Missed this one Paul ! Thats one lovely Vulcan resplendent in anti flash white and the little details like the rbf tags really make for a realistic look.

It has been a long time since I done one of these and wouldn't mind having another go (maybe a what if ?)

:goodjob:

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Stix and Meatbox8 - Wishing you both "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind replies.

The white paint is Halford's 'Appliance White' Acrylic Car Paint sprayed from the rattlecan.The decals were sandwiched between 3 brush-applied coats of 'Klear'.

😉👍 As always,

Paul.

Thanks for the info.  I'll try this on one of my Valiants (the Mach 2 one!) then when I'm feeling confident about it I'll do the same with the Airfix one and my new Victor.  All my V-Bombers have to be white deliverers of instant sunshine!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Very nice. Fresh from the factory gloss white. Love it. :clap2:

1 hour ago, F4u said:

Missed this one Paul ! Thats one lovely Vulcan resplendent in anti flash white and the little details like the rbf tags really make for a realistic look.

It has been a long time since I done one of these and wouldn't mind having another go (maybe a what if ?)

:goodjob:

Guy

Hello,Mark and Guy - Wishing you both "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind replies.

This was the first 'Vulcan' that I'd built for a long,long time.Having a bit more fettling experience now I look forward to tackling the subject again without doubt.Maybe with a 'Valiant' and 'Victor' added for good measure too!? I share your love of the Anti-Flash White Scheme. 😉👍

As always,

Paul.

32 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll try this on one of my Valiants (the Mach 2 one!) then when I'm feeling confident about it I'll do the same with the Airfix one and my new Victor.  All my V-Bombers have to be white deliverers of instant sunshine!

Hello,Meatbox8 - My pleasure.I stood the well- shaken rattlecan in warm water for a few minutes prior to use.I know some of our colleagues on the Forum decant this material and spray it through an airbrush but I wouldn't dare do that with mine.

Wishing you successful builds with your 'V-Bombers'! 😉👍

All the very best,

Paul.

4 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Meatbox8 - My pleasure.I stood the well- shaken rattlecan in warm water for a few minutes prior to use.I know some of our colleagues on the Forum decant this material and spray it through an airbrush but I wouldn't dare do that with mine.

Wishing you successful builds with your 'V-Bombers'! 😉👍

All the very best,

Paul.

Great tip.  Does that make the paint more fluid?  I've never decanted from a rattle can either and I've also not been getting on too well with my airbrush recently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

Great tip.  Does that make the paint more fluid?  I've never decanted from a rattle can either and I've also not been getting on too well with my airbrush recently. 

Hello,Meatbox8 - Yes indeed.Standing the rattle in warm water does make the paint more fluid. I use the Halford's grey and white primers and I always 'pre-warm' the paint in this way as standard.The subsequent 'Klear' coats also have a smoothing effect on the finish.Regarding using my airbrush with the Halford's paint,I'm too scared of getting it gummed up.It's very fast drying and sets like rock.

I'm happy enough with the 'rattlecan' method. Wishing you good luck with your builds. 😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

16 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Meatbox8 - Yes indeed.Standing the rattle in warm water does make the paint more fluid. I use the Halford's grey and white primers and I always 'pre-warm' the paint in this way as standard.The subsequent 'Klear' coats also have a smoothing effect on the finish.Regarding using my airbrush with the Halford's paint,I'm too scared of getting it gummed up.It's very fast drying and sets like rock.

I'm happy enough with the 'rattlecan' method. Wishing you good luck with your builds. 😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thank you very much Paul.  Actually I've just remembered that the Airfix Nimrod has worked its way up to the top of the stash and I'll be doing it in the white and grey classic scheme. Seems like a good enough excuse to try your method.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thank you very much Paul.  Actually I've just remembered that the Airfix Nimrod has worked its way up to the top of the stash and I'll be doing it in the white and grey classic scheme. Seems like a good enough excuse to try your method.

Hello,Meatbox8 - Your 'Nimrod' build and chosen scheme will look superb.The White / Grey 'Classic' Scheme is also my personal favourite for the type.Please let me know how you get on with the paint process.Good luck!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Meatbox8 - Your 'Nimrod' build and chosen scheme will look superb.The White / Grey 'Classic' Scheme is also my personal favourite for the type.Please let me know how you get on with the paint process.Good luck!

I will indeed.  In fact, you never know, if the build goes according to plan, I might actually post some pics in the RFI.  It's about time really, having been a member for five years now!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I will indeed.  In fact, you never know, if the build goes according to plan, I might actually post some pics in the RFI.  It's about time really, having been a member for five years now!

I'm sure the build will go according to plan,Meatbox8.It will be a treat to view your 'Nimrod'when she's completed and that sentiment will be shared by many.

Hello,Pat - Wishing you "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind reply.

Dougie was a true gentleman.Our acquaintance came about from my writing to him after Woodford took delivery of their Vulcan after its retirement from service.He responded by phone and following our chat he invited Pam and I over to meet him one Sunday for a showround.From this developed complimentary VIP Passes to the Woodford Airshows and various souvenirs.We visited many times and often at his home to meet his good lady.

