Camouflage a Mirage

ANovaScotian

Hey All

So *Spoiler Alert* I'm throwing together a what-if RCAF Mirage 2000, however, I can't rightly decide on what camouflage scheme to use. Seeing as how it was in competition against the F-18, using the CF-18 style low-viz camouflage would make sense, however, every real Mirage in the world has some sort of two/three tone scheme which makes me think that the CF-5 or CF-104 camouflage would look good.

94_4.png

94_12.png

21_74.jpg

Any ideas?

Regards

ANS

When the Mirage 2000 first entered service it used a scheme developed from the manufacturer based on paints that exploited to a point the Tyndall effect to change at different altitudes. I believe that had Canada selected the type, they would have accepted the manufacturer scheme.

At the same time, if you want to try something different, one option may be the 3-grey scheme used by the CF-5s in their final years.

This scheme however was only designed for AA use, had Canada devoted aircrafts to Air-to-Ground missions, they would have had to resort to a different scheme... as the AG tasked Mirage 2000D and N use a classic grey/green scheme (actually 2 different schemes), the older CF-104 scheme would have not been out of place.

• Like 1

Really cool idea. I love what-ifs and for some reason my recent idea for my what-ifs have all been CAF or RCAF so your idea of the Mirage 2000 wearing some sort of RCAF scheme is a great one. As Giorgio has said the D or N version of the 2000 wore that grey/gren scheme. I think that if you go that way it wouldbe no different than the French aircraft and people might not veen notice until they look close and the roundels are different.

Personally you could use the old CF-104 scheme with the natural metal fuselage with white wings. Now that would be different!! In a what if I think you need to really catch people's eyes and have they do a double take.

Another idea might be an agressor CF-5 in one of the camo schemes they wore before going the tone downed route.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks guys!

I think I may have something that will work. I might try the stock Mirage camouflage pattern, but use the Hornet camouflage colors. This would give it a similar look to the low-viz Taiwan Mirages.

800px-Mirage_2000-5EI_in_Gangshan_Air_Fo

Let me know what you think.

....or this

http://www.aero-pix.com/oceana/cf18/cf18-f.jpg

or this

http://www.hyperstealth.com/ADP/cf-18-Thunder-80-65-259.jpg

or this

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/assets/AIRFORCE_Internet/images/news-nouvelles/2015/04/bn01-2015-0199-022.jpg

Seriously though, the Taiwanese scheme is the most probable, although the CF-18 used different greys to the USN versions, maybe the Canadian shades on the Taiwanese pattern is the way to go?

Trevor

That just cries out for a false canopy. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Seconded.

But..

Seeing as the 'false canopy' schemes are single colour top & bottom, maybe wrap the camouflage around so the top is indistinguishable from the bottom?