Chance Vought V66E Corsair - does anyone produce a kit ?

bigbadbadge

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone produces a kit of the above, as it looks like a very interesting looking aircraft. The RAF had one for evaluation in 1933 and would love to build one.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

Chris,

The only kit I am aware of is a 1/72 vacform O2U Corsair by Esoteric Models; it is long out of production, but they turn up on that famous internet market all the time at pretty reasonable prices. I have one- it is an outstanding kit, with decals, plastic strut stock, and decals, but is the floatplane version, and I believe the V66E evaluated by the RAF had spatted, fixed landing gear. Looks like the spats and struts would be easy to source from some other kit or scratchbuilt, as they are very simple in shape. I have attached a link to a Russian website that has an excellent photo of the example you want to build. Good luck!

Mike

http://aviarmor.net/aww2/aircraft/usa/vought_o3u.htm

Chris,

Looked at my Esoteric kit and it does come with either float or wheel undercart- you would have to make the spats yourself, but they do look very similar to spats found on some Italian or Japanese aircraft, so you might be able to find good substitutes; perhaps Val, Babs, or Cr32?

I found a set of scale 3-view drawings on the 'net, and I have posted the link below. Scroll down to find V66E, click to open the drawings and click again to see a larger image. Hope this helps. There were a lot of permutations of the Corsair I, as pointed out. but I think the Esoteric kit has the correct airframe for the V66E. (Now you've got me thinking conversion of my kit!)

Mike

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/V-3vues.html

Hi All

Thanks for the heads up and info

Hi Chris , Thanks for your kind offer, I would be interested in seeing the article if possible, but will need to look at finding one first a search yesterday evening revealed none at the mo which is okay as I am waiting for stuff to sell before I have the money to buy one anyway. I will make contact soon. Thank you.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info and link. I will check those out, I did see them on a google search but did not click on at the time, thanks for adding though. That is a good idea using the spats form others will have a look into that or scratching a pair, I also have a Novo Wallace that I would like to make some spats for too one day !!!

Thanks again all

All the best
Chris

Hi Mike

Had a look at the plans for the V66E and O2U and there are quite a few differences between the two, will have to have a good think about this one as I have only scratch built small parts before, although it may be the closest aircraft I can get. Thanks for posting that link though that has really helped clarify a few things.

All the best

Chris

Hi All

I have been taking another look and the O3U - 3 Corsair looks similar and the Corsair SU2 looks very similar differing in the tail, rear observer, gunner position but the main wings appear to be correct (slightly swept back upper and lower and on the Airfix tribute forum there is one of each built from the same Esoteric Kit. The parts are include for both.

Thank you all for your help in pointing me in the right direction. I have put a wanted ad in the wanted section for the O3U-3 Corsair 2.

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge