B-29 restoration "Doc"

busnproplinerfan

It may have been posted already, not sure. The B-29 named Doc has just had it's long restoration done. It will be flyable!! It was supposed to be flying by now. Look for it online, they have a youtube channel. Hope they someday bring it above the border.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

I have been following its progress and it should have flown last year but there were some minor issues to sort out which took longer than they anticipated, they are now waiting for warmer weather mid spring has been suggested .

Another one to watch is the Mid Atlantic Air Museum P-61 Black Widow restoration to flight !!

Guy

• Like 1

I have been following its progress and it should have flown last year but there were some minor issues to sort out which took longer than they anticipated, they are now waiting for warmer weather mid spring has been suggested .

Another one to watch is the Mid Atlantic Air Museum P-61 Black Widow restoration to flight !!

Guy

A P-61 would be cool, those are a great looking plane. Guess I have to get my passport so I can go see these when they're done.

• Like 1

A trip to the U.S is on the cards for me sometime in the future ! its a case of to much to see with too little time at the moment.

You might also find this interesting that the A-26 Legacy Foundation is restoring a B-26K (special Kay) to flight you can follow its progress on WIX with some great photos and information.

Guy

Oh, cool! :) Interesting to hear about the P61 as well - I'll have a good look at their website later.

Its a good read with a wealth of photos.

Gu

• 2 weeks later...

"Doc" is starting to being vetted today by the FAA with a view to grant an airworthiness certificate stating with the paperwork, the aircraft has had to spend the winter outside but now has use of a hangar.

First flight could be April or May temp has to be 50 degrees plus for engine start.

So fingers crossed for the team.

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

An update.

Doc's engines were run up again, for the first time this season and in preparation for the FAA inspection required to be "cleared for flight".

Interestingly, there is deliberately no word or suggestion of when the fist flight will be. This is to remove any form of "pressure" to meet a deadline and the team are quite satisfied to just make it happen when Doc says so!

Hats' off to everyone involved in this restoration!

• Like 1

I wonder if it will make it to Oshkhosh in July? Maybe alongside the CAF B29. Now that would be a sight to see. Two B29s in the air together. As it happens I'm going to be in Oshkosh for the entire week.

I wonder if it will make it to Oshkhosh in July? Maybe alongside the CAF B29. Now that would be a sight to see. Two B29s in the air together. As it happens I'm going to be in Oshkosh for the entire week.

Someday I want to go to Oshkosh bygosh. I'm sure they want to, might be to late to get a spot there.

• Like 1

I hope it works out for them , what a great job they have done in getting another B-29 restored to an airworthy condition.

Be good to see two B-29's in the air !

Guy

Edited by F4u

Does look great some serious amount of polishing.

Guy

They'll have to paint it at some stage: actual bare metal is not a sustainable basis for aircraft preservation in the long term.

I'm not so sure - the B-17 'Sentimental Journey' has been in highly polished NMF like Doc since it's restoration in the 1980's - 'Yankee Lady' is another. As long as they are hangared and get a regular polish they seem to fare well.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure - the B-17 'Sentimental Journey' has been in highly polished NMF like Doc since it's restoration in the 1980's - 'Yankee Lady' is another. As long as they are hangared and get a regular polish they seem to fare well.

Yes if kept polished should be no problems there's quite a few different aircraft with NMF.

Guy

• 1 month later...

Great news about the first flight hope it goes well with no major problems.

Guy

Doc has now got a FAA certificate of airworthiness well done to all.

http://www.b-29doc.com/

Guy

Edited by F4u