Tamiya 1/35th Chieftain V

Simon Cornes

I haven't done any AFV modelling for around 35 years but I picked up one of these at a car boot for £10 yesterday.

Could you give me some tips about building this straight from the box - assuming no big accuracy issues?

I'm an enamels man so any guidance you could give on techniques would also be much appreciated as I don't imagine going into AFV's big style - this one just scratches an itch!!

Thanks

Simon

It dates from the time when Tamiya was unsure if it was making toys or models but is quite accurate if you want to build a Mk2+. It is not a Mk5 as stated on the box.

The main shortcomings are lack of detail, but I don't know what sort of accuracy/detail you want. Robert Lockie made a corrections list for it years ago which can still be found on Dan Hays site <http://www.onepointed.com/dan/model/ChieftainTweaks/>.

There are several discussions about the kit on this site, and many builds in the Armour section, ranging from OOB, through aftermarket updates to a couple of my scratch built conversions.

The kit goes together well, and I would suggest that the only thing you really must do is remove the clips that attach the side skirts - these date from its original release as a motorised kit and are definitely not scale!