Suggestions for a good starter/beginner car kit?

Bigred

Morning guys. I'm looking for some inspiration here. I'm looking for a car kit that might be slightly easier for an inexperienced builder? I have built models in my younger years, although not to any real detail. I also dabble in a bit of RC banger racing, so have a basic knowledge of modeling. I recently bought the Revell Trabant 601 Estate kit, but would really like to do the kit justice as it seems a nice kit.

So can anyone suggest anything that might be a good simple kit to break me in gently?! As for the type of car, I'm into most things, just not so much modern stuff. I know the options are probably verging on infinite, but I'm hoping some of you experienced guys might be able to suggest something?

Thanks for reading.

Paul.

IMHO, you should go for any Tamiya or Fujimi 1/24 scale classic car.......If you're looking for something fairly easy to build, the Fujimi kits are a nice option, as they don't come with an engine at all.

They're very easy kits, quite simplified at certain points, but give you the chance of a nice looking car without much stress to your mind.....Plus, Fujimi offered a nice variety of weird subjects, such as the tiny Autobianchi A112 Abarth, BMW 3 series, Porsche 911, etc...

Cheers...

Edited by Artie

MX5 is a good suggestion, always thought they were a nice looking car full size. Likewise with the Fujimi range. Had a quick look already, there are certainly some odd-ball cars to choose from, which I like!!

Thanks guys!

Paul

Tamiya mx5? It's cheap and simple! Much like the real thing....

100% agree.....

I used to own a 1991 Miata (sooo long ago..)...and it's the only car I really miss, and believe me, I've owned a lot of cars since I got my driving license back in '91....

The Mazda Miata is one of the best cars I've ever driven. ....good looking, fast, lightweight.....and it reminds me about the old Lotus Elan.....maybe too much imagination here.. :) :)

Two years ago, a local dealer offered me a '92 Miata brought here from the UK..it was a RHD car (not a problem for me), with just 50K miles on the clock and a nice set of 16" alloys...the problem was that it belonged to an old gent that had sadly passed away just a few months ago, and the paperwork was a nightmare, as it was still UK registered. Here in the Canaries, you've got six months to give an imported car a spanish reg number..otherwise, your car can get seized by the local authorities....

Bye...

Edited by Artie

tamiya mini. great little kit. goes together well

Agree.......little gems, indeed....

Fujimi has got a nice range of Minis too, of special interest are the Rover Coopers....1.3i, 12" Minilites, etc...

Pretty much any of the more recent Revell 1/24 kits: classic Mini Cooper, Golf GTI, Audi R8, Ferrari 458 or 599 GTO or SA Aperta... all nice kits, easily available and often cheap in "Gift Set" form. Any of the recent Aoshima supercars -- Aventador, Murcielago or Mclaren F1. And of course Tamiya -- the Ferrari 360 Modena is the creme de la creme of straightforward, accurate, detailed and easy to build car kits, and also usually pretty cheap. If you want something a bit more "classic", the Tamiya mk2 Jag has just been re-released. If your tastes run more transatlantic, the Moebius Chrysler 300 is a fantastic kit. You can find build articles for most of these on here somewhere.

bestest,

M.

Hi Paul,

My advice would be to go with Tamiya, Revell or Italeri, I have built from these manufacturers and they go together very well, MX5 is a neat suggestion or the Mini as the Tamiya versions are awesome, the rally one comes with an engine so you can have a play with spark plug leads etc.

AMT and MPC have some crazy cars but generally require work to make them fit together properly so avoid these if your just starting out, same with Airfix, Heller and others which I can't remember.

Can I make a suggestion regarding painting? goto Home Bargains, B&M or Bargain Buys if you have any up North, they do primer and various colours in spray cans, £1 for 300ml, they cover well and will look 100 times better than trying to paint a body with a brush. Oh and Hobbycraft do the Tamiya paint range generally £1.60 a pot (which is what I use) providing you use Sable brushes they go on flat and dry smooth.

I hope this helps if not pretend I never wrote anything

Ash

All very good advice Ash. Swaying towards the Tamiya MX5, nice looking model. Although Mini's appeal, as I had one myself years back.

Plenty of B&M and Home Bargains. I also work in the motor trade so have access to cheap primer, used to use it on the ABS shells for my RC bangers.

just take your time, it's a hobby to enjoy. we all started somewhere. practice painting on an old coke can to get used to it. and warm the can up gently before use in an airing cupboard ( dont be tempted to put it with the sunday roast or in the microwave ) , the paint flows better. excellent results can be achieved. lots of advice to be had on this forum.

Thanks gtiffsrw, I used to warm the the aerosols before painting my banger shells.

Is there any advantage to using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer over standard Halfords plastic primer?

Thanks gtiffsrw, I used to warm the the aerosols before painting my banger shells.

Is there any advantage to using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer over standard Halfords plastic primer?

Yes, in a word. Tamiya TS colours over Fine Surface Primer work brilliantly and don't need any prep after the primer coat. Unlike Halfords primer, which needs to be be smoothed with various grades of micromesh before you can use the TS colours, if you want a smooth, glossy finish.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956647-matts-tips-for-painting-cars/

bestest,

M.