F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/72 Eduard

Hey guys, i would like to show you my last finished kit - this time it was just OOB quick build of the Eduard´s overtrees version of F6F Hellcat. The decals are from spare box. I did not make propper WIP here on BM as it was quite fast build, but for those interested in few shots of the painting progress, here it is http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984891-f6f-3-hellcat-just-the-paintingweathering-stage/ :)

As i said, the hellcat was built mostly OOB, i only made new exhausts and gun barrels from needles and new position lights from clear plastic.

And here are few shots of the result - not exactly the best what i could do, but it is only my third finished kit this year, so i m happy for it :)

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

All the shots are a bit too blue (the camera keeps autoadjusting the colours on macro mode.. :fight: ), but this one is the closest to the reality if we talk about colours :)

016.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 44

Wolwe, congratulations on an excellent result :goodjob:

The weathering is superb. I've seen your partial WIP on the weathering and painting phases and was quite impressed by your approach. I'll have a go at it when I build my Eduard F6F.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful Hellcat Wolwe. Stunning modelling skills on display as always. It's amazing what you do in 1/72. Some of the photos above look like they could be from a Hellcat in 1/32! Stunning! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

Cracking build - what a beautiful model! I've just added one of these to my stash and reckon I might well take your WIP as inspiration!

Great job!

• Like 1

Your models are very fresh, very realistic, and uncompromising. Everyone is different. And everyone is phenomenal and inspiring. And everyone has a delightful moments. You are my model Master dude ,-))

• Like 1

Probably some of the best chipping effects I've seen.... and very impressive that this type of realism can be achieved in 1/72 scale.

Are you happy to share your secret formula??

Top shelf build all round.

Cheers.. dave.

• Like 1

Man, this doesn't Look like 1/72 at all - rather like 1/48 or Even 1/32!

This is a top notch model of the Hellcat - weathering and especially chipping effects are very convincing.

Congrats to a real winner.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

It might be a quick build Wolwe but it does not lack the usual quality you build in! Superb as has been said it could be 1/32 scale.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys for your nice words, i m happy you like my "angry fish" hellcat ;) even though it is not as good as you guys say ;)

To all of you who wants to build 1/72 or 1/48 hellcat, i can realy recommend the Eduard kits - it goes together so easy.. the middle canopy part and wings are not even glued to the fuselage! (Though the wings to fuselage fit is so nice, you could have a bit of problems if you paint too many layers of paint or too thick layers - for me it was so so.. but before painting, the fit is simply amazing!)

About the chipping - i m using chipping fluid made by "ammo mig jimenez", here it was "heavy chipping effects A.mig-2011" - you paint the base colour, let it dry, give it coat of the chipping fluid, let it dry and then spray coat of the next layer paint. After 10-15 mins you can begin to scratch down the top layer with wetting the surface and scratching down by toothpick, tweezers, sharp knife, needle (for the tinniest scratches the needle is amazing - simply gently follow the panel lines where you want the scratches, no need to push hard and the paint ll peel off). The more thick of chipping fluid you use, the easier (and in bigger chips) is the paint going down. There are few things i did learn about this method (i believe it is generaly known, as it is kind of the same as "hairspray" method, but maybe for some it might be useful :) )

- it is good to use surfacer as a primer or some well adhering paints at the first layer, so you dont accidentaly scratch down to the plastic (for me, the Gunze C paints or Agama spirit based paints works great as the first layer, because both are holding realy great, classic acrylics like vallejo or tamiya does not hold so good on bare plastic)

- you can spray the chipping fluid with airbrush or use hand brush; with airbrush, you give thinner coats, which means the paint ll tend to peel off in smaller chipps but it ll also go down a bit harder; with hand brush (or thicker coats by airbrush) the paint ll tend to peel off in bigger chipps and it ll go down easier, so if you want to use hand brush and get small chips, you have to be realy careful and use only tinny bit of water

- after you paint the base + chipping fluid + top coat layers and go on with the water to begin with the scratching, go step by step, tap the water only on small area, like 1-2 cm only, you wont be able to work on bigger area in time anyway and you would have to tap the water on the surface again.. and if you use too much water on one area, the top paint can go down completely, in BIG chips like over half wing or so. So go on it easy, slowly, no haste :)

- the ammo chipping fluid is active much longer then hairspray would be - you can get back to the kit next day and still be able to do the scratching

- you can repeat the chipping fluid method in more layers to give it some mor einteresting effects, but it is good to seal the layers with varnish (matt or satin, on gloss varnish the chipping fluid wont hold good enough), let it dry AND if you plan to do more layers, i recommend to use some soft grinding cloth (the sandpaper on cloth for WET sanding) and do some wet sanding of the surface for smoother finish - here be caeful, if you are using tamiya or vallejo acrylics, the wet sanding can dissolve the paint (mainly tamiya acrylics) - go on it softly and gently. For this job i m using GSI grinding cloth 4000, do not push on it hard, only soft moves over the surface

- some paints i found out good for this method - tamiya acrylics going down realy good if you spray thin layer, you need just tiny bit of water and the paint goes down super easy

- vallejo acrylics going down also good, but you dont have to be that much careful as with tamiya

- agama spirt based acrylics are my favourite ones probably for this job - these needs more patience, but if you are patient, result is great

- and some paints not good for this method - generaly this is not working with synthetic/enamel paints (these do not let the water soak through so it wont reach the chipping fluid)

- gunze C - these takes forever to strip down, it can be done but you realy need to push hard on it. but these are great as a base paint! :)

As for the weathering effects of camouflage, i m trying to learn from Bera Károly and his great tutorials :)

Thanks guys for watching and if you had any questions, just go ahead :) i ll answer when i have a bit of time :)

• Like 7

Great looking model, love the chipping and thanks for the tips.

If you like the colours best in the last shots, read of the white balance for it and set your camera manually to this so all you pictures will match.

• Like 1