x2 Kawasaki P-1 to RIAT!

Radleigh

Be interesting to see how Boeing react to this news. Might we now see a P-8 in the flying display?

Apparently UK officials (whoever they are) met with Kawasaki representatives at the Paris airshow.......

Looks like I picked a good year to return to Fairford! :clap2:

It was interesting to see that photo of the P1 and P8 together. It was a little like seeing the A400 and Hercules seperately and then together, it was a "its a lot bigger than it looks" moment.

Nice looking aircraft, but I don't think it'll stand much of a chance against the P-8. The latter has a certain degree of commonality with the Sentry and RC-135 already in RAF use. That commonality will probably be the clincher, on cost grounds. The P-1 would be too different from a logistics point of view.

Mike. :hmmm:

The latter has a certain degree of commonality with the Sentry and RC-135 already in RAF use. That commonality will probably be the clincher, on cost grounds.

Really? Apart from the general shape of the pointed end and the address where the bills come from, what are the common parts?

• Like 1

That's why I wrote a certain degree of commonality, i.e. the engines and parts of the avionics. I am generally aware of the physical differences between a 707, 737 and C-135 derived airframe. Jennings Heilig certainly shouted loudly enough about it!

Besides, I'm thinking more along the lines of the influence the "P" word would have on any procurement decision. Boeing would probably lobby very hard for any contract. It's also highly likely that the possibility of buying major pieces of military equipment from Japan would be shouted down in the Commons.

It all comes down to what happens in the next SDSR and how much money the Treasury lets the MoD have!

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

There's this: LINK

States P-8 costs about two-thirds more.

From my own perspective, it would be nice to see the P-1 in UK service, but it currently seems that a "few, but very capable" platform tendency has developed in the MoD. Possibly at the behest of the Treasury.

At the end of the day, it comes down to politics, and we can't discuss that here! ;)

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

both about the same size ... now whos the winner !!.

From a length and wingspan perspective, they do look similar. However, the fuselage of the P-1 is clearly bigger in both width and depth; I suspect it has greater internal volume for both systems and weapons than the P-8.

The P-1 has the advantage of being a new, built for purpose aircraft from the ground up. The P-8 is a refitted airliner of which the original design is over 50 years old. I imagine the P-1 is likely quite a bit more ergonomic inside as the equipment and station layout could be designed with the aircraft rather than shoe horned into an existing one.

didnt the RAF prefer a 4 engine MPA ?

In the past yes, but this time i suspect they will be glad just to have the capability gap patched up by a first class ASW/MPA aircraft.

The SDSR 2015 is what we're waiting for and its wording as that may favour an urgent fix, or it may start a requirement. Be interesting to see if the JMSDF give any demonstrations to the RAF/RN of the P-1s capabilities whilst it's over here as that may indicate that they are looking at options .

In the past yes, but this time i suspect they will be glad just to have the capability gap patched up by a first class ASW/MPA aircraft.

The SDSR 2015 is what we're waiting for and its wording as that may favour an urgent fix, or it may start a requirement. Be interesting to see if the JMSDF give any demonstrations to the RAF/RN of the P-1s capabilities whilst it's over here as that may indicate that they are looking at options .

am sure they will give the uk access as the JMSDF will surely want an export order ...

I love it! It would be a change not buying US .

Wouldn't the RAF have its own equipment aboard that will be compatible with the Sentry and Sentinel. It doesn't have to have the Japanese gear does it.

( Unlike not being allowed/able to have our stuff fitted to that F-35 thing!!)

I love it! It would be a change not buying US .

Wouldn't the RAF have its own equipment aboard that will be compatible with the Sentry and Sentinel. It doesn't have to have the Japanese gear does it.

( Unlike not being allowed/able to have our stuff fitted to that F-35 thing!!)

more than likely mate ... now anyone for a 1/72 model of the P1

• Like 1