Metalcote - how to remove fingerprint residue?

speedy

So I'm placing my under carriage doors on and where I've been holding it trimming, subsequent handling the model has left a finger tip residue where I've been holding the model while gluing the doors on. How can I get rid of the smudges of silver without affecting my painted finish.

Steve.

Hello,Speedy - Everybody developed their own method of working with materials.My build of 'Saudi Lightning' was painted wholly with Aluminium Metalcote.See the photos on RFI at the moment.My trick is to seal over thecMetalcote with just a coat of Klear(brush applied) to seal the actual Metalcote finish.This protects it from handling,masking,weathering,etc.Ihope my reply may be of interest and benefit to you.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

A drop of glass cleaner should do the trick.Something water or Isopropyl Alcohol based that won't react with the paint and will remove grease.To be honest a drop of washing up liquid would probably work as long as the paint has fully cured.

If the fingerprints have gone through the surface of the paint then a gentle drybrushing with a white spirit dipped brush will get you out of trouble.

I had a similar problem with my Percival Prentice build last year,the link is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952355-skybirds-86-percival-prentice-in-172nd-scalefinished/page-3

• Like 1