Airfix surprises of the day: 1/72nd - RAF BE2c & Fokker E.II/E.III

Homebee

Source: https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270.112940.65102591270/10153381914296271/?type=1&theater

47802_10151500765491271_920570117_n.jpg?

Who's in the mood for a little surprise? Tune in to our new blog Workbench tomorrow and you won't be disappointed!

11709223_10153381914296271_6339448692664

How about this for a sneaky #WorkspaceWednesday from our design team?! What could it be?

(...)

11542103_10153379132746271_6200587551757

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

They are fairly small, based on their size compared to the paint pots. I'm trying to work out the types based on the shadows. Look at the wing plan of the a/c on the left - I don't recognize that from anything Airfix has released. The one on the right might be the Camel.

The 4 blade prop /aspect ratios and what looks like the shadow of a vertical exhaust make me think RE8, the one on the right has a similar aspect ratio to a camel and the port horizontal staab outline kind of backs this up.... Not a dogfight double though and i wouldnt have thought 2 1/72 reissues of 2 poor by todays standard kits that are probably older than i am is exciting news.?

I think the idea of a BE2c and Fokker EIII could be right. The shape of the wings and the four bladed prop and exposed engine would be right for a BE2c. With the Somme anniversary coming up next year it would fit. it will be interesting to see how they deal with putting the wings together by a method that will not put the more casual modeller of doing a biplane.

Martin T, if biplanes are involved, I would hope Airfix uses the jig system it employed for the Swordfish kits the other year. The small sprue links used on the Tiger Moth kits are fine in theory, but are a mess to cut and clean up in my experience.

The shadow of the nose on the left could imply the RE8 - the very stubby nose of the right one could suggest the Camel or indeed the Fokker Triplane, though the overall size would discount that. I didn't have the Halberstadt, could that be appropriately shaped? Assuming we are correct in assuming a.) WW1 and b.) a dogfight double using older kits (or at least the same subjects).

Edited by Graham Boak

I think the idea of a BE2c and Fokker EIII could be right. The shape of the wings and the four bladed prop and exposed engine would be right for a BE2c. With the Somme anniversary coming up next year it would fit. it will be interesting to see how they deal with putting the wings together by a method that will not put the more casual modeller of doing a biplane.

The wing tip shape of the model on the left, as defined by its shadow, definitely fits a BE2c and the horizontal stabiliser looks right too. The shadow of the kit on the right gives fewer clues, but an E.III would not be inconsistent. If these guesses are correct, it could definitely signal a good new direction for Airfix.

Left is some 48th scale biplane, on the right it must be the BoB 72nd scale Hurricane we've been waiting for!

This is my hope as well.

For me doesn't matter. Someone at Hornby is using their head and turned Airfix from a zero and a joke to a hero everyone is now talking about. Who ever this person or persons are they should be proud what they have accomplished so far and made Airfix profitable to boot! Bravo :goodjob::yahoo::thumbsup:

Edited by hacker
  • Like 12

Looks like WW1 types in outline?? Didn't think Airfix had any of these in their future release line up?? I'm waiting (im) patiently for the Beaufighter :banghead:

• Like 1