Renwal Teracruzer with Mace Missile 1/32

This model brings up distant memories from the late 50's when I could only afford 2 bob poly-bagged Airfix kits and drooled over some of those big boxes lining the shelves of toy/hobby shops. The weapon itself is also vaguely familiar having grown up at the height of the Cold War.

As a Revell/Monogram re-release of such an old kit I was a little dubious of the moulding quality and detail but I have to say I'm quite impressed, nice clean mouldings with very little flash.

Renwal%20box_zps71gty510.jpg

sprue2_zps98q8rfbd.jpg

sprue5_zpsxb2jn5t1.jpg

sprue3_zpsquyujcsi.jpg

sprue1_zpsv3vbb45a.jpg

sprue6_zpsrwcsh58w.jpg

tyres_zpsy2jikqh9.jpg

sprue4_zps5jt3huuv.jpg

Looks like it should be a fun build :)

I rememner building their Lacrosse Missile around 40 years ago. Paid £1.50 for it, which was a major chunk of my savings.

They were designed for "no show " cementing, usefull for a clumsy eiht year old.

• Like 1

Not really much on Things Without Wings nowadays, but I'll have some of this action if I may! That Renwal box art shoots me back to the early '60s, and JS Davy's store in Uxbridge High Street, quicker than the TARDIS!

:popcorn:

• Like 1

I rememner building their Lacrosse Missile around 40 years ago. Paid £1.50 for it, which was a major chunk of my savings.

They were designed for "no show " cementing, usefull for a clumsy eiht year old.

Sometimes I feel more clumsy now than when I was 8, what with 'senior moments', poor eyesight and shaky hands. It's all a bit of challenge but I love it :)

Not really much on Things Without Wings nowadays, but I'll have some of this action if I may! That Renwal box art shoots me back to the early '60s, and JS Davy's store in Uxbridge High Street, quicker than the TARDIS!

:popcorn:

Yes indeed! And the Mace missile does have wings :)

As an all terrain vehicle I thought that it's bound to get its tyres dirty. I'll add more 'mud' later in the build.

wheels1_zpswzq0hemg.jpg

As an all terrain vehicle I thought that it's bound to get its tyres dirty. I'll add more 'mud' later in the build.

wheels1_zpswzq0hemg.jpg

As an Airforce vehicle, there will always be some poor sod on extras with a bucket and scrubbing brush ;)
  • Like 1

The 'bogies' completed.

bogies1_zpsyv099yo7.jpg

Wheels fitted.

bogies%20plus%20wheels2_zps64kkpbwh.jpg

These guys look like they've suffered some serious injuries :( The rest of the kit seems relatively free from sink holes.

crew_zpsr1zrb8of.jpg

Moving on to the parts for the tractor unit chassis with what I assume is a fuelling pump and fuel tank for the missile. The small box sits next to the spare wheel so I guess it's a tool box, And talking of wheels, I appear to have an extra one, 14 in all.

The various bits fit together well but I'm not too convinced about the 'no show' cementing. I always manage to get cement where I don't want it. :mental:

fuel%20tanks_zpsl5fmrguc.jpg

chassis2_zpsocpfylci.jpg

A little more progress on the tractor unit chassis.

Although the parts in the kit are numbered they don't follow any logical order and are distributed randomly on the sprues. It doesn't help that the sprues themselves don't have identification letters. For example there are 12 axles for the wheels, 8 on one sprue and 4 on another. On several occasions I've had that sinking feeling when you think you've got missing parts then the relief to find them with unrelated bits.

chassis3_zpsao9gkcfp.jpg

Edited by activexp

Although the cab went together well, the driver's door is not a good fit, unlike the other one which is almost perfect.

cab2_zpss0ixl8rk.jpg

Clear parts for the cab windows and lights are not included in the kit. I fashioned a windscreen from a thin plastic sheet and left the other 6 windows alone to avoid messing up.

cab1_zpsuvzpjlk0.jpg

The steering system is by hydraulic rams.

steering%20system_zpsofadd8lo.jpg

steering%20system2_zpscmzw8sgz.jpg

The completed Teracruzer, surely the original Monster Truck.

finished%20cruzer3_zpsfutx0bjb.jpg

finished%20cruzer2_zpsluntyquu.jpg

finished%20cruzer4_zpsewimjltf.jpg

I don't really do figures, and it shows :huh:

Next up, the missile transporter/launcher.

Some progress on the launcher which has many moving parts. Glue has to be used with caution.

launcher_zpsaczfn16x.jpg

Edited by activexp

Launcher finished and the paint job was successful in that all the moving parts still operate :)

launcher%20comp1_zpszxjb8ypk.jpg

launcher%20comp2_zpsxqwl7ycx.jpg

Next up, the Mace missile.

Assembly of the missile was straight forward, the two halves of the fuselage mating together quite cleanly.

mace1_zpsmvzs3ipp.jpg

The silver colour scheme with olive drab nose is for the operational version of the missile. Apparently the orange scheme shown on the box art and instructions is for the trainer version.

mace2_zps595lsuyo.jpg

mace3_zps830gfyta.jpg

mace6_zpsswtutgxw.jpg

mace5_zpsvwdj7ki3.jpg

This completes this WIP. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Your right there mate. I locked the launch rail with too much cement and the Mace never really sat well on the trailer. Be afraid...lol

Great nostalgia build enjoy ! :captain:

Yep same here, the Mace doesn't sit happily on the launcher. Would need excessive force to get it to clip into the cradle and then something would break :weep: