1/12 Italeri Mefistofele

Hi Guys,

I am new here. Just to share the completed 1/12 Italeri Fiat Mefistofele. It was a nice kit, but a lot of details were added. These additions include the rivets on the body and frame, inside the hood, using real wood and wood veneers to replace every plastic part which was supposed to be wood, scratch built seat as the one that came with the kit was way off, and using some copper pipes to replace the copper wire supplied.

Mefistofele%201.jpg

Mefistofele%202.jpg

Mefistofele%203.jpg

Mefistofele%204.jpg

Mefistofele%205.jpg

Mefistofele%206.jpg

Mefistofele%207.jpg

Mefistofele%208.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 19

great build, beautifully detailed, looks like it could be driven. think i have seen this car running at goodwood, all your model lacks are the puddles of fluids which the real one drops everywhere.

Lovely job! It's all I can do not to start on mine yet!

Can I ask what paint you used for the bodywork? Have you knocked the shine back, or is it just the photo's? It has a nice, slightly aged, matted feel to it, which is closer than most to the original hand brushed finish.

Thanks for the compliments.

Codger, your Pocher builds and those of the other forum members were the inspiration I needed to take on this kit.

Vontrips, i used Mr. Color Super Italian Red. When you start your kit, be careful on the decals. I am not sure who printed the decals, but they are extremely thick. I had to cut out each letter so that it is easier to conceal the decal edges. After the decals went on, i sprayed on 5 layers of Super Clear III, then sanded it back to remove the decal edges. After that, i laid on 2 layers of Mr. Color Semi Gloss Clear.

I did not was a glossy finish as most of the pictures i saw did not have a glossy finish like modern day cars.

Do let me know if i may assist in anyway.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Vontrips,

On the 4th picture showing the seat, there's the wooden bulkhead (not sure if the term is correct). This piece is not included in the kit. Took me quite sometime to get the shape right as there's a lot of flex on the body before and after fixing on the floorboards.

Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stunning piece of work - truly glorious and @griffsrw, yes, it has definitely been run at Goodwood.- awesome beast.

Here's a little inspiration to help along anybody contemplating this kit

Goody 2011:

Waiting for the off

IMG_0410_zpsb4xfxkxx.jpg

Pull start!

IMG_0438_zpsetkxeus8.jpg

Thanks for showing, Jeremy.

cheers

Rick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone,

beautiful built JnKm 13 really congratulations also for the added improvements all top notch.

also the quality of painting is top.

i am about to start building this car and reviewing things;

Was wondering if you could help me with

1) where to get the right rivets and size please ?

2) did you get a metallic chain to replace the plastic ?

3) where did you get the wood ? is it Balsa ?

4) i am thinking of painting it black like the original one, but the red is really something ! what do you think ?

also i think i will do mine a bit weathered and dusty, as if it just came back from a spin :) hahaha a nice way to hide my mistakes :)

thanks a million

Sam

Hi guys,

Thanks for the compliments. Much appreciated.

Sam, to answer your questions;

1) The rivets are from Master Club. I bought them from HobbyEasy of Hong Kong. The ones i used are Flat Spherical Rivets, 0.9mm, but i think 0.8 or 0.7mm would suffice since primer and paint build up would enlarge them.

2) The chain was from the kit. I did consider the poor plastic chain supplied, but it would mean 3 sets of the 1/12 motorbike chains which would be way out of my budget.

3) Wood used is a mixture of balsa, and walnut veneers. Balsa was used for the 2 long pieces on the hood area, while the veneers were used on the seating area.

4) The black will look cool, and will save you the hassle of blending in the "mefistofele" decal which is quite thick. But i don't think it would 'pop' as much as the red colour scheme when displayed.

If you search around the web, there's an Italian guy who did his heavily weathered. Though i don't understand Italian, it seems that he has metal chains fabricated for him. I'm not really a fan of weathered automobiles, but it's mainly due to my lack of skills when it comes to weathering.

Good luck with your build.

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you very much for these precious information and good wishes.

1) i will look for the 07.mm rivets then.

2) For the chain, i will decide later ( depending on budget :)

3) I have used balsa wood before on a Hispano Suiza Alfonso and liked it so much i added wooden planks on one of the sides and ended building up a totally fictitious HS Alfonso ! but great fun. so i guess i will use real wood.

Ak interactive has come up with extraordinary paints and filters to reproduce wood may be i try this for the seat area.

by the way your seat reproduction is incredible, the leather looks so comfortable !

4) Still not decided on the color. i hope i will build the forthcoming Alfa 1/12 racer by Italeri and this one will definitely be RED. But the Mefisto in red is also something.

Your skills seem way up there...... My skills with playing with pigments and oils are that of a beginner. I find it brings incredible authenticity provided one knows how NOT to over do it.

kind regards

Sam

Hi Sam,

I used real wood because my painting skills would not have looked good. I stained the balsa wood using Minwax Golden Oak then coated it with semi gloss, and for the walnut veneers, I used Minwax Natural stain.

The seat that came with the kit looks totally fictional, so i had no choice but to scratch build a new one.

Colin,

I know that Italeri will be releasing a 1/12 Fiat 806 racer, also a re-box of Protar. Would totally love it if they have any 1/12 classic Alphas.

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy hi,

No...sorry.....it was mentioned to me by a model shop owner in switzerland just last week. i was taking delivery of the Bentley Airfix....had to wait about a month to get it.

I also asked for a link or brochure. Not yet" He said. then he said Italeri and Airfix are starting to compete with old timers in 12 scale, the Benthley and the Mefisto are selling well all over the world.

All other classic models are otherwise in the 3 to 4 digit prices. So it seems there is a niche. He said the next Italeri is going to be the Fiat racer then Alpha Romeos etc. i will follow up with him when back home. Am travelling now. Cheers

• 2 months later...

Italeri has released the 1/12 Fiat 806 and it's on its way to me. Will probably start this kit sometime around January. Hope that 2016 will see more of the classic racers in 1/12.

I absolutely love the Airfix 1/12 Bentley, but seeing how much effort needs to be put in on this kit, i'm afraid i don't have the skills to do this kit justice.