Porsche 928?

Mike

I've recently fallen for the old Porsche 928 after Mike Brewer and Edd China did a superb job or renovating one on Wheeler Dealers. Having never really been interested in Porsches, or vehicle kits since I was a lad, I've got no idea what kit would be suitable, but noticed that Hannants had a 1:24 Italeri kit of an S4, and a 1:20 Tamiya kit that looked a bit more like the one they did.

Can any of you knowledgeable car builders point me in the right direction to the best kit? :)

Some info on the Tamiya kit http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75273

If the choice was Tamiya or Italeri, I think I would go Japanese but I have not seen either kit so I may be wrong.

Saying all that I'm a 944 man myself! :banghead:

Fujimi do one as well but the only kit I could find for sale was £110 :yikes:

928s and 944s are not really proper Porsches. ;) That said, Revell did one way back when that was a bit better than the usual standard of Revell car kits - it had much finer detail. I have a part-built one from 20-odd years ago that is halfway converted to a drag car. It's still OK. Not sure where you'd get one these days though.

928s and 944s are not really proper Porsches. ;)

You will be telling us next that the Cayene and the Panamera aren't Porsches either :chair:

Engines in the front... I guess you can't please everyone :shrug:

Will have a look at the Tammy kit and see what I think - I'll also check out the Revell issue & see if I can track one down :)

You will be telling us next that the Cayene and the Panamera aren't Porsches either :chair:

Well, the Cayenne is a VW Touareg, really, but ...

There's quite a good listing here, starting with an old 1/16 Revell job and including some rum old stuff like 1/38. A number of 1/20 and 1/24 boxes are listed, though which is related to which and which is any good I wouldn't like to say. As to availability ...

The 928 is a lovely old thing and a 4.7-litre V8 is very much my idea of a good time. This is a car that's crying out for the full 1/12 multi-media treatment.

Proper pukka Porsches have rear engines and look like they belong on racetracks. Those current model barns on wheels are just... wrong.

If people want SUVs, they can buy from that discount German brand, BMW...

;)

• Like 1

The 928 was a GT in the Grand Tourer sense - so it was a departure from the norm (sports cars).

The 924 was something quite different and I believe certainly in the choice of 4 Cylinder inline engine - which apparently was developed in cahoots with Audi,,,,

So Porsche were certainly trying to develop new and different products - only trouble was they had already got it 'right' so anything else was bound to fail in comparison with the 901/911

• Like 1

Yeah, except that the 924/944/968 family were commercially by far the most successful Porsches of their 19 year production era, and kept the company from going spectacularly bust, plus unlike the lardy current front engine cars were also highly successful racing and rally cars.

(Don't worry, I like the ones with the engines in the wrong place too)

Mike, the Heller 1/43 scale 928S is an absolute gem, and well worth picking up.

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3164

• Like 1