German Air Force Canberra colour advice needed

Welkin

re grass: well yes, somewhat serious at least. One way of checking the likely accuracy of a colour reproduction is to judge how the other features included in the photo appear. Normally this would be flesh, uniforms, and such like. Not having any of these present, I have to say that the strongly blue-green tint of the foreground grass in the upper photo just looks wrong, based on 34 years of walking past that particular patch of grass, but with the usual qualifier on memory. However, there are other signs in the upper photo - the red in the German fin flash and the ejection triangle also appear too dark.

I thought exactly the same Graham, the grass looked much more, well, grassy, but the Canberra, looks decidedly brown! :( I may have a solution to the problem, If Welkin finds a shade of orange he likes the look of, I'll find a photo to match :) but seriously, I got my tin of British scarlet very soon (within a few days) of seeing the German B.2 so I am quite happy that the colour I used was a good match.

John

Edited by canberra kid

That's very good the only issue I would have is the use of the phrase Day-Glo, perhaps it's a translation thing?

John

I would agree on that statement, quite a few people get confused regarding, bright non standard colours, also Day-Glo and Flourescent.

I may have a solution to the problem, If Welkin finds a shade of orange he likes the look of, I'll find a photo to match :-)

Ha! Fantastic! Says it all really! Nice one John

Put 'German test aircraft orange' into Google image search brings up interesting results, Difficult to see how I could be Dayglo??

. . . Kes (enjoying the research debate!)

• Like 1

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I once saw one at Fairford fitted with wings from an RAF example Standard RAF camo with black yellow unders. I don't recall if both wings were like that but claerly a replacement and one that would make an interesting model....

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I once saw one at Fairford fitted with wings from an RAF example Standard RAF camo with black yellow unders. I don't recall if both wings were like that but claerly a replacement and one that would make an interesting model....

Take a look at the article linked to above by dwh.

E.E. Canberra B Mk.2 in GAF service - very useful.

Orange.jpg

I did a quick comparison with the Humbrol oranges in my paint-box, but none of them looks right.

I do agree that RAL 2005 could be a better match, if I can find a paint that matches - any suggestions?

What about Xtracolor 'International Orange'? Or is that too day-glo?

Edited by Welkin

Hu82 Hu82 Hu82 Hu82 Hu82 Hu82 !! . . . . Ha!

The others are too bright in 1/72, but what ever you think is best will be the right choice, looking forward to seeing this go together, don't forget to visit John's Canberra SIG, all the research info you need is in there.

. . . Kes (Hu82)

From what it looks like on the screen I'd go with what Kes says Hu82 looks good to me, not so much on your sample but I googled it and found a photo of a C-119 with the international orange areas painted in it and it looks good http://tedtaylor.hobbyvista.com/140-italeri-c-119/page-140-c-119.html it's the second from the bottom. Whatever it's NOT 209! As Kes kindly says, when you do get stuck in and if you need any Canberra info take a look at my little site http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/ if you can't find what you're looking for drop me a line, I have more than I have on the site.

regards

John

Edited by canberra kid

I have to admit that Humbrol 82 is looking much more like it, despite my advocation of daygo. This is very good news, as I was not looking forward to having to wear sunglasses when painting my 1/48 Canberra.

By the way, isn't this topic a classic example of what Britmodeller should be all about?

• Like 1

I'll have a look if I have something in old German mags on the Bundeswehr birds, especially some RAL reference (which may or may not be correct). In any case, I think I read "International Orange" somewhere relating to them, though even if I remember correctly, and if that reference itself was correct, that of course doesn't mean they wore it for their entire career. As their service was long, they will have been repainted at least once, I'd imagine. If this was being done in Germany, all probablity is that it was a RAL-matched paint; if it was done in the UK, I'd guess there's chance for the nearest BS match to some RAL tone, whichever it is.

Possibly, but unless some UK manufacturer produced RAL-matched paint, that would have necessitated importing paint from Germany, which probably would have had an effect on cost. Am I right in that a certain selection of NATO shades is more or less standardised (like Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green) and exists across the colour standards of NATO countries, with slight deviations ? If the Canberras were done in one of that shades and repainted in the UK, use of the BS equivalent shade would seem somewhat sensible. Many ifs :2c:

I have to admit that Humbrol 82 is looking much more like it, despite my advocation of daygo.

Hu.82.jpg

I downloaded a swatch of RAL 2005 from the interweb and printed it onto my colour printer and it came out very close indeed to Hu.82.

Edited by Welkin

Seems the GAF Canberras were converted at Marshals of Cambridge, and weren't dayglo if the chap who composed post #11?

Interesting stuff straight from the horses mouth??

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/413281-luftwaffe-canberras.html

. . . Kes (who is seriously considering building his own Kraut Kanberra!! in Hu82 naturally) Ha!

The closest I can find to Signal Orange is Vallejo Model Color 805 German Orange.

A few years back WTD61 painted up F4F 37+16 and a Tornado 45+03 in exactly the same colour to celebrate it's 50th anniversary.

Edited by scotthldr