I find it difficult to build only one model at a time so continuing the trend of building a vacform alongside a resin kit, I'm building this one;

80e1da62-2dc5-4616-bfa0-8c123cb60a8a.JPG

It's the Hallam-vac Auster AOP9 produced in the late 80's by the sorely missed Ron Firth.

Not many parts to this and I'll be finishing it as XP277 of the Royal Aircraft Establishment Radio Flight using my own decals. The kit decals look ok despite the backing paper having yellowed and the canopies look good - see my Prentice build for a recent unpleasant experience in that area!

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Re-link photos - thanks PhotoMuppet
  • Like 4

As this is only small I got the parts off the sheet and all rubbed down fairly quickly.

f08f7bf5-4b28-4d8f-b38e-ed665c25c3c9.JPG

Made a floor and bulkheads for strength and filled the rear fuselage with scrap plastic so I can drill into it for attaching the tailwheel and fin.

67378acc-68be-4c19-9f6b-2af8d7a91b66.JPG

Strips of plastic card added inside the wing halves for strength and to give a firm location for the struts. Also the aircraft I'm modelling has got a pod under each wing so I'll be able to drill into this rather than just having a butt joint.

dfb6a40e-66f8-4ffd-b736-f8cfce1fdb1e.JPG

The tailplane was only moulded as the top half as it is very thin, so I didn't rub it down but added some plastic card inside the lip then blended in with filler. Should be easy enough to sand to shape and then scribe the hinge lines.

7ce13318-5db0-464e-9855-df8d61d35b92.JPG

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 2

Are you back again!!! :D

You know my spiel by now, but this is even smaller than the Prentice, and no messing about either I see!

All the struts and undercarriage will be fun, will be interesting to see how you go about building those.

You are a brave man for tackling this one, as usual it will be great to see you build progressing under your skilled hands.

On 23/07/2015 at 01:18, trickyrich said:

Are you back again!!! :D

I can go and play somewhere else you know.........actually I can't as they won't let me, so you're stuck with me cluttering up this group build :bleh::rofl2:

Yes back again for more vacform bashing. At least this one needs far less work than the Prentice, everything seems to fit for a start! The fuselage went together easily and I've added the framework, instrument panel, pedals, control columns and the undercarriage legs. It's not really as messy as it looks here, the cockpit opening is only 30mm x 12mm

2225dd06-a150-4e6b-9b1a-3b29e25e1a9b.JPG

The tailplane was soon rubbed down and shaped before scribing the hinge line. I've added the fin and a couple of brass rods to secure it all to the fuselage.

5b059fbf-9160-4c5d-aa1d-12e57138dbd0.JPG

Brass rods through the canopy and into each wing for strength but also to represent the spars. Wingtip lights cut out and clear plastic shaped to fit. The framework to connect the wings to the fuselage is starting to come together as well - the brass spars will go through the holes in the white plastic. That should be fun to put together!

dca5f800-8c09-4ed7-b826-74a1ab3c0b8e.JPG

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 3

wow thats fast work!

I had forgotten about the canopy framework as well, thats really nicely done and clever as well. As for the detailing in the cockpit I don't know how you do, she is so tiny!.

love work, well done!

Thanks guys.

As the Bristol 188 build has been a pain I did some more on this today. Cockpit painted and seats in, the kit wheels are too small for the aircraft I'm modelling and the tailwheel was missing. After raiding the spares box and not finding a suitable tailwheel I made one in about 5 minutes from some brass and plastic rod and a bit of plastic tube. Also found some suitable wheels but the holes were too big so they've been filled. A couple of bombs were cut up to make the underwing pods on this aircraft, they need a bit more shaping but are nearly there.

decd7cc4-fd8b-4a3e-9fe3-535768face50.JPG

Close up of the canopy framework - very fiddly and delicate. The two struts coming down at the front will fit into the two holes in front of the instrument panel.

099983bb-02e6-4b84-a527-d095980000f7.JPG

Hoping to get the wing/canopy attached to the fuselage tomorrow........

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 2

Hello this is looking great.

Isn't it amazing what great kits there are out there, even when at first glance you might look and say 'nah'?. You really go to show what can be done with them.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Cheers, Ray

Thanks again.

