Mercedes 500K-AK Cabriolet (Pocher)

Nice work Keith. I'm sure that you've noticed the father along you go, how the length and weight starts to make things a bit unwieldy. Think about what a pain it would have been to wait and start fitting the body after most of the rolling chassis was done. It would have been a shame to ruin all your great work wrestling with body parts at the end. One tip on the exhaust system though; don't finish it all the way out to the tail pipes yet. You will inevitably break the tail pipe brackets off the frame. Save those for close to the end and maybe even get a pair of brass ones from MMC. I've broken and repaired mine twice already and then I finally bought the MMC pieces and I'm waiting till the end to install most of the muffler system.

• Like 1

Nice work Keith. I'm sure that you've noticed the father along you go, how the length and weight starts to make things a bit unwieldy. Think about what a pain it would have been to wait and start fitting the body after most of the rolling chassis was done. It would have been a shame to ruin all your great work wrestling with body parts at the end. One tip on the exhaust system though; don't finish it all the way out to the tail pipes yet. You will inevitably break the tail pipe brackets off the frame. Save those for close to the end and maybe even get a pair of brass ones from MMC. I've broken and repaired mine twice already and then I finally bought the MMC pieces and I'm waiting till the end to install most of the muffler system.

Thanks for looking in Wayne,

I wanted to get the build of the exhaust system out of the way now before the firewall, engine and gearbox go in exactly for the reasons you have mentioned, I have the MMC exhaust brackets already and they are very nice indeed.

Wise words indeed about the installation of the exhaust at the end as it does look like it will be very vulnerable.

I am very glad I paid attention to your warnings about the body fitting before I went ahead with the paint and assembly of the chassis, thank you.

Best Regards

Keith.

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

As I have had a little time to work on this again this week, here is another update for you.

First up we have the Exhaust parts, this system has quite a few parts and in true Pocher style, the moulding and fit is pretty terrible, all of the seams were scraped and sanded, then the silencers were joined with screws and glue. the mould defects and screw holes were then filled and sanded. the join lines were tricky to fill and sand so I cut out styrene panels to cover these over.
The adaptors that join the pipes to the silencers have not been glued, to allow for test fitting at the next stage.

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

Here is a mock up of the complete assembly.

IMG_5282.jpg

The Pocher supplied Exhaust mounting brackets are moulded plastic and do not look so good. As these will be seen at the rear of the vehicle, I opted for the MMC replacements

IMG_5287.jpg

The MMC replacements are superb cast in bronze and polished.

IMG_5288.jpg

Also this week I have prepared all of the brake shoes for the hubs, these have been cleaned of mould lines and then primed.
As you can see the detail is quite good, although these will be hidden once the hubs are installed.

IMG_5293.jpg

Lastly this week I have test fitted the Prop shaft parts, these now need priming and painting also once taken part again.

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening Gentlemen,

Here is another small update for you.

I have now painted and assembled the brake hubs for the front and rear axles.

IMG_5299_1.jpg

I have also painted the Brake shoes.

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

These parts will now be stored away until the Chassis work is complete as these items are one of the last to be fitted.

I have also started painting the exhaust (with primer) and started the assembly of the Firewall parts. More on this soon.

Best Regards

Keith

Keith, I really like the color on the brake shoe lining, what did you use to get that effect? That was one area that I wish I had done a better job on. However, I figured the wheels were going to be on and they aren't real easy to just pop on and off so, I didn't dwell on it. Good job!

I'll say again Keith; this is a museum chassis model. Please buy another kit to build the complete car and display next to this chassis..

Just don't tell your wife I suggested that..................... :chair:

Thanks very much Codger, that is a very good idea. I won't tell her that you suggested it :winkgrin:

Best regards

Keith.

Keith, I really like the color on the brake shoe lining, what did you use to get that effect? That was one area that I wish I had done a better job on. However, I figured the wheels were going to be on and they aren't real easy to just pop on and off so, I didn't dwell on it. Good job!

Thanks very much Wayne,

The Brake Linings were painted using Vallejo Model colour 70837 pale sand, then I used small piece of sponge to "dab" on Model colour German Camouflage medium brown 70826 to get the mottled effect. once this was dry I gave the surface a coat of a sepia wash.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to have to steal, err borrow your colors, and redo my brake lining and tone down the metal shoes on mine. I agree with Codger regarding the detail on the rolling chassis being good enough to be a stand alone model. It seems to be that, once you spend so much time on detailing the frame that, you then cover it all up with a body. Then, that puts pressure on you to have do as much or more to the body and interior so, it lives up to what went before. Take lots of pictures of what lies beneath so when its covered up you can show your friends its more than just a pretty face.

