1/48 Tamiya North American RAF Mustang III

I recently bought this kit in a hobby shop near work as I really like aircraft in national colours other than the country they were built in. I'm planning to build the version with the malcolm hood.

The built is out of the box apart from a set of Montex masks and the Eduard photoetch set for the P-51B Mustang.

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_box.jpg

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_box_conte

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_fuselage_

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_instrumen

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_cockpit_s

So far I've made good progress on the interior, once I add the photoetch seatbelts and finish some of the detail around the radio compartment then it will be time to seal up the fuselage. It will have to wait however until I get back from my holidays. Looking forward to adding the RAF colours to it when I get back!

• Like 6

Re you going to do some weathering ? Cockpit looks nice for my, but i think it will look much better when you do some chipping with the silver paint.

Absolutely, I plan to give it a wash and as you suggest add some silver chipping with my silver pencil. The build is at an early stage and I expect a few hours away from getting to the stage of closing the fuselage up.

It will have to wait a few weeks though as I'm off on my holidays today!

Absolutely, I plan to give it a wash and as you suggest add some silver chipping with my silver pencil. The build is at an early stage and I expect a few hours away from getting to the stage of closing the fuselage up.

It will have to wait a few weeks though as I'm off on my holidays today!

Ok, have a nice Holiday !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quite a lot of work completed on the Mustang since getting back from my holidays, so far no major problems with it and I'm pretty pleased with the aftermarket stuff (Eduard).

Firstly I finished the cockpit:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_cockpit_f

Then I clamped the fuselage together and overall I thought the fit was good:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_cockpit_i

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_seat_deta

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_cockpit_a

After fitting and masking the canopy I applied a coat of the interior colour. I probably would have built the model with the canopy open, but if you use the malcolm hood you would have to cut the hood from the windscreen and I decided against it.

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_interior_

Next I painted the undercarriage bays:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_undercarr

Next up was the wingtip lights done with Tamiya clear colours:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_wingtip_l

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_nose_in_p

I painted the propeller blades and the exhausts (using the AK True Metal paint in a tube). I also drilled out the exhausts which mostly went well! I also drilled out the wing guns:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_propellor

I applied the first coat of paint to the undersides and yesterday masked it up with Tamiya tape and blu tac and I hope to get the rest of the main paint job done tomorrow:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_blu-tac_m

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_masking_u

• Like 2

Nice work so far. I also have this kit. Hopefully I can build it to look ok without the photoetch. I do plan on scratchbuilding a few details. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, Bob H.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, it's a nice kit and I agree that straight out of the box it would still be great. Here and there I've used the included parts and left off the photoetch, but as I think I have a bad case of AMS I do like the aftermarket stuff!

Yesterday was a productive day, starting with getting the second and third main colours on. I'm using Tamiya acrylics airbrushed on, thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. All went on well, although the left side of the engine cowling was meant to be gray, not green, but rather than remask and redo that bit I blended it in with the rest of the green on the assumption that their might have been some variation between aircraft (possibly not though! I heard that RAF planes were painted according to a standard template? In which case I'm putting it down to modellers license!):

I finished the flaps as well, but I didn't quite get the green to line up with the markings on the wing unfortunately!

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_flaps%20p

The blu tack came away pretty neatly, but it does seem to leave a bit of a mark (which also does seem to be hidden by a gloss coat, so not a big problem). I've heard white tac is better in this regard, so I bought some in Eason's (the Irish equivalent of WH Smith) this afternoon for use on the next project):

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_primary_p

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_primary_p

The propeller is all together now with the decals on, awaiting a clear coat then weathering. I'm really disappointed with the Tamiya decals as they are very thick and the carrier film is very visible. I used lots of Mr Setter then Mr Softer, and hopefully a clear coat will help, but compared to the aftermarket decals I've used on my previous two projects the Tamiya OOB decals are no where near as nice. I also applied the tail flashes as well and they haven't settled into the surface detail like I had hoped. I think I'll go with aftermarket decals in future with the other Tamiya kits in the stash.

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_propeller

After the annoyance with the overly thick fin flashes I did not have much hope that the decals for the yellow leading edges would conform, and I was right! Liberal amounts of decal setting/softening fluid did nothing.

Hence I masked everything up and painted them with a spray can of Tamiya Camel yellow over a white primer layer. I sealed the mask first with a clear coat which worked very well in preventing any seepage of yellow paint. The masking plastic sheet didn't do much for the rest of the paint however and as usual there is a bit of the step at the edge of the yellow, so next up I think I'll have to get some very fine grit wet and dry (2000+ grit I'm guessing) and try to feather it all in without ruining the paint! I'll try it first in an inconspicuous area first.

Also you can see that I ended up scraping off the grey tail band decal as it was hopeless. Again too thick, and it split when trying to position it. I've since masked the area off and should have a nice (hopefully) grey band done tomorrow, and again hopefully I can feather it in nicely. Hopefully the remaining decals will play ball this time!

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_leading_e

• Like 2

Thanks for the information about the decals. I will consider an aftermarket set for my kit, either in RAF or the USAAC equivalent. Keep up the good work. Bob H.

• Like 1

Yesterday I went to work with some micro finishing pads and wet sanded some of the paint that got marked with the masking for the leading edge and the tail band, and I was able to mostly feather in the sprayed on markings too. I gave it a good coat of Tamiya clear from a can and now she is ready for decaling. The thick Tamiya decals on the fin eventually settled down and conformed to the tail, but I think they still look too thick. Luckily I managed to find an Aeromaster set for the RAF Mustang (very similar to the kit decals) from a seller in the Netherlands and it's now in the post to me (it was the last one in stock).

AeroMaster_48-212_Instructions1.jpg

I plan to use the 2nd scheme here. In the meantime I'll build the undercarriage and I might paint up a pilot figure as well from a Hasegawa set I have.

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_front_qua

The prop need weathering which should be fun, but the two bombs (which I added the supplied Eduard photoetch fins to) I might actually leave off the plane, as I think it will look nicer "clean". I can always use them for another project.

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_front_qua

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_rear_quar

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_rear_quar

• Like 2

Thanks Bob! Hopefully the aftermarket decals won't take too long to arrive, so with any luck I'll have them next week and then be able to finish the model. Apart from the decals then the final weathering, I have to build up the undercarriage, paint the inside of the undercarriage doors, and weather the propeller. Then it should be done. It's the first WWII/propeller aircraft I've done, to date I've been a jet builder, so it's been a learning experience. I've many more prop jobs in the stash so it won't be the last!

• 2 weeks later...

The new decals arrived last week and went on beautifully (apart from one roundel on the rear fuselage which got a bit messed up when I stupidly put my thumb on it by accident, I mostly managed to rescue it!).

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_with_afte

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_Aeromaste

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_decals_fi

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_decals_fi

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_underwing

Next up is weathering which I'm very much looking forward to!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the Mustang yesterday, and overall pretty happy with it. Here are the last WIP photos:

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_above_rea

The undercarriage was the last job, I used the kits own parts with extra detailing with Eduard photoetch and some wire to represent brake lines. I also used some bright aluminium tape for the oleo's on the undercarriage and I later dusted the Eduard Brassin resin wheels with Mig airfield dust which looks great.

North_American_RAF_Mustang_III_radiator_

For the radiator hood I added a small piece of Evergreen rod to represent the linkage which opens and closes the real thing. I tried the AK metal paste paint in this area and it looks rough. It's good for small detail, but I think I'll stick with other paints in future.