MiG-29 STGB chat

logical

I think I will have to join this with either a Trumpeter SMT or Zvezda if the new one is out, or not..I'll be in with one or a few. May even try a Russian Navy K somehow...

well this ones sort of crept up on me, I was sort of ready for it.......maybe in a couple or months or so!!!! :D

Ok folks on the 1st July we kick this one off, so time now for those final last minute preparations.

Unfortunately Pin has a very full schedule so will not be able to act as host/co-host. Does anyone know where logical might be, he doesn't seem to have been online since Aug16.

In the meantime I'll act as Host to get this one underway, Enzo will also be on hand to help out as well if required. I'll try and get some rules up, but they'll be the standard stuff that everyone knows about.

Even though this one sort of caught me out I'm pretty well organised........ have just about all the AM stuff available for a Slovakian MiG-29AS! 

• Like 2

Right this is here, definetly want to join, not got a mig29 in my collection, just go to pick up a Zvezda one. The sticky point is the paint, need to see if I can find substitutes amoungts what I have or the brands I have easy access to, just can't brng myself to fork out 35 pounds on the kit and akan paints........

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Gunze acrylics are bound to have the colour matches you need. With a good paint conversion sheet you may even be able to find some Tamiya colours as well.

Someone here is bound to be able to help you out for which paints to use, once you have a scheme in mind.

Yep, if anyone who coloud hep is reading its the pale green grey scheme for the 9.13, though I now thinking of trying pick up decals for a polish bird as I know they are painted in federal standard paints :) though that would  Im guessing require the trumpeter or italeri, which are not suitable for the inflight mode I prefer

Edited by PhantomBigStu

arrgh I have got so many builds in the pipeline at the moment I am not sure I will find the time but I really want to take part in this one, I have 4 or 5 29s in the stash and a couple of nice decal sheets for them. We shall see...!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

arrgh I have got so many builds in the pipeline at the moment I am not sure I will find the time but I really want to take part in this one, I have 4 or 5 29s in the stash and a couple of nice decal sheets for them. We shall see...!

Go on you know you want to! If you have four of five firing a few in here to create space will be worth it

• Like 1

I'm in, Italeri for sure, but then

MiG-29 or MiG-29UB,

czech or slovak,

DDR or BRD...

or a serbian with the low-vis version 1930's classic nationality markings

Choices, choices.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Go on you know you want to! If you have four of five firing a few in here to create space will be worth it

It would but I don't normally cope well with multiple builds at the same time lol

I do have the urge to build a Cuban or Iranian one though... 

• Like 3

I don't know if anyone else knew, but I have just discovered the Russian Akan paints are on eday for all Russian aircraft fans. I brush paint and these auto thin out, no marks, plus accurate colours....usually 

well worth a look if your into your Russian/Soviet stuff. 

I have seen them on there too and have heard some good stuff about them, I may have to give them a try now. 

I had, well still am building a Slovakian MiG-29AS in the digital scheme, originally I was going the easy way with the scheme and use the kit decals. But never one for doing things the easy way I have since found that there are some masks available for this scheme, so now I'll be painting it. Oh the joys of masking!

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I don't know if anyone else knew, but I have just discovered the Russian Akan paints are on eday for all Russian aircraft fans. I brush paint and these auto thin out, no marks, plus accurate colours....usually 

well worth a look if your into your Russian/Soviet stuff. 

I concur. Akan's Fulcrum Gray/Green is the only accurate representation of this difficult-to-reproduce color in acrylic and which I assume a lot of you will be using for this GB

• Like 2

Could you add me to this GB?

I know I normally ask to be added to GB's and never follow through, but I currently have two Trumpeter 1/72 kits - single seat & twin seaters. Which I am about to start, with schemes for the Polish Air Force "Heroes Of Kosciuszko" I will be doing the twin seat Red 15 and the single seat Red 56.

Thankyou!

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phantome said:

New Zvezda MiG-29SMT ordered...

... I am £20 poorer...

... but my soul is happy :D

Yesss! Very wise choice sir, can't wait till you build it. May have to grab one too, £20 bucks easy blown

• 2 weeks later...

ok this will probably start a debate but does anyone know what colour the cockpit "should be" for a MiG-29?

Early on in their lives they were painted that horrible bluey-green colour that was meant to be easy on the eyes!! But from what I can find out this was only in the very early models, Soviet ones only???

The cockpits now are a bluey-grey or grey colour, and there seems to be quite a bit of variation in that as well. Mentioned colors range from "Dark Ghost Grey" which has that blue tint to it to "Dark Gull Grey". Not that this really helps either as there are lots of variations within these colours as well.

For my Slovak beast "Dark Gull Grey" 36378 looks to be a good match. 

But does anyone have a definitive answer or know a really good site with the info on it, as it seems to be a popular question on a lot of sites.

On 7/6/2017 at 1:27 AM, trickyrich said:

ok this will probably start a debate but does anyone know what colour the cockpit "should be" for a MiG-29?

Early on in their lives they were painted that horrible bluey-green colour that was meant to be easy on the eyes!! But from what I can find out this was only in the very early models, Soviet ones only???

The cockpits now are a bluey-grey or grey colour, and there seems to be quite a bit of variation in that as well. Mentioned colors range from "Dark Ghost Grey" which has that blue tint to it to "Dark Gull Grey". Not that this really helps either as there are lots of variations within these colours as well.

For my Slovak beast "Dark Gull Grey" 36378 looks to be a good match. 

But does anyone have a definitive answer or know a really good site with the info on it, as it seems to be a popular question on a lot of sites.

From my research from photos they tend to be grey, I use Akan radio transparent grey which looks good for modern MiG-29 match. The instructions for the new MiG-29 SMT by Trumpeter calls for Light Blue! I think a medium grey is correct to my eyes. 

• Like 1

I am wondering what to do about replacing my MiG-29 photo bucket posts. I can't seem to get the pics off there. Do I start new threads or just carry on with new photos from where I left off? Now using Flickr...bye bye photo advert iPad crash bucket. See you in room 101..

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I am wondering what to do about replacing my MiG-29 photo bucket posts. I can't seem to get the pics off there. Do I start new threads or just carry on with new photos from where I left off? Now using Flickr...bye bye photo advert iPad crash bucket. See you in room 101..

you should just be able to go to each post where you want to change the photo, select edit and then delete the PB image the add in the new one. It'll be a longish process but it should allow you to have all your lovely photos up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23.10.2016 at 3:30 PM, Muzz said:

The 9.12 is the original incarnation and there is early and late types, other than inside the cockpit I believe the only main distinguishing feature is the early version had two stabilising fins protruding down the outside of the engine just underneath the rear tailplanes. Later 9.12 versions don't have these.

Not completely!
The earliest MiG-29 of izd.9-12 
in addition to mentioned the rear tailplanes  

20170805_011246.jpg

20170805_011313.jpg

I had other design of nose
wheels,

20170805_011258.jpg

20170805_011412.jpg

earliest MiG-29 of izd.9-12 without

blocks Infrared countermeasure

20170805_011420.jpg

20170805_011433.jpg

were also small distinctions as handle of opening of a cocpit:

20170805_011506.jpg

Besides the earliest MiG-29 of izd. 9-12
were from above in a camouflage from sand, light and dark shades green. From below blue.

20170805_011342.jpg

As example:

23-3843293-grebni-mig-29.jpg

The problem is that there are no photos of that the period on which it is possible to establish an arrangement of fields of a camouflage authentically the earliest MiG-29 of izd. 9-12.

Photo source from these books:
20170805_011649.jpg

I very much recommend these editions to all fan MiG-29 knowing Russian in view of careful and lovely approach of authors to this airplane. Unfortunately, as far as I know circulation of these books is sold out therefore they are available only in the secondary market.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...