Mercedes 500K-AK Cabriolet (Pocher)

It's always worth the wait for your updates. I can say you've done a lot. Paint that good doesn't just squirt out of the can.

Superb combination with the upholstery. Keith you've created a 'sleeper' build; stunningly good without a lot of verbose hoopla like a certain RR builder I know. Just beautiful. Worthy of the Ralph Lauren Collection if it were 1:1.

Is it fair to say that color is in the 'gunmetal' family? I ask because we never know what these computer screens give us. And what brand of lacquer is that?

• Like 1

Just as Mr C said....that paintwork is stunning!

Going against the grain here tho....preferred the previous shade of carpet....but can see why you went with the darker shade having seen the coachwork.

No offence meant.

Ron

10 hours ago, Codger said:

It's always worth the wait for your updates. I can say you've done a lot. Paint that good doesn't just squirt out of the can.

Superb combination with the upholstery. Keith you've created a 'sleeper' build; stunningly good without a lot of verbose hoopla like a certain RR builder I know. Just beautiful. Worthy of the Ralph Lauren Collection if it were 1:1.

Is it fair to say that color is in the 'gunmetal' family? I ask because we never know what these computer screens give us. And what brand of lacquer is that?

Thanks very much for the generous words MrC. 

The colour is Audi Dakota grey and both this and the clear coat came from Halfords in the UK (Mr Roymattblack's go to paint store). It is a sort of gunmetal. The photos of the body (looking at them on my monitor) are actually very close to the original colour. 

Regards

Keith. 

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

Just as Mr C said....that paintwork is stunning!

Going against the grain here tho....preferred the previous shade of carpet....but can see why you went with the darker shade having seen the coachwork.

No offence meant.

Ron

Thanks very much Ron

the original "Carpet" was not really very nice very rough and didn't really pass for a high end luxury car. So I decided to change the material and the colour. No offence taken. 

Regards

Keith

6 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Amazing paint, Keith, and I do love this metallic grey ^_^

Thanks very much Thierry 

Regards,

Keith

• Like 1

9 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

Beautiful work Keith! I'm getting inspiration to finish mine. It just goes to show that patience pays off with these Pochers; slow and steady is what's required for results like this! I'm impressed.

Thanks very much Wayne.

These Pocher Mercedes builds are definitely a long road and patience is required with every step. I'm about to start working on the Convertible top soon and I'm dreading it!

Look forward to seeing some more from your build soon.

Best Regards

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Here is another update for you.
First of all, some pre-assembly was done of the folding hood frame and the windscreen parts, as you can see the frame is no where near finished, but I needed to install it so that I can make the fabric part of the hood.

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

Next up the fabric for the centre part of the hood was prepared, the triangles of masking tape with numbers on are there to show the amount of overlap for side pieces.

IMG_5627.jpg

Next the side pieces were prepared and then glued to the centre piece using the guides already positioned. 
More on this soon.

IMG_5628.jpg

I have now also installed the floor and seats, hopefully for the last time.

IMG_5634.jpg

A small gaiter has been made for the gear shift from the seat leather.

IMG_5635.jpg

Lastly a motivational shot for me really of the body just loosely placed on the chassis.

IMG_5637.jpg

More soon,

Best Regards

Keith

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pouln said:

Looking great, Keith. I really like the colour combinations.

Thanks very much Poul, I'm very pleased with how it is looking so far. 

I think gathering the coloured parts together with a paint sample to help decide before painting the actual project really helps with paint colour choices.

Best Regards

Keith

Good day Gentlemen,
Another update for you.

I have now painted the metal trim on the body in preparation of the first stages of fitting the convertible roof.

Masking.

IMG_5639.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5643.jpg

The trims were painted with Alclad Airframe aluminium straight over the finished body colour, this was done so as not to produce a really high chrome finish.

IMG_5642.jpg

The masking removed after a coat of Aqua Gloss to protect the Alclad paint.

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

More soon.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 3

Meticulous work Keith, especially on perfectly finished paint! I understand your choice for a distressed finish rather than near-chrome. However I'd have tried brass strips, chromed, were it mine. If too difficult, I'd have enlisted Cox to fabricate a set like my running board strips. Your finish and whole presentation is THAT good that it warrants the extra mile(s).

But this will not detract in the slightest from a magnificent Benz you've fashioned.

7 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Hi Keith

Is there a reason to have used Alclad Airframe alu rather than Alclad Chrome ? oe either Bare Metal Fol Chrome ?

Thank you.

I decided I didn't want a full chrome finish on these parts as I think it may draw the eye too much.

I'm not keen on using bare metal foil on these large scale builds as I feel it does not always give a realistic finish.

Regards

Keith.

3 hours ago, Codger said:

Meticulous work Keith, especially on perfectly finished paint! I understand your choice for a distressed finish rather than near-chrome. However I'd have tried brass strips, chromed, were it mine. If too difficult, I'd have enlisted Cox to fabricate a set like my running board strips. Your finish and whole presentation is THAT good that it warrants the extra mile(s).

But this will not detract in the slightest from a magnificent Benz you've fashioned.

Thanks very much MrC,

Yes that was an option, but I decided to paint the metal trims instead to reproduce a brushed type finish.

best regards

Keith.

Nice work Keith....a brave move to mask and paint on such superb coachwork....a great result.

Personally....I don't like or use Alclad....far too 'fragile in it's handling properties....but respect your choice.

Regards

Ron

• Like 1

Unfortunately, deciding on what to do with the running board strips is something that needs to be decided very early on so that the molded ones can be sanded off and holes drilled for ones like yours and before any painting is done. I was way past that point and really never thought of it until Codger had his done and it was too late. A lot of the detail stuff really needs to be thought about before anything is done. These are quite the thinking man's kit. This is really looking beautiful Keith!

• Like 1

Luckily no damage to the paintjob. Well executed. It looks really well, however I too would have made it a bit more chrome like.

So what are you going to do to protect the alu strips?

• Like 1

I just went back and looked at your masking and paint of the trim. I also used the same Airframe aluminum on the tail lights after drilling them out for the lighting wiring. This is what I thought about doing for the running board strips. I think it's probably closer to the real nickel plating 

Edited by larchiefeng
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Pouln said:

Luckily no damage to the paintjob. Well executed. It looks really well, however I too would have made it a bit more chrome like.

So what are you going to do to protect the alu strips?

Thanks Poul, the Alclad is protected with Aqua gloss. It can be seen in the photo above next to the paint.

best regards

Keith.