He had little time for Press/Media people professionally but as a lifelong aviation enthusiast and AVRO devotee he welcomed me 'into his world' and for that alone,he'll always have a place in my heart and fondest memories.

I plan on doing further AVRO subjects including a better 'Vulcan' build, in honour of Dougie and all he represented.

• Like 1

You have pulled another beauty out of the hat Paul and yet another blemish free paint scheme....and from a rattle can, fantastic. The V bombers IMHO always looked best in white and your Vulcan is a fine tribute to your friend, he sounded like a true gent of the old school.

I look forward to further V Bomber builds from your pallet Paul.

Kindest regards

Gary

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

You have pulled another beauty out of the hat Paul and yet another blemish free paint scheme....and from a rattle can, fantastic. The V bombers IMHO always looked best in white and your Vulcan is a fine tribute to your friend, he sounded like a true gent of the old school.

I look forward to further V Bomber builds from your pallet Paul.

Kindest regards

Gary

Many thanks to you once again,Gary.Yes,Dougie was a true gent of the old school but also a great character with a real sense of humour.He was at 'AVRO' for over 40 years and involved in Lancaster,Lincoln,Shackleton and Vulcan programmes.

As you'd expect,their were times of great triumph,achievement,hilarity and of course,sadness.I told him many times that he should write a book but he was the sort of man who preferred  to tell his story while enjoying a glass of his favourite whiskey, sat around the pub table.A man you could talk and listen to and never tire of doing so.

😉🍻👍 All the very best, Paul.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Don't remember seeing this first time round, but what a beauty :)

Hello,Woody - Wishing you "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind reply.Don't worry about missing this build the first time round - you haven't missed much!😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Pat - Wishing you "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind reply.

Dougie was a true gentleman.Our acquaintance came about from my writing to him after Woodford took delivery of their Vulcan after its retirement from service.He responded by phone and following our chat he invited Pam and I over to meet him one Sunday for a showround.From this developed complimentary VIP Passes to the Woodford Airshows and various souvenirs.We visited many times and often at his home to meet his good lady.

He had little time for Press/Media people professionally but as a lifelong aviation enthusiast and AVRO devotee he welcomed me 'into his world' and for that alone,he'll always have a place in my heart and fondest memories.

I plan on doing further AVRO subjects including a better 'Vulcan' build, in honour of Dougie and all he represented.

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about Dougie. If we are lucky we can perhaps meet one person like Dougie in a lifetime and that has a really positive effect on who we are as a person. When I was an apprentice I had the great fortune to be taken under the wing of a very highly skilled craftsmen call Ron who taught me all about Classic cars, and motorcycles, which had nothing to do we our employment !

He was an ex RAF dispatch rider, so all things aircraft related was very much to the fore as well as motor vehicles. This is an interest I have never lost and now look to inflict ( whoops sorry ! ) pass onto my kids. 

Im really glad you took the time and made the special effort to build the Vulcan, but can I suggest you try to write down some of the things you remember, so that these things are not forgotten.

kindest regards Pat

• Like 1

How did I miss this one the first time around,........it is yet another stunner Paul and I`m sure that Dougie would have loved it mate,.....I certainly do!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodmin said:

Lovely build and a great finish. The flash white does total justice to the model and a fitting tribute.

Are they particular decals for the blue steel missile?

Hello,Bodmin - Wishing you "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind reply. The 'roundel' decal on the missile was sourced from a 'Type-D' Roundel Decal Sheet.I got mine from 'Model-Art'.These items will be easily available,I'm sure.

I put these on after seeing an early 'showcase' photo,perhaps at Farnbrough, of a 'Blue Steel' wearing them.They weren't worn 'in service' but I bent the rules a bit to fly 'The Best of British' Flag in model form.

😉👍 All the very best, Paul.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tonyot said:

How did I miss this one the first time around,........it is yet another stunner Paul and I`m sure that Dougie would have loved it mate,.....I certainly do!

Cheers

Tony

Hello,Tony - Wishing you a well-deserved "All The Best" for the New Year and also Birthday Greetings,Good Sir!

I plan to try harder and do better with a future 'Vulcan'build.("Hurry up,Mr.Revell!?):please:

I also intend to add 'Lancaster' and 'Shackleton' builds to my 'AVRO' Tribute.When we next meet I'll tell you all about Dougie.

Pam and I wish you better health and happiness.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Bodmin - Wishing you "All The Best" for the New Year and my thanks and appreciation for your very kind reply. The 'roundel' decal on the missile was sourced from a 'Type-D' Roundel Decal Sheet.I got mine from 'Model-Art'.These items will be easily available,I'm sure.

I put these on after seeing an early 'showcase' photo,perhaps at Farnbrough, of a 'Blue Steel' wearing them.They weren't worn 'in service' but I bent the rules a bit to fly 'The Best of British' Flag in model form.

😉👍 All the very best, Paul.

Thanks Paul. Nice added touch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, goggsy said:

Excellent work, love it. 

Hello again,Goggsy and my thanks and appreciation to your goodself for your very kind reply. I'm very pleased you give her a 'thumbs up'.

• Like 1