I've never been one to rush out and buy the latest and greatest kit and then build it as soon as I got home - well not since I was a kid! For me it's more about the subject and if there's a kit , that's great as it saves scratchbuilding. A vacform to me is a step or two up from scratchbuilding and I enjoy adding the extra bits to them. There are some great older kits around and I really don't like to hear people dismissing them just because they are 'old' - lots of newer kits have far more faults that really shouldn't be there given the research available and manufacturing improvements over the years. Most vacforms and resins are produced by either one-man-bands or a small group of people with very limited resources and facilities and I feel they are often overlooked for their achievements and courage in producing these gems! In many cases no mainstream manufacturer is ever going to produce some of these subjects because the costs vs. returns don't add up. Smaller outfits make very little, if anything, from some of these kits, as I know from previous experience and I always try to support them where possible.

Whilst my Bristol 188 is currently causing me some extra and unexpected work, that wouldn't stop me from buying another Whirlybirds kit if the subject appealed. Sometimes it just has to be case of 'making' a model rather than just 'assembling' it. I know everybody is different and there is nothing wrong with a "shake the box and out pops a finished model" type of kit but it's just not for me, at least not on a regular basis!

Steve

• Like 2

Got the wing/canopy attached last might and it was still holding this morning, so I was pleased! All sorts of little details added and it's now masked up waiting for some primer to be splashed on as soon as the rain stops - can't beat English summers........

8911ccd1-9d1e-4e40-af14-d744d3508b1c.JPG

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 2

It's finished! Only took a week, who said vacforms need loads of work?

ec99f7fb-ce1d-48db-8b3d-b1ecc7cbb052.JPG

More pics in the Gallery. Thanks for looking and encouraging.

Steve

Edited by BritJet

WOW another beautifully made and looking model!!

You know you are putting us all to shame, well done.

So will I see you go for the record with a 5th build???

That Auster looks fantastic. I made this pattern and the mould in 1982 but never did anything with it until Ron firth asked if he might use it. So we produced them for sale as Halam-vacs. The Pilatus P.2 was another kit of mine Ron used.

John

• Like 1

Thanks guys, this one was a real pleasure to do. As usual very little can be seen of the details I added to the cockpit, but I had to add as much as I could with that greenhouse canopy.

So will I see you go for the record with a 5th build???

Not sure about that, I've got a fair bit of work to do before the end of the month which is going to limit my modelling time and the Bristol 188 is taking far more time than planned. Still I might squeeze another small one in......

That Auster looks fantastic. I made this pattern and the mould in 1982 but never did anything with it until Ron firth asked if he might use it. So we produced them for sale as Halam-vacs. The Pilatus P.2 was another kit of mine Ron used.

John

Thanks John, that means a lot. Thank you for producing the masters and I'm glad you and Ron eventually got it produced.

Steve

Thanks again.

I've never been one to rush out and buy the latest and greatest kit and then build it as soon as I got home - well not since I was a kid! For me it's more about the subject and if there's a kit , that's great as it saves scratchbuilding. A vacform to me is a step or two up from scratchbuilding and I enjoy adding the extra bits to them. There are some great older kits around and I really don't like to hear people dismissing them just because they are 'old' - lots of newer kits have far more faults that really shouldn't be there given the research available and manufacturing improvements over the years. Most vacforms and resins are produced by either one-man-bands or a small group of people with very limited resources and facilities and I feel they are often overlooked for their achievements and courage in producing these gems! In many cases no mainstream manufacturer is ever going to produce some of these subjects because the costs vs. returns don't add up. Smaller outfits make very little, if anything, from some of these kits, as I know from previous experience and I always try to support them where possible.

Whilst my Bristol 188 is currently causing me some extra and unexpected work, that wouldn't stop me from buying another Whirlybirds kit if the subject appealed. Sometimes it just has to be case of 'making' a model rather than just 'assembling' it. I know everybody is different and there is nothing wrong with a "shake the box and out pops a finished model" type of kit but it's just not for me, at least not on a regular basis!

Steve

No truer words have been spoken - agree wholeheartedly!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

John

Wish you still did make 'em John,I've fancied a Hallam AOP.9 for ages.

Steve:

If I'd have twigged that you were building one then I could have got you more info than you could shake a stick at.

I know a man that flies a real one out of Eggesford in Devon.

Wish you still did make 'em John,I've fancied a Hallam AOP.9 for ages.

Steve:

If I'd have twigged that you were building one then I could have got you more info than you could shake a stick at.

I know a man that flies a real one out of Eggesford in Devon.

It is a lovely kit, so grab it if you do see one.

Thanks for the offer, there were a few bits I struggled to find details of but most of the cockpit can't be seen anyway, despite the greenhouse canopy!

Steve