Hi everyone!

This is my latest completion for 2015, Fujimi's 1/700 model of the Japanese transport Sado Maru! It depicts the ship in the 1941-42 period after she was requisitioned and converted into an Auxiliary Anti-Aircraft Transport, or Boku Kikansen, for the Imperial Japanese Army. She participated in the invasion of Malaya, then the Dutch East Indies and was finally sunk off the Shortland Islands (part of the Solomons) in late November 1942.

Her Tabular Record of Movement from the combinedfleet.com website: LINK.

A model of her built by the Japanese modeller Motoyuki Iwashige, using the Skywave Kamikawa Maru kit as a basis: LINK.

The basic kit as provided by Fujimi has a few issues. First, the hull is too low and has have about 2.5mm added onto the bottom. The shape of the stern is also a bit suspect, but without proper references I left that alone. The main deck has planking detail, which is incorrect as the real ship had a steel deck without planking, again I didn't correct it. Another detail that's lacking is the stanchions either side of the superstructure, so they have to be added. Similarly I've added some detail to the various structures on the deck, which were latrines for the troops! Finally, Fujimi don't provide enough winches for the various cargo booms, so I had to nab two from their kit of the Seaplane Tender Sagara Maru in order to have the correct number.

Now for the photo! The first three I've shown before, but they should give some idea as to the extras that have to be added.

Box top:

Sado Maru Model 00

In progress pictures:

Sado Maru Model 01

Sado Maru Model 02

As completed:

Sado Maru Model 03

Sado Maru Model 04

Sado Maru Model 05

Sado Maru Model 06

As always, comments welcome! :thumbsup2:

Mike. :)