Traction Avant - Engine build ... Heller 1/8th!

Hello All.................

This is/was a grail kit for me, so having waited for so long to actually own a copy: I chose to bring it to the top of the pile, this is not a kit you buy and then allow to silt down into the stash and become an estate sale item. I am determined to extract a little joy from this.

That being said I've entitled the post "Engine build" simply because I want to be at least realistic in my endeavours ... and of course there is always that stash that beckons like some distant siren.

I've scoured the web, and watched all I can on here so with trepidation make my start - all pretty familiar to folks hereabouts - but new to me!!

There are better modellers than me who have documented their builds - so I'll just go with the pictures, you may assume that anything I've done different is not out of any skill or knowledge but rather out of innocence and ignorance................ So here then:- The ceremonial gluing of the engine halves together.............

Avant-engine---1_zpsybcix8gi.jpg

The Top and Bottom, a bit of filler and a copper head gasket that will be lost forever beneath paint...................

Avant-engine---2_zpsaqsrtt5v.jpg

Various angles of corners hopefully to show off the replacement of nuts bolts and washers....................

Avant-engine---3_zpsyhc4r9bg.jpg

Avant-engine---8_zpsoxl7rxo0.jpg

Avant-engine---4_zpss31rkbyn.jpg

Avant-engine---7_zpsh6kviiqv.jpg

Avant-engine---5_zpsjz4wrklp.jpg

Avant-engine---6_zps8u9qf97p.jpg

As an introduction I'll leave it there for now - my natural build speed is pretty glacial so don't expect too much ... although I am a bit further along than this. By way of explanation that little steel block you'll see in the odd photo is an old apprentices test piece and measures an exact 1x1,1/4x3/8ths just for comparative purposes!

• Like 3

Well that's a great start isn't it? - actually it's not quite as bad - or it might be even worse - somehow it's only the manifold side that's upside down - the spark plug side is correct according to the flutes above and below the plugs ............... I must be a brilliant modeller to have got it to fit??? That's my story anyhow.

A shame of course but it's going to have to stay that way now ... my next door neighbour my granny and the dog will never know?

I feel a bit deflated to be honest! :weep:

Absolutely no worries.

I did exactly the same thing on mine, so my comment was in no way a criticism.

Once built it does NOT notice, and makes virtually no difference until you fit the carb air box.

It will need VERY minor tweaking as it will now be about 1.5mm closer to the upper bulkhead.

It's a fun build, but you'll soon discover the kit instructions are awful, and have a lot of mistakes in them.

LOVE the extra nuts etc...

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Other than that, great job on details. Follow Roy's build of the whole car for smoother sailing.

And great idea for the head gasket. I thought I was the only one to add one to my Rolls!

Follow Roy's build of the whole car for smoother sailing.

I was following his build - obviously where I went wrong!!! ................ :fight: ................ I am kidding of course - but it made me feel so much better to realise I wasn't the only one.

Poor old dog couldn't do no right when I was walking him ... so distracted was I because of the silly mistake. But then again I suppose when one pits oneself against this kit, just getting it together is a bit of a win-win thing?

And YES Roy ... I had already noticed how "alien" the distructions were ..................... all part of the Gaelic charm I guess? ............ Thanks for following along though, I appreciate you keeping an eye on me.

Thanks everyone for your initial comments and views .... moving on from the debacle which is the "wrong half a head" - (that really should be a secret group title or maxim or mantra or something)?

So, moving forward: I never explained my outline for this build, or what it is I'm aiming at? But I don't intend to build this as a shelf Queen. Perhaps as much to be a bit different and as much so I don't have to compete (consciously or otherwise) with some of the amazing builds that are out there. No, over these last years I've concocted a rationale for building which suits me far better ................ I build it as though I own it!!! ...... "I KNOW"! "ridiculous huh?

So, it'll be clean 'ish on the outside but far from pristine - a little bit of rust and perhaps even areas where I've tried to attend to same. Engine will be looked after mechanically, and represented with some repaired parts, some rebuilt parts and some bodged parts - so basically it's going to look just like it did frozen at some point in its natural working life ............ loved dearly, but working never the less!

And after all them worms ... just a few pictures........................

Rocker-box---4_zpsndpiq8ft.jpg

Rocker-box---3_zpsh4do81mp.jpg

Rocker-box---2_zpspr0f5dpi.jpg

Now then! ............... this is kind of how it works? .... See them there nice domed nuts - "I replaced those" ... both on this model, and because it's something I would of done as a youff, and this I know because I actually did back in a day - sort of an Art reflecting life kind of thing??

