Advice for vacu-forming

JeffreyK

Hi,

I'm currently working on a canopy part that I intend to produce by vacu forming. I don't have any real experience with this other than the odd smash-mould of simple parts.

My question is, when making a male master (so the clear plastic will be formed over the outside), how thick does the framing have to be so it will show through the finished clear part? I don't know yet what strength of PET-G material will be used - as thin as possible of course, but the canopy is relatively large so it can't be too thin or it will become too flexible and floppy to work with.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Really? That thin? Sounds promising. What was the thickness of the clear material (PET-G I assume?) you used?

Cheers

Jeffrey

Ah, that I cannot say for certain. I use pieces cut from packaging. It is PETG though

I suppose it might be about 20 thou thick.

But I was making canopies for single seater fighter types.

TBH I don't really see the advantage of having moulded framing: it's only there to give people lines to mask and/or paint to, and it will inevitably be more soft-edged than it really ought to be. In a large scale, better to do two vac-forms* and cut one up to make the framing that goes on the see-though one. In a small scale I'd just mask and paint, or more likely use painted decal strip.

*Or more precisely three. Do one to use as glazing, do another and leave it on on the mould, and do one over the top of that to be used for exterior framing - it will be just slightly larger.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

Many thanks guys! I will err on the thin side then, but will use plastic strips. Just painting the frames won't do, there is some large detail on there like hatches etc. that has to be structurally present.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• 1 year later...