• Like 1

Keith,

The key to building a second car complete is to delete unseen assemblies. Like the guts of the engine, the brakes and so forth. You've enjoyed those already and can turn your talents to the coach and interior and the overall 'look' you envision.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to have to steal, err borrow your colors, and redo my brake lining and tone down the metal shoes on mine. I agree with Codger regarding the detail on the rolling chassis being good enough to be a stand alone model. It seems to be that, once you spend so much time on detailing the frame that, you then cover it all up with a body. Then, that puts pressure on you to have do as much or more to the body and interior so, it lives up to what went before. Take lots of pictures of what lies beneath so when its covered up you can show your friends its more than just a pretty face.

Keith,

The key to building a second car complete is to delete unseen assemblies. Like the guts of the engine, the brakes and so forth. You've enjoyed those already and can turn your talents to the coach and interior and the overall 'look' you envision.

Of Course Wayne, thats fine, I don't mind at all if you adapt my methods for your own models.

Gentlemen,

The details on the chassis of the Mercedes are very good I have to agree, but don't you think it is a shame to only half build such a kit?

These kits have so much to give after all if you put the time in (as we all know).

Best Regards

Keith,

I was more or less musing about my last few months and how hard it's been to get the body right and up to the chassis detail level. Don't pay any attention to us, we tend to get carried away. In my case I can't seem to leave well enough alone.

That's 3 of us...

I was more or less musing about my last few months and how hard it's been to get the body right and up to the chassis detail level. Don't pay any attention to us, we tend to get carried away. In my case I can't seem to leave well enough alone.

That's 3 of us...

Too true.

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening Gents,

Here is the next up date for you.

First of all the first parts of the exhaust system have now been installed, I may add some more weathering to these at a later date.

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

The aftermarket rear exhaust brackets have been fitted.

IMG_5318.jpg

The Steering Arm parts have been installed and set up roughly, I will better be able to set the camber once the wheels have been built and installed.

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

I think that I am nearly ready now for the engine and gearbox to go in.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

Here is a little bit more for you,

This is the Firewall, it has been painted using BMW Sparkling graphite, then clear coat applied in four coats. the chrome areas were added using C1 metalizer powders, then polished to the finish you see here.
this still requires a lot of detail added to it which the bulk will be done once installed to the chassis.

IMG_5322.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

More soon,

Best Regards

Keith.

Nice to see you sweat the details. That's a lot of finish on 'just' a firewall. Most guys will not put that much effort into the body's finish! This will look like a 100 point restoration when done Keith.

• Like 1

Just a little tip, you might want to get as much of the copper piping on the firewall as you can before you mount it and the engine in place. I didn't and it was about three times more difficult to get the pipe in place and make decent bends; unless you have two extra hands.

Nice to see you sweat the details. That's a lot of finish on 'just' a firewall. Most guys will not put that much effort into the body's finish! This will look like a 100 point restoration when done Keith.

Thanks very much Mr C, I just feel I should make as much as I can of these kits due to the time and money required to achieve a decent model, as you yourself know for sure.

Just a little tip, you might want to get as much of the copper piping on the firewall as you can before you mount it and the engine in place. I didn't and it was about three times more difficult to get the pipe in place and make decent bends; unless you have two extra hands.

Thanks Wayne, I am just looking at that now, planning the best way to get the wiring and pipe work installed.

Best Regards

Keith

That C1 metalizer looks incredible. It really looks like metal.

Rich, yes it really is a good product and once polished it does not rub off, I also used it on the rocker cover on this build.

You can vary the shade you want by changing the base colour too. For a really nice chrome effect I have found a high gloss navy blue is best, as you don't seem to get the black shadows that you get when gloss black is used.

Best Regards

Keith.

Edited by Mpfiend

Thanks Wayne, I am just looking at that now, planning the best way to get the wiring and pipe work installed.

Best Regards

Keith

Keith, consider solder in various diameters for piping on the firewall such as brake or vacuum lines. Bends so easily can be shined or distressed. Much of mine done that way. If you used brass wire or tube, anneal for more flexibility.