More importantly is my attempts to represent what I assume is something I call "Pot Alloy" - the "rocker box top". It had a double thick coat of "Halfords" grey primer, allowed to dry (shrink back) thoroughly, and then using "Mr Metal" Aluminium and Iron it was stippled by a coarse Hogs hair brush until the primer softened and scarred as you see, this to represent the many years of physical usage, patination - and also the last wipe of an oily rag as you set the tappets for the hundredth time that year!! (get it)?

• Like 5

Andi, I'm afraid it was me that discovered the half head syndrome, LOL! That rocker cover texture is absolutely superb, especially in the black and white photo. That is a very well executed technique - are you a military modeller that has escaped by per chance? Nice to see another build of this epic kit here. Hopefully, I can join in soon as DIY has kept me away from my 1/8th baby for months.

• Like 1

Thank you Vontrips, for the sentiment, not the discovery - Grrr! Actually it makes me feel a bit special, like wot my old dad used to call me - "his special son"! ... I suspect it was a description not a compliment?

And NO! Not a Military modeller, I'm a car guy of old - disappeared off the grid for a while (long story) but I'd become rather disillusioned with the car modelling scene for a while there, it appeared the only criteria was how shiny you could make it and by a large I just kept seeing these rather poorly built and ill executed models that just looked like "gelatine blobs", and the way folk where gushing over them was quite nauseating. Not sour grapes, and only my opinion you understand?

But I started building again with very much the notion of actually enjoying it - which I do. ..... Only just starting to "put it out there" again - hence this little docu-drama, as I'm sure it'll end up!

OK - so less worms and more pictures - right................

Avant-engine---12_zpsfo8amiip.jpg

Avant-engine---11_zpsiylkrw0g.jpg

Avant-engine---9_zpslwit04jy.jpg

Avant-engine---10_zpsv1vnnlxc.jpg

A bit of colour then ...................... In this instance Vallejo acrylics (it appears my paint of choice by default and circumstance) a little bit of "Hairspray" technique, and some judicious scrubbing and scratching.

It might be noticed the gearbox is a different colour? - The reason for this is exactly that!! The justification is its a replacement rebuilt gearbox - back story you see?

Avant-engine---16_zpswsivozzc.jpg

Avant-engine---14_zpsha4elglz.jpg

Avant-engine---13_zpsvkzsrv8d.jpg

And now the block and gearbox have been brought together, and the time and effort in smoozing all those lines and edges, corners and surfaces is starting to pay dividends (one hopes). Also it has had it's first (of many) unifying layers of dust and detritus, more to pull everything together than anything else, Also same with rocker box top, bit of old dust laden oil spread around the obvious build up points - nothing fresh and wet yet... later.

Dust by the way is made up of artists pigment:- Umber, Ochre, and a smidge of white, this is scrubbed on wet (and dark) but it dries as you see it here, there is just a little loss as it dries but the vigorous application bonds it to the surface quite well - we'll use a binder later when we can't be so manly about it.

Just a bit more to go before we're caught up, then it'll sloooooow down a lot .................... cheers all.

• Like 6

Andi, that is a quite superb motor - good to see you haven't lost your touch! Beautiful weathering & patination, lovely work!

I've concocted a rationale for building which suits me far better ................ I build it as though I own it!!! ...... "I KNOW"! "ridiculous huh?...

....(get it)?

I get it!

And I don't think your philosophy is at all ridiculous. Refreshing if anything! As you may remember competition cars are my favoutites, & what I now enjoy doing is building my lottery garage - or rather the cars that would be in it if I win it!! Means I can build them as I like & not have to worry about if the colour is right, or if I've got the wrong details or there are mistakes in the decals etc. Makes it fun again I reckon!

Keith

• Like 1

And that's what counts in my book Keith, If you're not having a good time then why bother? Having said that it does impose a strange discipline on one.

I've never been a wealthy man, and I've often had to make do and mend, so strangely this is a methodology I employ in my builds. As you know I prefer a low tech' method of working anyway - mainly a sort of "in the hand" style - although over the years I've accrued some bits of kit that I've coveted for many a long year. But rather what I mean and like your lottery statement is I'm building this as though I was running it back in a day - impoverished probably but resilient and happy. I'm somehow claiming back a time in which I was I believe happy but if circumstances had been just fractionally different I could easily have ended up running one of these ... as it was it turned out to be a Renault 4!! Bright yellow and known as "The Art car", I have a photo somewhere of it complete with me sporting one of those "I've got to break free" moustaches .... fun times.

