H.M. Schooner Fair Rosamund, the compact version

Put my back out a week ago, makes hunching over a workbench difficult, dammit. Still not right so I may need to surrender to an Osteopath tomorrow. &*%%" back! First hurt it back in '69 on the Coaster I worked on. Been an on and off problem ever since.

Managed to do a bit more refining of the gratings, despite the back....

much smaller parts, closer to scale. Used the chopper to cut strips

grating-2

which are then glued down to a bit of .5mm sheet which is, in turn, chopped into strips which are then glued together to form a chunk of grating...

gratingcut

Getting there....

• Like 3

My back is a bit more cooperative after a visit to the local Osteopath and I've managed to get more deck furniture done and in place. This is the main hatch. The ring lifting handles were done by the old technique of wrapping copper wire around a small drill bit, then cutting them apart...

hatch

Here's a shot of my progress. Hatches in place and the galley grating has a chimney. I'm fairly pleased with the gratings...they were a bit of a trial and error game... The pivot gun ring was cut from very thin plastic card and painted. I tried cutting it from shim copper but, um, it didn't work and I don't have the facility to do etching so...

bow-bits_zpspn2e0bia

Ta for looking,

F

• Like 1

Carronade, a short range weapon known to Navy types as a 'smasher'. Slavers went for this extremely odd mounting as, I guess, it saved deck space. Fair Rosamund in her pre-navy days carried a 32 pounder. Not much cop at scaring off RN Cruisers, but good enough to scare off poachers and Indigenous folk who might just take a dim view of slaving... In RN service two more guns were added, probably small caliber long guns but I can find no references for what bore or where they were mounted. It took two attempts to get a reasonably turned barrel - it's less that 1/4" long.... Three shots at getting the slide platform acceptable...down to the wheels. Needs painting now.

carr-01_zpsw7bqhddj

carr-03_zpsel3o95id

carr-02_zps1rthvhop

The odd little barrel shaped item behind the hatch is a 'crab', a sort of simple Capstan.

The back is somewhat better due to an exorbitant amount of money handed over to the local Osteopath. Still not really right though.

• Like 5

Getting into the fiddly little bits and pieces like these cleats. they are a bugger to drill! the wire is .5mm. They're pretty close to scale, the real thing being a foot or so long, these are 1/12th of an inch...approximately.

boombits_1

Then there's the deadeyes and lots of blocks, some as small as 8" in real life. There must be a better way to mass produce these things...

• Like 4

Well, it better be! Can the shirt have two pockets and a back pleat? Gotta look good while you suffer...

• Like 1

Good to see your still at it seadog.

foxy :coolio:

This is why I'm doing a WIP, mostly. Hoping to be egged on! It's easy, as I'm sure we all know, to sort of lose momentum on a long build. I'm going to do some smaller cleats in wire as well. I did thaton Scotish Maid and they worked well.

Still slogging through making the seemingly endless dinky fittings,,, cleats, fairleads, anchor rubbing plates....

bow-bits_zpspn2e0bia

pump handles, a Water barrel (3 goes to get that reasonably right...) and a part finished bucket....

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

After something of a lay-off, I've made a start again. Spent a bit of time diagramming the masts and yards so I know, hopfully, what willbehanging off where in terms of blacks etc. Spent today's allotted time turning the lower masts.

mast-turning_zpsxkded7ui.jpg

Not too exciting, but there y'go. Dawns on me I need to build a ship's boat before I go much further...yippee. At this scale it'll be something of a challenge.

• Like 5

Cheers. Bit chilly in the garage today, so I didn't get much done. Did take some time to go down to Freshwater Bay at High Tide....Big waves! Wind was gusting up to 95 mph out at the Needles.... Worser things do happen at sea...

• Like 3

The garage could do with someone else's money being spent on a load of insulation! :D

Actually, just at the mo I'm working on a book cover for an old friend...Money for a new band saw maybe...

• Like 3

I've written a sort of snagging list of stuff that needs to be done before I mast the ship...it's horribly long. Thought I'd probably start with the ships boat,

boats-small_zpsgrnaquqh.jpg

1.5 inches long, about 30mm....not, um, big then. I really should get around to making a small vac-former... The image is from a brilliant book, China Tea Clippers by George Campbell, a classic.

• Like 2

Seems were all bitten by the weather.

I to seadog. What with the need for storage space,(New Kitchen) and the weather has put my build off for a while.

Nice Idea to start on the Jolly.

There must be one in plastic around for that size me thinks.

I have me computer games to while away the time.

:popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

• Like 2