Pfalz D III fuselage interior

Peter Roberts

I can't find the reference material just now, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the interior of the Pfalz DIII fuselage was covered in fabric. Vague recollection this was from the technical report made out on a captured aircraft.

Is that correct, or is my (aged) brain playing tricks on me?

PR

I seem to recall only outside was covered in fabric and interior was possibly painted a blue-grey (and you could see the diagonal lamination pattern)? Run a search for Pfalz D.III interior and read what's in the "Aerodrome" site results that come up. Also:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3002

HTH
Andy

I've seen it reported that the interior fuselage of the Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa were painted/varnished in Silbergrau - the Blaugrau (as recommended by WnW) interiors were only applied to the Pfalz D.VII, D.VIII and D.XII.

Because the Pfalz D.IIIa was a monocoque plywood fuselage there would have been no reason to cover the interior with fabric as it would have only have added to the weight of an aircraft which was already struggling for speed/power. As the fuselage was made in two halves (just like a model) it was then covered in doped fabric to ensure that the halves didn't part company in service but there would have been no value in covering the interior of the fuselage.

I don't think there is any conclusive information for the interiors of Pfalz D.IIIa's in general. They could easily be silver dope or varnish or whatever protective coating was to hand at a given time in the factory and, unless you have conclusive proof of a particular aircraft's interior coating I would go with the silbergrau or wood.

• Like 1