• Like 1

Mahoot and Sgt ... I'd be chuffed to bits if you 'd like to follow this. Just don't expect too much as I'm a slow builder and playing catch-up at the minute (and we're nearly there).

Having said that! - Here's a few pic's from just a little further along ... a bit more work on the weathering and the beginnings of the "wet oil" ...................

Avant-engine---20_zpsf6embmgo.jpg

And round a little bit ....

Avant-engine---18_zpsaquh4pue.jpg

Just a little bit more .............

Avant-engine---21_zpsylfojonx.jpg

And a quick one over the top! ................

Avant-engine---15_zpsndqhsaxn.jpg

A better look at the "rocker box" but still only dry oil up here as it's quite vulnerable to handling and I'm not the most co-ordinated of people (passing remark relating to going off grid for a while). Some more judicious rusting and the like, wear and tear and me trying to figure out which bits would be handled and which; not so much.

I try and solve the project handling and constantly knocking over problem later - that turns out to be a huge grin (worth hanging around for that alone).

.............. Laters all.

PS ............. Edited for typo's .................. I REALLY hate that little disclaimer at the bottom that literally screams ....."This guy is really carp at spelling"!

Edited by Little Andi
  • Like 3

Very nicely done.....Getting the combination of fresh and older stains, dust and grime etc. just right is an art in itself. :coolio:

PS - Some 1/8 grimy fingerprints might work really well with your 'engine-backstory'.....But how, is probably the question? :hmmm:

• Like 1

Super job :)

More the merrier with these Traction Avant builds. Might even gather up the courage to attempt one myself!

• Like 1

A very convincing build Andi - just like the real thing I would imagine! ! :thumbsup: By the way where did you source the replacement nuts, bolts and washers?

BillyD

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words all ... always appreciated.

Billy ............. they're assembled from various sizes and thickness of styrene sheet punched out using an RP Toolz Hexagon and Round punch and die set. One of those bits of kit that I'd coveted for many a long year and only recently managed to own.

A bit like most expensive tools - difficult to justify, but once you have them you just keep finding more and more uses for them - been most of my adult life it seems waiting to get a set ...... they're great fun and I don't regret the investment.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words all ... always appreciated.

Billy ............. they're assembled from various sizes and thickness of styrene sheet punched out using an RP Toolz Hexagon and Round punch and die set. One of those bits of kit that I'd coveted for many a long year and only recently managed to own.

A bit like most expensive tools - difficult to justify, but once you have them you just keep finding more and more uses for them - been most of my adult life it seems waiting to get a set ...... they're great fun and I don't regret the investment.

Thanks Andi - they really make a big difference to the build :)

BillyD

Please ignore this - I realised Waaay too late that you can edit a post but you can't actually delete one!!!!

This is entirely superfluous to requirements so if an Admin' type wanders by? Scrub it out of the thread would you - pretty please?

Edited by Little Andi

Here's another bit of an update - "And don't get used to this rate of knots! We're almost caught up"................

Something a bit more detail orientated now - and this the stater motor. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what was going on with this. I understood the "throwout" gear etc but what that square blob (for that is all the kit part was) was on top I had no idea. And it took quite a few weeks of searching around (I find research quite tiresome) I finally got it all sussed - it's the "Starter", and it's a Pull-knob start and this was supposed to represent a Bowden cable arrangement?

Now unfortunately in this scale, and this one of the few items that can actually be seen through an open bonnet it just couldn't be allowed to pass - definitely not up to muster.

Well, as can be seen from the upcoming pic's I did my best .......... it looks pretty huge perched on top there but that's pretty much the size of it. Added a few details and widgets around the tail end and offered it up.......................

Starter---3_zpsseljbiq4.jpg

Starter---2_zpsbmdfmvmv.jpg

Starter---1_zps9ti96ugx.jpg

OK - Being relatively satisfied - or at least relieved! I chucked some paint at it ........................

Avant-engine---17_zps1quxlpjg.jpg

And a little closer because this isn't cripplingly close enough?? ............

Avant-engine---19_zpsv7lysjp8.jpg

Some nicks and bumps, loose flaky paint, a smidge of rust and just enough dust to tie it into the block? I've also worked the metalwork around this area whilst there, so a few more worn edges, a bit of latent rust in low lying spots and general nibbling of the weathering nature.

Nearly caught up now, but hang around for a totally over the top solution to the "constantly knocking it over on the workbench" scenario.

Cheers all .................

• Like 4