Giant Squid & 1/48 Triton 3300/3 Submarine

On 26th January 2013 this Triton research submarine became the first to actually video a Giant squid in the wild at depths ranging from 600 to a 1000 metres.

Aoshima have crafted a beautiful model of the sub in there deep sea explore series, this being 01. (One can only hope there is an 02 and so on) at just over £15.00 inc p&p from Japan its nicely priced.

The model is cast in coloured plastic so the novice doesnt have to paint, a nice touch, also some pvc tubing is supplied to plumb in the various pipes at the rear. A clear and well thought out set of instructions (although in japanese) its clear whats what.

Included are a nice set of decals for external details and instrument panels, also a paper model of a Giant squid and a picture to cut out.

The only thing that detracts from the real thing is that there will be a join line between the two hemispheres of the clear bubble in the kit, this is unavoidable due to building the bubble interior. A ship in a bottle approach would have been too much i feel. Also there are no crew members which to me seems a little strange as they have included a giant squid to display externally with the model. So to rectify this I have ordered some Tamiya Afrika corps figures, a couple in seated posture to mod for the crew, closest match to what I was looking for. 1/48 pilot figures where generally helmeted and oxygen masked.

Box art

DSC_2347_zpsutizlwlr.jpg

Kit

DSC_2348_zpsnsytecde.jpg

Paper Squid

DSC_2349_zps37jsgps0.jpg

Instructions

DSC_2351_zpsy3lcbyxx.jpg

So how best to display this model?

Well we recently bought a replacement Hamster Ball from Wilkinsons, it was in a plastic shell, which just so happens to be about the right size for something different.

Firstly we primed half the hemisphere in grey.

DSC_2352_zpsdt6mq7ij.jpg

Closed up

DSC_2353_zpsdkwqxk45.jpg

Then a coat of satin black humbrol enamel sprinkled with scenerey powder when wet to give the appearance of underwater, teeming with life (just being black didnt cut the mustard with me).

DSC_2354_zpssat4hr66.jpg

Had a look at the paper picture to add to the background, cut it out and offered it up, was a bit 2 dimensional for me and the paper model was not the greatest looking either.

So found a 9 inch long toy of the Giant squid on fleabay and have ordered to add to display.

So next photos will be the building of the submarine itself.

All the best Chris

• Like 4

This is something interesting Chris. Just put me in mind of the Pegasus Nautilus with the big vinyl squid ... somewhere in my stash. Going to follow with interest. :popcorn:

BillyD

• Like 1

Hi all heres an update, very detailed parts of the submarine, even decals for the instrument panels, small mishap regarding these the main consule and joystick decals would not stay in place, to be honest so small was the joystick one i had to add a drop of glue to hold it in place, same with the centre console, which then began to dissolve, managed to save it. So having primed in grey and then painted in satin black enamel, cockpit and exterior details coming together.

A set of africa corp 1/48 figures arrived, so set about creating a crew of three. With the help of a lit tea light and a pair of pliers i bent and shaped a couple of the figures to suit, a little rounding off of their caps and we have a couple of baseball capped figures. So heres some photos of the work so far. next is to paint the crew and assemble the bubble.

DSC_2355_zpsrrnerttf.jpg

DSC_2367_zpsmolomc6m.jpg

DSC_2364_zpsdcqv8ifn.jpg

DSC_2366_zpsqoffa7j2.jpg

DSC_2365_zpsqbj3yuqg.jpg

DSC_2363_zpsvh08cz6j.jpg

DSC_2368_zps5stx6qln.jpg

DSC_2369_zpskwjfpnwi.jpg

all the best Chris

• Like 8

Hi all heres an update on the build, crew finished, giant squid arrived from Germany, as already new its the wrong colour, needs a paint job. Assembly and painting progressing, see photos. Hoping to have this ready for IPMS Avon show on 9th, fingers and toes crossed LOL.

DSC_2382_zpsbbw6ghvw.jpg

DSC_2384_zpslgxyxqab.jpg

DSC_2383_zpsdq9u22pu.jpg

Good old light refraction, youd be forgiven if you thought theres a gap between the two halves at the top as appears in this photo, there isnt, ive got a nice tight join that i cant even get a knife to pick up on the join line.

Nicely done Aoshima

DSC_2386_zps67kbcrau.jpg

DSC_2385_zpskjd4p1ra.jpg

• Like 9

that's a good and interesting update - its going to be really great once finished and definitely different from the norm...

Its always good to get an idea of size and perspective of what you are building when placed up against your bench tools and paints.

I am guessing those 3 crew of yours are in the process of having the fright of their lives given the monster you have ready to attack them

Edited by Gimme Shelter
  • Like 1

Hi all another update, pleased the gloss yellow is coming out ok, matt white undercoat and gloss over, parts on sprue, sponsons to be undercoated having been assembled. some assembly, see photos.

DSC_2387_zpsv8ulas0x.jpg

DSC_2388_zpsm08ak6np.jpg

DSC_2390_zpstbdlfdtc.jpg

DSC_2389_zpsxvqsisre.jpg

DSC_2393_zpsol12zjyy.jpg

DSC_2391_zpshaoz5sny.jpgDSC_2392_zpsvtdkursi.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 8

This is getting to be a very interesting little project Chris nice one :popcorn::popcorn:

Glad the gloss yellow came out OK that is one of the most painful colors to get right but yours looks spot on there mate :goodjob::goodjob:

Beefy

• Like 1

Many thanks to all for the great comments, build coming along nicely, Giant squid painted to a reasonable representation, sponsons glossed, battery containers and rear access ladder built and painted.

This leaves headlight glass and thrusters to be added to sponsons plus painting of rubber fenders, followed by final assembly and addition of decals.

I really am enjoying this build, there have been no fit issues, just some intricate assemblies, the rear access ladder being one. Had a broken ladder rung when assembling, soon fixed with a little liquid poly.

For those wishing to build this model, i strongly recommend priming all the yellow parts with matt white enamel, did a test area with gloss painted straight on, it wouldnt fully dry and did start to slightly discolour, whereas all gloss yellow painted on white undercoat has dried OK and appears as it should.

So heres some update photos.

DSC_2394_zpsccjbcry4.jpg

DSC_2395_zpsbryx7v64.jpg

DSC_2396_zpscqmd5gsi.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 4

Submersible assembled and squid added to display, this leaves rubber fenders to be painted and decals to be applied, varnished and mounted. Only one annoying thing fumes from liquid poly have partly clouded the headlamp lenses, bit of a bugger, but when in display hope not to noticeable, not up for stripping them as will damage yellow paintwork. Will have to pass off as glare from lights LOL.

Honestly dont know how this could have been avoided as only small amount applied to bare plastic of mount and left to go tacky before adding lense.

Heres some photos of progress.

DSC_2397_zpsujnodvou.jpg

DSC_2399_zps1iz0gutp.jpg

DSC_2398_zpsleaky24g.jpg

DSC_2401_zpsph7vretj.jpg

DSC_2400_zpsweezm0f7.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 3

Really is a nice display. Thinking of giant Squid:

Diced in large chunks, dipped in a truckload of Panko breadcrumbs, deep fried in a heated swimming pool of vegetable oil and served with fresh lemon juice and garlic sauce, now that is a giant squid :winkgrin:

• Like 2