Mozzy's Orange entry returns

Seeing as the Black one is coming along very nicely, I thought I'd bite the bullet and make a start on this one. The only modifications will be to the exhausts as I'm going to use a set of Aires ones that I remembered I had knocking around.

The build so far is pretty much the same drill as the other one although I did spend a little more time on the seat belts and joined the nose halves to the fuselage halves before I closed everything up.

image.jpg2_zpsatn656go.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsovuvljpg.jpg

image.jpg2_zpspq3gmqjt.jpg

image.jpg3_zpshezzbxzm.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssls6k5ji.jpg

image.jpg5_zps0t6kxsrp.jpg

image.jpg6_zps0pv8um9p.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsfpzaufis.jpg

More tomorrow,

Sean :pilot:

• Like 3

Got the intakes painted and fitted this morning. Also other various bits and bobs were added, then sorted the seams and primed with Wilko's White primer.

image.jpg3_zpsfs92rgui.jpg

image.jpg2_zps7ruhi3mw.jpg

Still need to sort out a few seams that I didn't quite get done properly.

Right, managed to get some work done on this thing after work today. After some some surprisingly heavy duty sanding on the top of the intakes and the underside wing to fuselage join I then primed it again with white Tamiya primer this time. While it was drying, I concocted a mixture for the Orange. Can't give any exact details for the mixture I just used and old paint pot with some Revell red acrylic and then gradually added yellow until it looked about right. I also added some gloss varnish to the mixture to give it a sheen.

image.jpg2_zpsmjfpyaif.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsduhutpi9.jpg

image.jpg3_zpse2q1mgkd.jpg

More soon,

• Like 2

I had another look at this today and decided the orange was too dark so I repainted it. I also painted the nose, exhausts, rear fuselage and tail planes. It then got a gloss coat ready for decals. With the gloss coat, the orange turned out to be pretty close. I then encountered a problem. When fitting the decals on the left wing, I found them to be much too big and had a tendency to rip when I tried to move them.

image.jpg1_zpsjyhtkjzb.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsk3pt8bep.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsego7kezp.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsmcw8tmoy.jpg

Although I say the Orange is a pretty good match, the pictures sort of wash if out a bit.

More tomorrow,

• Like 2

Got more decals on it today and last night. The nose decals caused me some amount of aggravation, but after a liberal application of Mr Mark Softener Neo they settled down nicely albeit with a few wrinkles.

image.jpg1_zpsiyslz1ii.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsw6hit5gt.jpg

image.jpg3_zpstrrplmp4.jpg

You can also see the nose decals didn't fit well either... :wall:

• Like 1

Almost finished the decals on one side, just one on the nose and 2 on the tail. Then it's onto the other side and underneath. I'm aiming to try and get it finished by tomorrow evening. :)

image.jpg2_zpsyickcgzj.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsfys611rg.jpg

I might have to get another gun nosed one soon, I'm really liking the way they look!

• Like 2

Thanks Dermot.

Well, I missed my deadline that I set yesterday, but it is oh so close to being finished now. I've finished decaling the main airframe and only have the horizontal stabs to decal now. I also need to put it on its feet...

image.jpg2_zpsognc5hio.jpg

image.jpg1_zpskd9fjf8h.jpg

de484af9-5e1f-4e65-9f20-3c34afba6a96_zps

I had a heart in mouth moment when I picked it up while tidying up. I had inadvertently placed it on top of a small blob of Blutac which managed to rip off the spook when I lifted it up. A few curses went flying but luckily it was a clean tear and I think I saved it...

Oh and I managed to stab myself with some tweezers, so it's decided to fight back!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. All the bits and pieces for the landing gear were completed tonight and I started the final battle with the decals on the tail. When they're done, it's only gluing them and the pitot on and unmasking the canopy and it is complete!

Then I can fully focus on the J. I really want to get that done too.

Fast Phantom Sean!

Great looking scheme which has turned out a treat - looking forward to the J!

All the best,

Dermot

Thanks Dermot. Pictures are now in the gallery. :)

Sean

Thanks. :)

I would do some outdoor pictures, but I'm in Cumbria and it has been raining on and off since yesterday (surprise surprise...) so it would be pictures of a rather damp orange Phantom then. :shrug:

Sean