Air Ace Picture Library - Defiant Night Fighter

Dermo245

So this started off as a chat in Joe's Defiant build over in the Battle of Britain GB - he remembered reading a Commando (or similar) cartoon strip about a Defiant pilot in the BoB, his lucky scarf and how cool the story was.

I knew I had a copy of it somewhere in the attic so while up there browsing the stash earlier, I found it! And rather than clutter up his build thread, i've posted some pictures over here..

Air%20Ace%20Picture%20Library_Front_zps4

I'm sure stories like this got many of us interested in modelling and I have to admit the artwork still holds up today, all these years later.

Air%20Ace%20Picture%20Library_Night_Figh

Our hero Tom Harley first fought in South America in 1937 and his wingman was shot while bailing out by a villain with a black panther on his aircraft

Tom saves the life of an old woman, a fortuneteller when he crash lands himself and she thanks him by giving him a scarf to protect him

Returning to England, Tom is called up by the RAF to fly Defiants. His first combat sees him in action over Norway..where he meets the Black Panther aircraft again...

137d44e4-f5d1-4036-aa12-8c8f0f7756c5_zps

Really love how the artist changed the perspective on this scene...

dc8eba48-bfa8-4209-a72c-8fa5cf5da0bf_zps

He also sees action over Dunkirk and always seems to come away unscathed, thanks to his scarf..

But transfers to Night Fighting duties as the Defiant's limitations are exposed..

And while on the lookout for a ditched Lancaster, comes face to face with his nemesis again...

07f16211-9c06-4288-a706-726c0ba0aa65_zps

Hopelessly outgunned and outnumbered, Tom and his gunner Mac manage to make it back safely, thanks to some coastal Ack Ack guns...

e598e16c-a101-452a-9eac-72c33c451fe7_zps

But their plane is mortally damaged and crashes on landing...

His gunner is killed but Tom somehow survives and after recovering from his wounds, goes into a training and testing role..

163b7684-8c6d-4ec5-ab79-4dfda4108f7d_zps

And leading a flight of Meteors on a training exercise, meets his cowardly nemesis again..

5e24073a-4b59-4ce2-adf5-2725eba22733_zps

His demons banised, his scarf is no longer needed...and the old lady's prophecy is fulfilled..

18106b3a-d3a1-47e2-a452-a04c825904fc_zps

Don't write 'em like they used to! Hope you enjoyed it...

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

That's the one. Thank you Dermot. You've gone to a lot of trouble. Thanks again. :)

Hi ,i think i remember reading this ,when he is first posted to Defiant's he is not too keen ,is there a bit with a ground crew saying it is a bit rough on the pilot ?.

I think the his new boss tell him he's just a driver now!