Better get started.....

Took a break from the Meatbox today for a rendezvous with two curvaceous ladies! Cracked open the lids on two of the new 48th

Airfix Hurricanes (been taunting me for a couple of months now). I've made a little bit of a start:

2wgfzh0.jpg

I have to admit being aghast at all the detail crammed into the cockpit area which I've assembled slightly differently from

the instructions (uh oh!).

I plan on finishing the first as P2728 / AF-C, a 607 sqn machine that was lost on 09/09/40 while flying from Tangmere.

Sadly it wasn't until 1972 that the pilot was recovered. It's a fairly standard machine with type B camouflage and markings.

The identity of my second build will be P3901 / RF-E of 303 sqn finished in a type A scheme. I have so much respect for

these guys so it was an easy decision.

All that remains is to wish you all good luck with your builds and have a great GB - lets make this a good one to show our

respects.

• Like 8

Meanwhile, in Hawker's shadow factory somewhere on the South Coast, production is ramping up:

15gw508.jpg

The first fuselages are coming down the line following their wing assemblies and the Rotol company have delivered the first

of many airscrews for our boys in blue.

21jq1qu.jpg

Here we see what will eventually be one of our boy's office's. Skilled production has ensured all parts fit together perfectly, well done Mr.Airfix!

These Hurricanes and many others coming off production lines all around the U.K. will ensure the only thing Mr.H gets if he tries to invade will

be a bloody nose! (apologies to Pathe News).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, you'll see it's some time since my last post here - that's because last time at the table I had an absolute mare. Whist trying to fit wings to fuselages I had a struggle getting them to mate properly. They would not fit snugly and if they did they were too far back. Now I'm sure you've all had a one of those times when instead of walking away and calming down, you blinkeredly struggle on. This is what I did and they upper wings decided to come adrift but that wasn't the worst of it.

The liquid poly that was open and ready for use hit the floor and went all over, lifting the paint off the floorboards. SWMBO came up to see what all the cursing was about and promptly went ballistic. I stood up and left the table and have not been back until today. I have checked and rechecked the instructions against my assemblies and it appears that the cockpit framework is pushing the wings out of alighnment. This is confirmed by the fact that after cutting the frames back the wings have dropped straight into place........aahh 20/20 hindsight! Has anyone else had this problem or is it me??

Anyhoo, the picture below shows the required fix. I shall dabble a little more this afternoon and see how I feel.

2jfyhjn.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, finally had some good work time to settle down and get back on track. I managed to sort out the wing/fuselage problems I had although I still don't know why. Some of the joins weren't so good but they've been made acceptable with liberal use of W&D and elbow grease, the main items are all together, and the first base coat is now on. Below are a selection of (boring) piccies so you can see the progress:

o0cnx3.jpg

9sdx6b.jpg

iqllkl.jpg

kd4pdh.jpg

14w4vap.jpg

2imaoeg.jpg

2dhfcdk.jpg

23v179x.jpg

Both models are now at the same stage, they both need a little cleaning up around the wing/fuselage join but we are back in the game.

I'm hoping for a smooth ride now - but you never know!

• Like 4

Isn't it fun when you start throwing the paint around!

This is how they are at the moment:

2nrpy80.jpg

This is my type A scheme Hurri and she'll be finished as a 303 sqaudron machine:

10pzf5l.jpg

This one is in the B sheme and will be finished as a 607 squadron machine:

1znudu1.jpg

The undersides need touching up on the 303 sqn machine, then I may take a peek at decals.........

• Like 4

Dan, your last post got me thinking so I went through all my Hurricane references. I was able to find a few pictures with the ailerons displaced (a couple were very pronounced). So I am just wondering if there was a locking mechanism in the cockpit which was left off when the pictures were taken?

• 2 weeks later...

Think it's about time for a couple more pictures of the progress:

303 Sqn:

29bkhhl.jpg

607 Sqn:

2uy3dk6.jpg

Progress is slow after a slower start and I have had to make assumption in a couple of areas, and despite a huge cock-up (no I'm not telling) this has been a fun GB. I am also in total awe with some of the beauties in the Gallery. Finally, no I still don't know why my pictures post the wrong way!

• Like 3

OK before I break out the hairy stick, can anyone tell me if they have used Humbrol Matt Cote over Lakeland Quickshine polish?

it's time to dull the paintwork down but I don't want to make a move until I'm sure it will work and these are my favourite

"varnishes" although I've never used them both together.

T.I.A.....

Update time and in answer to my last query - Quickshine and Matt Cote work really well together . All the decalling and matt varnishing is done, major assembly finished, it's time for the canopies now :S not my favourite job. Then a bit of weathering and attach the smaller items. Anyway, this is where we are at the mo:-

RF-E of 303 sqn, known to have been used on occassion by Witold Urbanowicz:

263y6pz.jpg

2vtnl0n.jpg

Also AF-C of 607 sqn. Flown by Sth African George Drake. This machine took off from Tangmere on 09/09/40 and in the words of his fellow pilots

" nothing was heard of him again". It wasn't until 1972 that Drake's Hurricane was found in Kent and this brave man could be given the burial he so

richly deserved:

2ebah6b.jpg

2gv6exc.jpg

Both pilots were at different ends of the scale of success, but none the less both deserve our greatest respects.

• Like 2