Tiny terror's. Airfix Tilly and Bedford trio.

Beautifully Simon,a world apart from the earlier Emergency and Re-fueling set's which were good for their time bot these are really

21st century!

Cheers Steve, I will drag them out one day, I only got them to add to photo shoots.

Simon.

Beautifully Simon,a world apart from the earlier Emergency and Re-fueling set's which were good for their time bot these are really

21st century!

Yes with a bit no on that one. The main benefits seen on the QL are the deeper springs which allow the fitting of the (correctly) larger wheels, plus of course the steering wheel. Throw in the transparent windows. However, the thickness of the body walls is greater and the panelling rather heavy-handed, giving a rather chunky appearance. The Bedford MW however is much more accurate than the one in the Recovery set, and they are all right for the period in subject and markings.

Roll on a scaled-down Albion - and if not why not?

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Yes with a bit no on that one. The main benefits seen on the QL are the deeper springs which allow the fitting of the (correctly) larger wheels, plus of course the steering wheel. Throw in the transparent windows. However, the thickness of the body walls is greater and the panelling rather heavy-handed, giving a rather chunky appearance. The Bedford however is much more accurate than the one in the Recovery set, and they are all right for the period in subject and markings.

Roll on a scaled-down Albion - and if not why not?

Don,t get me wrong Graham,there is a delicacy in those old molds that still holds up well I love the old re fueling set and probably will

re-visit it sometime,in all the year's I've never even seen the recovery set in the flesh! by coincidence when I was a kid my friend,s dad

drove a crane and on the odd occasion we would ride with him taking it back to the depot somewhere on the Tyne which for a kid was

a great adventure,it was'nt till year's later I recognised it as a Thornycroft as per the kit probably ex-RAF.

Nice one Ian,I once had the "pleasure" of painting a Bedford 3 tonner before deployment to Germany while I was in the T.A. and noticed

the difference the black paint on the canvas tilt had to the rest of the body hence the difference in the kit.

Hi all,today's model session I thought I would return to these lovely little vehicles,I dry brushed the Tilly and fixed the rest of the cab on

the Bedford so just the canvas to weather a little and I can add the decals.The QLD/T bodies have had their base coat applied and the

cab,s are in the process of assembly.

SDC13968%20640x480_zps9zzoywtc.jpgSDC13969%20640x480_zpslzrp6pgz.jpgSDC13971%20640x480_zpsq8ds9fcl.jpg

• Like 3

Morning folk's,the tilly and Bedford are decalled after glossing so Hopefully after work tonight I can finish them.The QLD/QLT have now

got their cab's built,I painted the interiors sky although I believe cream was another colour used.The windows on these two fit from the

outside so can go on last,nice one Airfix,thank's for popping in.

SDC13977%20640x480_zpswoyay4ft.jpgSDC13979%20640x480_zpsbf2zb5si.jpg

• Like 3

Nice going Steve, these Airfix kits have taken a leap forward. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thank's Simon,to be honest you could comfortably build each of them in a day,the airbrush also make's painting easy not the chore

it was painting vehicles by hand.

• Like 1

Morning all,Tilly and Bedford now finished and in RFI, so carry on with the QLD/T pair.I was thinking while I,m enjoying this vehicle

thing of carrying the post,s on as a sort of "on the workbench" thread as there are a few more I would like to build some American

truck,s like the the Academy "Dragon wagon" but that,s for later so here are the Bedford's with their cab's fitted and tilt's assembled and popped on for

the photo.

SDC13994%20640x480_zpsnp30dard.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Still coming on nicely. I'm busy with holiday arrangements then the holiday itself. Giving me withdrawal symptoms every time I visit this site :(

keep up the good work Steve.

Thank,s Ian I popped into my LMS for supplies and he was just unpacking a box of Revell kit,s and there among them Monty;s caravan

and Dingo scout car complete with the original street scene base,needless to say it,s now on my workbench! so that will be my next

vehicle build.

Oh dear Steve, you just could not help yourself ?

The Bedfords are looking pretty spot on mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Oh,and Academy's cargo truck too Simon,well it's rude to only buy one kit!

Hi all,here,s a couple for the future to add to the thread,and there's a fairly large base(nearly the size of the box) with "Monty's"

caravan which will be handy for photograph's.the US truck has a Vietnam scheme which might be an interesting weathering

project with that characteristic red mud I see on a lot of build,s.

SDC13998%20640x480%20640x480_zpsu0sfng4l

• Like 4

Hi folks,whilw the airbrush was out today thought I would prime the base from the caravan set and paint it for photographing some of the vehicle's on,

the Matchbox molder did a pretty good job on this,should paint up pretty well.

SDC14000%20640x480_zpsprggfnvb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm really enjoying this thread.....You are drifting closer to the dark-side with each new purchase! Muhahahahahaha! :devil:

Thank,s Sarge,I,ve always "dabbled" but the airbrush makes such a difference especially on truck chassis etc and I definitely want to do armour rather

than aircraft for the Vietnam GB.

Hi Steve. Sorry I've not kept up with your thread as much as I'd have liked - I've been a bit busy recently and ended up more or less just hanging around the BoB GB when I get chance to get online. It looks like this/these are progressing very nicely. And you are right the base does look excellent. Looking forward to seeing more progress and I promise I'll try and pop back more often!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Steve. Sorry I've not kept up with your thread as much as I'd have liked - I've been a bit busy recently and ended up more or less just hanging around the BoB GB when I get chance to get online. It looks like this/these are progressing very nicely. And you are right the base does look excellent. Looking forward to seeing more progress and I promise I'll try and pop back more often!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank's Stix,been offline for ten day's on holiday's and without camera for a week before that so a lot of progress in the few day's before going away.

Dreading trying to catch up with the BoB GB so much I,ve missed but will catch up soon,should get some pic's sorted on this thread soon.

Hi all,apologies for the big jump in progress but in the week before my hol's I had left my camera with my son and cold not record any of said progress.

first up that base which was painted and dry brushed then a little "moss" added in a few places which should be better to photograph finished build's

than my usual white card.

SDC14248%20800x600_zps25wvdhci.jpgSDC14249%20800x600_zpsy4uzhsg8.jpg

Next the Bedford QLD which only need's unit marking's then matt coating,I used a black marker around the edges of the glazing before fixing into

place.

SDC14250%20800x600_zpstsy5o8dn.jpgSDC14251%20800x600_zpslcyrpb3x.jpg

And the QLT which need's unit marking's and the glazing fixing and a few detail's added.

SDC14253%20800x600_zpscrdsyidp.jpgSDC14254%20800x600_zpsnxyzctxr.jpg

• Like 4