AIM-9J Sidewinder Missiles - 1:72 Eduard Brassin

AIM-9J Sidewinder Missiles

1:72 Eduard Brassin

aim9j01.JPG

The AIM-9J was a replacement for the original AIM-9E and was rushed into serivice in 1972 for the Linebacker campaign. This missile was able to be fired at greater angles than directly behind an aircraft, and up to 7.5G. It introduced the first solid state components and improved actuators capable of delivering greater torque to the canards making it a better dogfighting missile. This set from Eduard in their brassin range contains 4 complete missiles. There is a resin body which contains the rear fins, with the forward fins being supplied in Photo etch. There is also a rear rocket motor part supplied in PE. Nose caps are supplied in resin for all the units if the modeller wants to use. The last item in this package is the inclusion of missile markings on the small decal sheet.

aim9j02.JPG

Conclusion
Quality ordnance can always enhance the look of a model, these AIM-9Js from Eduard are excellent missiles. Recomended.

bin-new.jpg

Review samples courtesy of logo.gif

• 3 months later...

I got two sets of these (actually 9-Bs) to replace some crude kitparts. Massive disappointment so far: I spent two hours trying to glue the fins on and I utterly failed. For starters the locator trenches are not deep enough to accomodate the fins. The locating pin on fin is too large for its hole, so I cut it off. Then gluing it; due to capillary action the glue (I use a drop of thin CA glue on a piece of tape) immediately flows around the part as soon as I apply it, resulting in glue all over the fin. When I did get it right, it was virtually impossible to get the part properly positioned in both directions as the glue sets immediately. I'm no stranger to CA glue but I'm thinking it's not the best application for it.

I got fed up and ordered two Hasegawa weapon sets. Shame, the resin casting is superb.

Edited by sroubos