A Kette of Stukas - Fujimi Junkers Ju87B x 3

Hello gents

Next I will be building three of the old but worthy Fujimi Ju87B:

DSCN3925.jpg

Two are the "Immelman" boxing and one the "Shark Mouth" though I won't be building either of the schemes shown on the box art as they fall outside of the time-frame for the BoB GB. Although they are different boxings they contain the same parts so I will just show the contents from one of them. The instructions:

DSCN3927.jpg

... and the sprue shots:

DSCN3928.jpg

DSCN3931.jpg

The clear parts:

DSCN3933.jpg

... and a few extras: Quickboost B-2 style exhausts and Eduard canopy masks...

DSCN3935.jpg

... Eduard Superfabric seat harness sets:

DSCN3938.jpg

... and just in case I need them, the early style metal propeller (these are from a set intended for the early Ju88A-4 but the props and spinners are the same for the Ju87B-1):

DSCN3937.jpg

I'm not sure what markings I will be using yet but one will be this famous aircraft from StG.2 (from the Kagero Battle of Britain Vol.1 book/transfer set) which was shot down and landed in fairly complete condition near Selsey in Sussex on 16 August 1940 and was subsequently much photographed:

DSCN3944.jpg

plus one from StG.1 (with the Hans Huckebein diving raven badge) and one from StG.77 if I can cobble together the necessary combination of codes and staffel badge... this set

DSCN3941.jpg

and this:

DSCN3943.jpg

should help with that as the markings for a BoB Stuka should be the same but without the yellow theatre markings...

At present all the sprues have been washed and are air-drying (trans: I am about to have an afternooon nap so can't be bothered to dry them myself) so I hope to start on them this evening.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 18

Hi Stew,

Great choice of subjects. I'll be following with interest, since I have plans for a future B-version build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I've got a couple of these in the stash somewhere so will be watching with interest.

So you weren't at the Dundee Model Show today then? I thought I saw your Dornier and Defiants on the Dundee club table though.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

Great choice of subjects. I'll be following with interest, since I have plans for a future B-version build.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, delighted to have you along for the ride, glad you could join me :)

I've got a couple of these in the stash somewhere so will be watching with interest.

So you weren't at the Dundee Model Show today then? I thought I saw your Dornier and Defiants on the Dundee club table though.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, I hope it will be interesting... so the Dundee Model Show was today? Curses! I had a brief conversation with DAG058 about it but in the end we decided it couldn't be today as I couldn't find it advertised anywhere! That's a blow, I would have liked to visit that... but no, clearly that was someone else's Defiant and Dornier... :weep:

Nice subjects Stew. :popcorn:

Thanks Ced and welcome along :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

3 Ju87s! With a great biplane already in the bag, your going great guns Stew. Joe

• Like 1

Good move! Build your examples of the current best-of-breed before the new Airfix one comes along and blows it out of the water. Afraid my build rate isn't up to that. Nice kit, just a bit scant on the internal detail.

• Like 1

Nice one Stew,my LMS had a 40% of Revell kit,s last week so I grabbed a couple of the Italeri-re-boxed version for a fiver each so

sometime before the end of the GB I hope to use the decal's you sent me to build one, I,ve another one of the Italeri boxed version's

with the large snake artwork along the side and a Tamiya(Italeri) boxing without the wheel spat's for a Russian front aircraft so might

follow you with a triple build later in the year,look forward to following this thread.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

3 Ju87s! With a great biplane already in the bag, your going great guns Stew. Joe

Thanks Joe; I always like to get one model in the gallery as early as possible, then I can do as many builds as I want and if I don't finish them I don't have to feel bad about it :lol:

if it's any consolation, I turned up for the show last week after making a special trip through to Dundee!

Duncan B

Oh Duncan, I get no consolation from the suffering of others but a certain feeling of solidarity that we have both in our way suffered for the Dundee IPMS's lack of advertising nous - hopefully they will be a bit more en pointe next year.

If they turn out as good as your first entry, I'm in.

Ozzy

Thanks Ozzy, welcome along, I'll see what I can do :)

" STUKA's " !

Ah, quality acting from Michael Caine there... :pilot:

Good move! Build your examples of the current best-of-breed before the new Airfix one comes along and blows it out of the water. Afraid my build rate isn't up to that. Nice kit, just a bit scant on the internal detail.

Er, I had no idea my strategy was so transparent :blush: - but yes, absolutely right, I believed that once the new Airfix kit is released the Fujimis would linger forever in my stash like a bad smell :lol: - it is a nice kit and reasonably detailed for its age, but no sidewall detail at all. Doing three kits isn't three times as much work as doing one though, economies of scale and all that...

Nice one Stew,my LMS had a 40% of Revell kit,s last week so I grabbed a couple of the Italeri-re-boxed version for a fiver each so

sometime before the end of the GB I hope to use the decal's you sent me to build one, I,ve another one of the Italeri boxed version's

with the large snake artwork along the side and a Tamiya(Italeri) boxing without the wheel spat's for a Russian front aircraft so might

follow you with a triple build later in the year,look forward to following this thread.

Good choice, I haven't seen one in the plastic as it were but what I have seen of the Revell/Italeri Stuka leads me to think it is a very nice kit, I would have been in for a couple too if I didn't already have these three.

Nice choice stew, look forward to seeing how these turn out.

Thanks mate, nice to have you along :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I removed the internals from the sprues and started cleaning them up - I also removed the head armour from the pilot's seat as I don't believe it was fitted during the BoB period (or not universally at least)... left seat before, right seat after.

DSCN3947.jpg

I then assembled the cockpit interior components. Fujimi seem to suggest that the interior is RLM66 (at least I think that's what they are suggesting, it was all in Japanese apart from 'RLM66') but I decided I will go with RLM02 unless anyone knows better? I did paint the IP in Vallejo 'German Grey' which is a reasonable substitute for RLM66 - it is still wet in the picture below:

DSCN3949.jpg

To hide the fact that I am too lazy and lack the talent to detail the interior that there is very little interior detail I decided to crew the Stukas after all, I found some PJ Productions pilots in the 'stuff' box...

DSCN3951.jpg

They will do for starters, and with a little leg-unbending the Airfix 109E pilots can be impressed into service as Stuka crews:

DSCN3955.jpg

Yep, they'll do too.

So today's plans hopefully encompass masking the canopies, painting the interiors and painting up the crews...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Great work, as usual Stew. The seat surgery is invisible and I look forward to your usual excellent figure painting.

As you know I'm obsessed with crewing at the moment so can I ask please, how did you do "a little leg-unbending"??

• Like 1

Great work, as usual Stew. The seat surgery is invisible and I look forward to your usual excellent figure painting.

As you know I'm obsessed with crewing at the moment so can I ask please, how did you do "a little leg-unbending"??

Thank you Ced, I will divulge the secret but you must not tell our mutual friend PC as it could be most off-putting for him: I apply a No.10 (curved) Swann Morton blade to the back of the knee but don't cut right through the leg, then use main force to bend the leg straighter; once the desired angle is achieved I apply a blob of superglue gel to the back of the knee to fill the wedge-shaped gap and restore stability.

Very intresting Stew ,can i ask , how are you going to display them . I like the idea of all three peeking off into a dive

I very much like that idea too Alistair but the sad truth of the matter is that they will end up on my bookshelf :lol: - besides they are all going to be from different Stuka gruppen so it would look a bit odd them flying together in formation... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hey Rob, nice to see you mate :D

I think I set the bar a little high this morning, bearing in mind my essential laziness and the various chores and tasks I had to take care of, not to mention the sheer amount of masking required by a Stuka canopy... if it hadn't been for the Eduard mask sets I think I would have been rocking back and forth in a corner sobbing inconsolably by now.

Fortunately I did have the Eduard masks so it only took me most of the day to mask up the transparencies - here are half of them:

DSCN3956.jpg

I blocked them with Blu-tack to prevent paint ingress and to stick them onto coffee stirrers for easy handling. Then I sprayed the interior parts and the exterior of the canopies in Phoenix Precision Paints RLM02:

DSCN3959.jpg

... and that's more or less where I am now, I did make a start on the crews but not enough progress to merit a picture. Hopefully I can press on with them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Good work on the canopies, Stew. I know what it takes to mask canopies by hand... :banghead: Regarding painting them, I use exactly the same technique as yours.

Keep posting :clap2:

Jaime

• Like 1

Nice, very nice. You could also use the Immelman markings, but without the yellow markings. I have done that 5 years ago on the 1/24 Airfix kit. For a BoB groups build from IPMS the Netherlands. I used T6 + CK with the red dog shield and the tip of the propellor boss red as well.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime, will do :)

Thanks Arnie - I've got a set of Kagero StG.2 markings with "Molch" - the little Scottish Terrier badge - on it, but although I have found references from the Polish Campaign and Operation Marita showing it I haven't been able to find any indication that it was used in the Battle of Britain.

This is the scheme - if you have any information on it I would be grateful, as I would like to continue my occasional 'Dog Nose Art' theme :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Great start on an interesting project. Pilot figures are a very helpful solution, to hide missing details, especially with a closed canopy.

The canopy of the Ju 87 had some braces inside of the plexi glass, you can simulate this with painting them in RLM 02.

• Like 1

Your doing really well Stew. I can't believe you've got all three underway so quick. Joe :)

• Like 1