Flanker STGB chat

DaveJL

Nato Report Name: Flanker

- Flanker-A  Sukhoi T-10 (prototype Su-27)
- Flanker-B  Sukhoi Su-27
- Flanker-C  Sukhoi Su-27UB
- Flanker-D  Sukhoi Su-33 (Su-27K)
- Flanker-E variant 1  Sukhoi Su-35 (Su-27M)
- Flanker-E variant 2  Sukhoi Su-37
- Flanker-F variant 1  Sukhoi Su-30 (Su-27PU), Su-30K
- Flanker-F variant 2  Sukhoi Su-30M
- Flanker-G  Sukhoi Su-30MKK
- Flanker-H  Sukhoi Su-30MKI

--> Firkin   Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut  ( successor/variant S-37)

But maybe i am wrong?

• Like 2

Well, the Su-34 has the Nato Report Name 'Fullback'.

So it is obviously not a 'Flanker'. But the Su-27 was something like a role model for the Su-34.

One should keep in mind that these names are Nato designations and have nothing to do with the russian names

for these planes.

The S-37/S-47 Berkut was also based on the Su-27, just like the Su-34.

So it is a moderators decision :-)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sanjuro said:

Well, the Su-34 has the Nato Report Name 'Fullback'.

So it is obviously not a 'Flanker'. But the Su-27 was something like a role model for the Su-34.

One should keep in mind that these names are Nato designations and have nothing to do with the russian names

for these planes.

The S-37/S-47 Berkut was also based on the Su-27, just like the Su-34.

So it is a moderators decision :-)

The 34 clearly shares most of its airframe with the flanker series (can't find a % buts its around 75%), and indeed ts often called a strike flanker in the anglosphere, were as I said the S47 is a massive change from the base, there are goo arguments there for it to be included anyway but up to the powers wherever they are at the moment 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone and I think the naming (S-37 versus Su-37) was where I first got confused...:wonder:

I did find the following online but can't find a source for the statement....and this would be about 50% as PhantomBigStu said...

"To reduce development costs, the Su-47 borrowed the forward fuselage, vertical tails, and landing gear of the Su-27 family."  

Will leave it to the Mods and I really don't mind if it's ruled ineligible, it's only a hobby!

Cheers,

Dermot

I have about 4 different flankers (2 trumpy's double seaters and 2 Revell Su-27SM's) and hope to finish one before the end of this year but i don't promise a thing here. A few are started, but nowhere close to 20%. The 4 possibles are the ill-fated Belarussian Su-27UB, a Venezolan Su-30MKV, a Russian 'vanilla' Su-27SM or the original Russian black-grey-white Su-30KI demonstrator (not the '305'). The single seaters are started.

Greetings!

• Like 1

Definetly entering this now, found some Vallejo paints so ill don't need to get the Akan ones, so I'll be spending most of my birthday amazon voucher on a rezveda su27 and paint for it :) is just the find substitutes for the built su34, might look at atteemarket decals as wel

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

I'm now not sure whether I will be taking part in this GB......

I failed to finish my MiG-29 and have two F-15E on the go, will see where I get to with those by the end of this Month and then decide.

Will follow the build threads.

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

I'm now not sure whether I will be taking part in this GB......

I failed to finish my MiG-29 and have two F-15E on the go, will see where I get to with those by the end of this Month and then decide.

Will follow the build threads.

It is a hetic and hard to comply with GB year indeed!

But the Flanker one is a must, isn't it?

Edited by exdraken

15 minutes ago, exdraken said:

It is a hetic and hard to comply with GB year indeed!

But the Flanker one is a must, isn't it?

Well, I will admit that I was looking forward to this one  - perhaps do a few sub assemblies but stay within 25% rule meanwhile??

On 4.10.2017 at 12:00, PhantomBigStu said:

Actually a question concerning the su34, I have the tamiya edition, anyone got photos of the the two demo birds included? trying to find out if either was painted in the same colours used operationally on su34's 

If you scroll down you, will find some pics of the prototypes (demo planes):

http://airwar.ru/enc/bomber/su34.html

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks, obviously different, thats annoying 

depends on what proto you are willing to do, as the first (with the Su-27P style tail) is a bit difficult, but however the Italeri kit is based on the later proto's which the '343' is an example. The colors I don't know if they are really the same as some of the earlier operational planes. Question is, if it's because the poor quality pictures from the earlier pre-production planes rather than other paint used...

Greetings!

14 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

depends on what proto you are willing to do, as the first (with the Su-27P style tail) is a bit difficult, but however the Italeri kit is based on the later proto's which the '343' is an example. The colors I don't know if they are really the same as some of the earlier operational planes. Question is, if it's because the poor quality pictures from the earlier pre-production planes rather than other paint used...

Greetings!

The kit has decals for Blue 43 Kubinka 1994 & 45/349 Paris Airshow 1995. Think I will just splash out on a set of operation decals so I can use the proper paint set.