but that is one 1/72, 1/76 and 1/35 armour. All over Klear over acrylics. I suppose it would be different on what you're doing. I do use Windsor and Newton oils sometimes on other subjects but I tend to vary which wash as to which subject and scale.

I believe there are products available although I've never used them but someone other than myself will probably advise better.

• Like 2

Hi Raven,

Have you tried the range Phil Flory produces? Check some of his videos on YouTube to see how he uses them,

Best Wishes,

Will.

PS Darby's post made me smile. I thought the same - no offence intended.

• Like 1

What about a good quality oil paint and distilled turpentine? As long as your base coat is a good quality acrylic gloss varnish you will be fine. The advantage is that you can match your colour by mixing up the oil pant. Use the best quality oil paint you can afford and the pigment will be nice and fine.

• Like 1

I second cruiserguy's recommendation of Flory washes. They would seem to meet your requirements. They are easy to use, pretty much fail safe and give good results. Give them a try. They clean up with water. There are a bunch of videos on how to use them on the flory website.

• Like 1

Hi Raven,

Have you tried the range Phil Flory produces? Check some of his videos on YouTube to see how he uses them,

Best Wishes,

Will.

PS Darby's post made me smile. I thought the same - no offence intended.

Thanks I looked at Flory washes and thought they were similar if not the same as UMP's washes.

I will buy a suitable dark one and see how it goes.

And yeah, I should have worded the title a bit better...

What about a good quality oil paint and distilled turpentine? As long as your base coat is a good quality acrylic gloss varnish you will be fine. The advantage is that you can match your colour by mixing up the oil pant. Use the best quality oil paint you can afford and the pigment will be nice and fine.

The problem with stuff like turps is that it generally stinks, even in a well ventilated room, as far as I recall. I'd like to avoid stuff that smells too much as I do my modelling in my dining room and SWMBO, my mother, complains if anything smells too strong. Should have specified that in the OP I guess.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also pulling my hair out trying to find a reliable wash. I favour pin washes so the oil and turps method will probably be what I try. Could you recommend a brand of paint to purchase and a suitable turps? I know nothing about oils and don't want to buy something unsuitable.

The problem with stuff like turps is that it generally stinks, even in a well ventilated room, as far as I recall. I'd like to avoid stuff that smells too much as I do my modelling in my dining room and SWMBO, my mother, complains if anything smells too strong. Should have specified that in the OP I guess.

Winsor and Newton do a low odour thinner that works with their oil paints (obviously). Its a combination I just used on my Osprey panel lines, worked well and did not smell at all. I also like the Flory washes, I used their Black wash on my Terminator AHK.

Could I tag on a question about washes please. Do the Flory washes have a shelf life or should you be able to use them until the bottle is empty.

I haven't used up a bottle but I think they would be good to the end.

• Like 1