H.M. Schooner Fair Rosamund, the compact version

Rigging continues... last of the back stays are on and I've started on the bowsprit, jib boom and flying jib boom ensemble...flying jibboom isn't on yet....

rigging_zpshmh9hf3m.jpg

• Like 6

If you check out Chappels's drawing back on page one, there are no tops at all, just cross trees. I added the top on the foremast as I figured the RN would have sorted that one out right away. Mainly, though, it's a schooner and they didn't have maintops, even a 'Brig-Schooner like this 'un. Proper brigs did, however. Also the main topmast was always of a piece.

F

Yeah, all gets horribly complicated and in the second quarter of the 19th century things were changing fast. Not so much in the Navies, but merchant shipping was going for anything that mde for more efficiency - and a smaller crew.

• Like 1

OK...the fore gaff sail is up for a fitting, still needs brails and clew lines and about a dozen blocks before it's actually glued in. Mustn't for get the parrel beads either. lots of bits to a sail!

fore_gaff_zpsygvl8zmm.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Bob. I think it'll be a pretty thing when it's done if I manage to get through the Rigging without snapping off a mast!. I think I'm going to make life a bit easier on myself next time and do an Essex smack or similar...I have drawings. One mast, simple rigging.... :). I'd love to do one of the late 19th century ocean liners like Stella, but I need to build a bit bigger, I think, my eyesight is getting to be a bit of a problem, as is my general ham fistedness.. :) I did notice that the people who do the Scillonian do a Channel Island Tanker, the Sarnia Cheri, which, converted to plastic card and wood might be a fascinating build...

• Like 3

I need lots of blocks, single, doubles and a few triples... Impossible to do small single dead on scale but I can get fairly close. For what it's worth this is how I've been doing it...

First drill the holes for the lines...

blocks_2_zpsbksvgmsi.jpg

My next step is to use an edged riffler to groove the sides...

blocks_4_zpsbibjbxzl.jpg

Then I drill a cross hole to thread the strop through, make it easier to keep it in place...a touch of CA helps too!

blocks_6_zpstnm1wckh.jpg

Then the strop is tied off. Can be stropped with wire the same way...

blocks_7_zpslswiouh2.jpg

A finished single

blocks_8_zpstt4ejfup.jpg

...and a couple of doubles

blocks_9_zpsbufjx01z.jpg

OK, it isn't quick.... but it works.

• Like 7

Nice work seadog.

Having a milling table makes this a lot easier I have found, so thanks for putting me on to that.

Nothing in this scale makes it quick but cheaper than me buying them made up lol.

Nice work.

:popcorn:

Foxy :coolio:

• 3 weeks later...

Not been doing too much as I've got a couple of illustration projects on the go as well...not to mention procrastinating on making the dozens of blocks I'll need.

This shot and the next one are of the mains'l, getting it's reef points - both sides, of course.

mainsl_zpsoppkhvzg.jpg

mainsl_1_zps3eeyg15b.jpg

And here it's getting laced to it's gaff... with blocks attached for the lift and brails....

mainsl_2_zps86feibpd.jpg

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Well, the garage insulation job is nearing completion and my corner is operable again. So I figured it was time to carry on with rigging Rosamund...

mancave_zpsbihiwjee.jpg

mainboom_1_zpsuo8plezu.jpg

Time it got it's square sails, but first it needs a main boom... which was 60 ft long on the actual ship. It's horribly thin in 1/144th scale and turning it was a real hold yer breath job.

mainboom_2_zpsokunedp4.jpg

now it needs various bits stuck to it. Ought to be pinned, really. We'll see.

mainboom_zpsqrggpko5.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Thanks...actually, in terms of bulk, not really a lot of wood, as it's pretty small. :) The sails are made from Daler layout paper. It's thin, quite strong and acid free, Once coated with acrylic matt medium they should last a long time. Used the same technique on Scottish Maid, if you want some more detail!

• Like 1

Just looking at your drill set up, figure I'm going to have to go down this road.

Am I right in thinking that's a Proxxon drill press, what's the set up on it?

Time we saw some modelling out of you :rolleyes:

Kev

• Like 1