AMT ERTL 1/48 P-40N

Started this one last night as I couldn't wait till after the BoB GB. As some of you may have guessed from my avatar the P-40 is one of, if not my favourite aircraft from World War 2. Looking forward to seeing a couple at Duxford this weekend. Here's my work so far, only a little bit of construction and sprayed the interior. Cockpit will get painted up tomorrow evening if I get the time.

image%2027_zpsse63efe1.jpeg

image%2029_zpscvqix7hq.jpeg

image%2028_zpsvqagtaon.jpeg

• Like 3

I have two of these kits. On both of my kits there is a distinct flaw in the fuselage halves. Near the tail section you may find a distinct step or offset. It's almost like there was a flaw in the molds. Whenever I get around to building mine I will try to thin the material from the inside and then carefully cut off the back portion of the fuselage halves and try to re glue them at the proper position. Anyhow, that's my game plan and I'm "Stickin' to it" !! Keep us posted. Bob

• Like 1

I have two of these kits. On both of my kits there is a distinct flaw in the fuselage halves. Near the tail section you may find a distinct step or offset. It's almost like there was a flaw in the molds. Whenever I get around to building mine I will try to thin the material from the inside and then carefully cut off the back portion of the fuselage halves and try to re glue them at the proper position. Anyhow, that's my game plan and I'm "Stickin' to it" !! Keep us posted. Bob

Hey bob, yeah I noticed there is a distinct lip on the tail section, I haven't got round to it yet so not sure what I'll do about it just yet. Cockpit is painted up awaiting a wash which I'll crack on with tonight. Hopefully get some photos up later on!

Here's my progress so far....

image.jpg1_zpsgxchvaom.jpg

image.jpg2_zpslbex8a9k.jpg

Here she is alongside my recently purchased Revell Monogram P-40B. I wanted to build up both cockpits at the same time as this is usually my least favourite part of builds. I will now solely focus on the P-40N, I still need to do some painting, add the reserve fuel tank and seatbelts. Maybe also deciding on a colour scheme would also help!

image.jpg3_zpskkojsvk3.jpg

• Like 2

I also have the Revellogram P-40 B. Keep us updated on your progress. By the way, I have a tentative game plan for the P-40 B. Since it is not as well detailed I might build it with the wheels up and hang it from the ceiling. This way I can save more shelf space for the detailed aircraft ... at least that's the plan. Keep up the good work. Bob

• Like 2

I also have the Revellogram P-40 B. Keep us updated on your progress. By the way, I have a tentative game plan for the P-40 B. Since it is not as well detailed I might build it with the wheels up and hang it from the ceiling. This way I can save more shelf space for the detailed aircraft ... at least that's the plan. Keep up the good work. Bob

I may do a Pre War scheme for the P-40B like the one at Duxford, my dad gave me the idea of maybe using foil to get a nice polished metallic finish . Wings are on the P-40N, needs tidying up and undercarriage building up.

Quick update....

43761FB2-7065-4230-A97F-3E6F81639739_zps

E5760B85-DFF8-4E07-A250-BA19A51DE430_zps

Wings on, next step is to work on the undercarriage, close up some tiny gaps and prime. I added some evergreen card and sanded smooth as there was a small step when I added the spinner.

• Like 1

Snip>. As some of you may have guessed from my avatar the P-40 is one of, if not my favourite aircraft from World War 2. Looking forward to seeing a couple at Duxford this weekend.

Have a good time at Duxford.

I'm a bit fond of the Kittyhawk myself.

G

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small update progress is slow with this one, hope I'd be able to spend some time on her as she's holding up my BoB Hurricane but car shopping has taken priority. Anyway hoping to get some paint down today.

8B002DDC-D97F-42DE-89CE-F47467D951B9_zps

D4DCE001-01FA-40F2-9A6F-6FA19C4CB9E8_zps

5334C8ED-B0E8-4F10-A765-88AEA4859A4C_zps

• 4 months later...