Sydonian Dragoon

Adeptus Mechanicus

Warhammer 40,000

This is GW's Sydonian Dragoon from the Ironstrider kit. No WIP as it was just thrown together as a quick side project. It's a typical GW model; quite nice mouldings except for a few clunky areas, much smaller than you expect it to be and stupidly over-priced (£26 for a flimsy end opening box containing two small sprues the size of a regular Airfix 1/72 kit).

Apart from drilling out the gun barrel and exhausts, it was straight from the box. Painted in turquoise and cream for no other reason than I liked the colour combination and didn't much like the GW red/cream scheme.

Hope you enjoy the shots

18794386823_201fe0b9ac_b.jpg

18792490174_35d9f3a51b_b.jpg

19227383600_c2ca94dc11_b.jpg

18794320553_e88c81a258_b.jpg

19408727052_62fc71c9b8_b.jpg

19388840836_84ba42d78a_b.jpg

19419089211_8da9700974_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 10

looks fantastic. superb job on the paint and finish....

im after some the mechanics figures my self when have the funds as they look great, only just got inmto painting games workshop stuff so got loads to learn as have no idea how to the layering yet!!!

• Like 1

Just saw this on Flickr as well - lovely work. It's my favourite of the new Mechanicus models - it may be small and expensive but it's such a neat design, with really unpleasant details (that poor gimp-suited servitor!) Like the 3D chips and that you haven't let the weathering overpower the bright colours.

I'm also curious about the base - it looks too 3D for crackle paint. Clay? Porridge oats?

Will

• Like 1

Thats a bit different! Very nicely done, how did you do the cracked mud on the base?

Just saw this on Flickr as well - lovely work. It's my favourite of the new Mechanicus models - it may be small and expensive but it's such a neat design, with really unpleasant details (that poor gimp-suited servitor!) Like the 3D chips and that you haven't let the weathering overpower the bright colours.

I'm also curious about the base - it looks too 3D for crackle paint. Clay? Porridge oats?

Will

Thanks guys

The base was done with the new(ish) Citadel Agrellan Earth crackle paint. I hadn't used it before so didn't know what to expect but it worked really well. If you paint it on thin you get little cracks but if you apply it thick you get a really heavy texture. It had a dark oil wash over the cracks and a pigment wash over the rest to give it a dusty look.

I'm not really sold on the 3D chips. I only did it on the leg armour and I think I used too light a highlight colour.

The little gimp is slightly disturbing, especially with his part amputated limbs wired into the walker.

looks fantastic. superb job on the paint and finish....

im after some the mechanics figures my self when have the funds as they look great, only just got inmto painting games workshop stuff so got loads to learn as have no idea how to the layering yet!!!

There's not much layering on this one, just a bit on the pilots cloak. It's not that hard to do, just keep the paint thin and build up the highlights gradually. Personally, I go for a more subtle finish and with less contrast and don't go for the extreme edge highlighting that a lot of GW builds have.

• Like 1

"I'm not really sold on the 3D chips" ...it's the chipping that makes this for me, Andy. I love it (possibly 'cause I'm struggling to match it, I might do a wip begging for tips!) I like the colours, too. Nothing wrong with the GW uniform Martian Red, but the whole world are painting theirs up as imitations of the 'Eavy Metal team's effort. A bit of variety is very welcome...

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Very cool! I really like these Mechanicus models and I'm considering picking a few up, even though it's been some time since I've bought a GW kit.

This is the first GW kit I've done for a couple of years. I've found the recent designs a bit uninspiring but the Mechanicus models do seem a step up

Andy

• 1 month later...

This is very nice, I think you've blasted a great many table top painters out of the water with your rendition! If you find the Citadel mini's uninspired or lacking in detail then I would suggest a loophole I exploit to remedy my congruent feelings:

Buy aftermarket sets to spruce up the models! :) I do a lot of converting as well, I buy 'bitz' and add detail where I think GW should have gone a little farther with the designs. My favourites are Tau and Eldar, but I own a bit of everything.

• Like 1

This is very nice, I think you've blasted a great many table top painters out of the water with your rendition! If you find the Citadel mini's uninspired or lacking in detail then I would suggest a loophole I exploit to remedy my congruent feelings:

Buy aftermarket sets to spruce up the models! :) I do a lot of converting as well, I buy 'bitz' and add detail where I think GW should have gone a little farther with the designs. My favourites are Tau and Eldar, but I own a bit of everything.

I normally do some conversion and detailing with GW stuff although there isn't really any on this one. I had a bit of a thing for scratch building grot tanks a couple of years ago. I really must do some more when I get the chance.

Andy

• Like 1

^ I'd love to see those. I'm not a big Ork collector by any means, but the grot tanks struck a chord with me. I may post up a project I've been working on lately, just waiting for some bitz to arrive before I christen it done.

• Like 1

^ I'd love to see those. I'm not a big Ork collector by any means, but the grot tanks struck a chord with me. I may post up a project I've been working on lately, just waiting for some bitz to arrive before I christen it done.

I've got a couple of group shots here and I'll get some more individual shots done and post them separately

21392134051_673c4dda70_h.jpg

21195688160_37b3edbc39_h.jpg

Andy

• Like 3