German Air Force Canberra colour advice needed

Welkin

The closest I can find to Signal Orange is Vallejo Model Color 805 German Orange.

A few years back WTD61 painted up F4F 37+16 and a Tornado 45+03 in exactly the same colour to celebrate it's 50th anniversary.

F-4F 37+16 and Tonka 45+03 were painted in RAL 2000 Gelborange (Yelloworange), which is much lighter than the hue of those three Canberras.

Fun fact by the way: Those three german Canberras have at no point in their career been flown by the Luftwaffe. They always belonged to semi-civilian institutions or to units that reported directly to the MOD. :winkgrin:

O3.jpg

I got a bottle of Vallejo 805 German Orange and added it to the other colours; the underlay is RAL 2005 downloaded and printed on my colour printer.

The German Orange looks to be a pretty good match.

I think that is what I am going to go for.

P.S. The painted wing has been placed on paper which has had RAL 2005 printed onto it.

Edited by Welkin

Pretty good match to what? What are you comparing it to and with? What I'm seeing on my computer screen is three shades of brown and a super bright florescent orange non of which I'd choose based on this sample, unless you have an orange German Canberra parked outside your choice will be speculative at best, go with the one you think will look right in the scale of your choosing, that's the right one, and no one can tell you any different with any certainty

. . . Kes (did I mention Hu82?) Ha!

• Like 1

Pretty good match to what? What are you comparing it to and with?

Quote Welkin: "

I got a bottle of Vallejo 805 German Orange ...; the underlay is RAL 2005 downloaded and printed on my colour printer.

The German Orange looks to be a pretty good match." Unquote.

Quote Welkin: "

I got a bottle of Vallejo 805 German Orange ...; the underlay is RAL 2005 downloaded and printed on my colour printer.

The German Orange looks to be a pretty good match." Unquote.

I think you missed my point, completely?

. . . Kes (who reads posts carefully before replying)

• Like 1

...and that worked so well for the greeny-bluey F-4J(UK)'s ;)

Ahhhh yeah, a US take on Barley Grey or MSG what ever it was supposed to be? They were an odd colour weren't they? I remember a forum debate on UAMF trying to work out which colour they were??

. . . Kes

Ahhhh yeah, a US take on Barley Grey or MSG what ever it was supposed to be? They were an odd colour weren't they? I remember a forum debate on UAMF trying to work out which colour they were??

. . . Kes

Didn't it also depend on the undercoat and lighting conditions?

Trevor

Yep... No two really looked alike. Some looked Grey, some Blue, (in the same frame)... Some even looked Green at times... But as we all agree, colours do weird things on film and on screen (unless you're anal about Pantone Calibrations like I am) and in 'personal interpretation'... ;)

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

O5.jpg

Last bit of research - I got some Revell Luminous Orange (R25) and some Xtracolor International Orange (X104).

I have decided to use the Xtracolor (it looks better in real life than it does in the photograph).

Thanks to all for the input.

Edited by Welkin
  • Like 1

Good for you, I'll be interested to see it in the wrong colour!!

Ha! Kidding Kidding! Just for larfs!! Like I said earlier, which ever colour you choose will be right for your purposes and no one can tell you you're wrong!!

Well, not with any justification anyhow.

. . . Kes (in a playful mood)

Edited by Kes
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello Sir,

The reason I asked to join Britmodeller today of all days, having been looking at your post.  I am crazy about Canberras.  I ask, can you give me guidance, though a couple of years have passed, what is the correct German, and I don't say Luftwaffe, orange in Humbrol or Tamiya.  I was at RAF Wyton as RAF and MoD from 1989 until 2010 and in July 1991 a kind Squadron Leader pilot arranged for me to have a ride in Canberra TT18 WK123 'CY' of 100 Squadron. I am sure you know as it is very well documented that CY was sold as spares with the Un-repainted wings being put on a German Canberra.  That is my current project using the Airfix kit and Ha Hen decals.  I will post pictures, and I know two people will never produce the same coloured photo but I am thinking of using a rattle can of Humrol 18 orange acrylic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oggy224 said:

Hello Sir,

The reason I asked to join Britmodeller today of all days, having been looking at your post.  I am crazy about Canberras.  I ask, can you give me guidance, though a couple of years have passed, what is the correct German, and I don't say Luftwaffe, orange in Humbrol or Tamiya.  I was at RAF Wyton as RAF and MoD from 1989 until 2010 and in July 1991 a kind Squadron Leader pilot arranged for me to have a ride in Canberra TT18 WK123 'CY' of 100 Squadron. I am sure you know as it is very well documented that CY was sold as spares with the Un-repainted wings being put on a German Canberra.  That is my current project using the Airfix kit and Ha Hen decals.  I will post pictures, and I know two people will never produce the same coloured photo but I am thinking of using a rattle can of Humrol 18 orange acrylic.

I would say yes go for Humbrol 18, you may like to take a look at a build going on on my site at the moment Luftwaffe Canberra 99+34 If you're crazy about Canberra's you will probably enjoy a wonder around my site. IPMS UK Canberra SIG

John