Roden 1/144 Bristol Britannia

26Decals

Nose to tail is 26.5cm.

That makes it a 300 series, well a couple of mm longer than a 300 : 100 series was 114 feet long and the 300 had a 10'3" extension, so 124'3" in 1/144 scale should be 25.8 mm.

I'm not going to lose sleep over the slight difference, someone else may throw theirs in the bin over such things but I'm definitely getting a few more, especially since there's some really nice decals being released by a certain aftermarket producer...

And it is as you say a nice tidy kit.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 3

Already have the decals in the works and the sheet will also include XX367 of A&AEE :)

Is the right answer! :speak_cool:

Martin

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that the RAF Britannia C1 & C2's were the same length as the Series 300 (124' 3"). It was the Series 100 that was shorter.

HTH

Rich

I'm pretty sure that the RAF Britannia C1 & C2's were the same length as the Series 300 (124' 3"). It was the Series 100 that was shorter.

HTH

Rich

Thanks Rich,

It does appear that's the case, I always believed the RAF machines had a shorter fuselage, but I remembered after posting that I had Owen Thetford's 'Aircraft of the RAF since 1918' somewhere, managed to find it & it also gave that fuselage length. Been a fair while since I looked something up in a book rather than online!

Cheers

Keith

Big difference on the RAF aircraft is the main deck freight door, but I'm not sure if they all had it. It could be that only the C. 1s did, but I can't reach my Thetford just now.

Yes all the RAF Britannias had the freight door, the C.2s however were configured for VIP pax usually. Fuselage length for the 253 (RAF) and 300 series was the same.

I had a look at one of these kits in my local model shop and on opening the box I thought immediately it was a 100 series as the fuselage forward of the wing looked too short, so am surprised to read it is supposed to be a 300 series.

I compared the kit with my Welsh Models Britannia C1, it was about 5mm longer in the fuselage than the vacform parts but matched the scale drawings that come with the Welsh Models kit perfectly so I guess that both kits have been derived from the same original scale plans. The windows are noticeably bigger than the vacform's. Tail planes match and the wing are close, a bit longer at the tip were it upturns on Roden's kit. The Roden kits only has engraved panel lines for the ailerons whereas the vacform has them sculpted, I've not found any clear photo's as to which is more correct.

The decals are meh, not very sharp and my had been slightly damaged. The was an supplementary sheet offering slightly different shaped decal for the flash around the nose, looks like the originals were a bit too large. I'm not fussed as I shall be building it as C1 and cook my own decals.

Edited by JamesP

My decals arrived almost perfect - well printed and glossy: accuracy? Well, I've just bought a load of aftermarket decals, so won't be building BOAC planes just yet (holding out for Caledonian, African Safari (with zebra tail), Ghana Airways and Air Spain...hint..hint ^). Like i wrote, I'll buy a few more because it's a good replica of the real aircraft and it's nicely made. The only difficulty I had was with the exhaust covers, but a few minutes work soon rectified that.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

My decals arrived almost perfect - well printed and glossy: accuracy? Well, I've just bought a load of aftermarket decals, so won't be building BOAC planes just yet (holding out for Caledonian, African Safari (with zebra tail), Ghana Airways and Air Spain...hint..hint ^). Like i wrote, I'll buy a few more because it's a good replica of the real aircraft and it's nicely made. The only difficulty I had was with the exhaust covers, but a few minutes work soon rectified that.

Jeff

African Safari is now ready :)

• Like 1

.....I said stuff.....(holding out for Caledonian, African Safari (with zebra tail), Ghana Airways and Air Spain...hint..hint ^).....then I said more stuff.........

Jeff

Thanks Ray Edited by pinky coffeeboat

I went looking for a Supermarine Swift yesterday and came out of the model shop with this kit instead. It looks great and gives an opportunity for a bit of scratchbuilding too (cockpit).

All the best, Ray

• 3 weeks later...

The Brit C 2 was a series 252 and no freight door C 1s were 253s both had the same fuse length as the 300 . I worked on the 22 Brits of 99 and 511 Sqns 72-73,they recieved 23 but one crashed years before I got on them. The C2s didn't do freight . The cabin fit had fixed bulkheads foward the wingbox, 2 toilets port and stbd. No freight door.

Another point about the kit decals. Although the model is of a 300 the aircraft on the decal sheet (G-ANBE) was a 100!

Very true and a bit of a silly mistake by Roden.

The decal issue was corrected quite quickly - note my additional comments from the review

"I have received a follow up regarding the issue of the decal markings, in that Pocketbond took the case up with Roden who have subsequently issued new and correct decals for this kit. This replacement set is for G-AOVB which is a Britannia 312.

Roden_312_Britannia_sprue_8b_new_decals_

The team at Pocketbond are to be commended for taking the case up on behalf of our modelling community; and a well-deserved THANK YOU to Roden :clap2: for their prompt action to correct the problem.

Roden has issued these new decals in their next batch of boxes; plus they have sent replacement sets to Pocketbond, who in turn have distributed them to the retail outlets who took the first batch of stock.

If you have already bought the kit with the incorrect decals, then I understand you can get a replacement set from whomsoever you bought your kit from. Note - you will need the original receipt or proof of purchase for this.

Mike"

logo.jpgUK Distributors for logo.jpg

• Like 3