Channel Dash

Paul Rigby

This is another painting from Lincolnshire-based artist, Robin Smith. Painted with the co-operation of the Whirlwind aircraft pilot featured in the action here. I have to say, though, that this grab doesn't do even the print justice (I have a framed copy on my wall).

Smith himself said that, "To me, an equally interesting element of the image is that of the Scharnhorst itself. One of negative performance characteristics of the vessel was the fact that the bow seemed to spend most of it's time under water! A modification to the bow was employed known as an Atlantic bow, but apparently had little effect. The ship bobbed up and down so much, the forward turrets were frequently out of action."

Paul

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-12%20at%2011.14.

Edited by Paul Rigby
  • Like 7

That's very nice - don't often see a Whirlwind as the feature aeroplane!

Very true - I think it was only done in this way because the artist got talking with the Whirlwind pilot. I couldn't resist it as I love the aircraft but it's also very evocative.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Paul,

I think Robin has an excellent eye for detailing and depth and color..

This is simply MAGNIFICENT..

The viewers' eye is drawn to the Ship but intermittently the vision sees the aircraft in the front but

notices that the ship is in heavy water that allows it to bob up and down in the waves suggesting turbulence of the water.

very nicely done...composition et al WONDROUS to see. :heart::worthy::worthy:

• 2 weeks later...