Mercedes 500K-AK Cabriolet (Pocher)

Wayne, Ron,

Thanks very much Gents.

Ron, I find that the Alclad paints are ok if protected with the Aqua gloss, although on the high shine paints the finish is dulled some what when the gloss is applied.

Wayne thanks very much, the finish is very close to the original nickel when seen "in the flesh" so to speak.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is good news, I really like what you're doing with this build and I kind of miss seeing it. As you know, I have a bit of a soft spot for the Mercedes! I still have a K82 that I intend to build down the road. I'm looking forward to seeing your update.

• Like 1

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your continued interest in this build.
As promised here is the next update.

First of all we had another delivery from Marvin at Model motorcars.

Some very nice landau bars for the hood.

IMG_5660.jpg

Some identification plates and other decals.

IMG_5661.jpg

Window winders and various other handles for the doors (not shown here)

IMG_5663.jpg

Finally an upgrade kit for the exhaust down pipes.

IMG_5666.jpg

Next we come back to the hood, once all the parts had been aligned and glued I took it to a seamstress to bee sewn together, she made a lovely job of it and the stitch does not look too out of scale.

IMG_5653.jpg

The next job was to fix it to the frame that secures it to the car, this was very awkward as it had to be completed without causing any wrinkles or doubling up of the fabric.

IMG_5655.jpg

With this completed it could be fixed to the body.

IMG_5671.jpg

Next up, I painted the side light and the bars on the running boards using alclad, to match the trim painted previously.

IMG_5668.jpg

The engine cover catches were also built and fitted at this time.

IMG_5670.jpg

Finally here is how the car looks at the moment, the hood is just stowed out of the way for now as some more fitting is required once the body and fenders are secured permanently.

IMG_5675.jpg

Hope fully I'll have some more for you soon.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 2

I'd forgotten how good this car looks with the color combinations that you have. It was a great idea to have the top stitched and made up that way; the material that is supplied by Pocher isn't the best and this way it looks much better! 

I see that you might have made the same mistake as I did in thinking that, the ID plates are decals. Mine were not; they are photos and would have to be cut out and glued on the firewall. I wound up scanning the the whole sheet into my computer and reprinted it on decal paper so I could have decals that would lay flat.

The other thing that, I really had difficulties with is, the flexibility of the exhaust pipes. I was pretty unhappy with the stiffness especially with the rod inside and trying to make the tight bends. I hope that you have better luck with these than I did.

Well worth the wait Keith! I'm short of superlatives but I'll try; that hood is spectacular on a 1/8 model. Brilliant design and execution. Beyond that the MMC parts look good and I hope are not problematic - Wayne had some issues with grille and pipes.

Overall, the color choices are both sophisticated and very smart. I am in envy! The car has a smashing visual presentation. Keep the work coming please; it's a treat to see. This will be wonderful to see every day in your display case.

Congrats!

22 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

I'd forgotten how good this car looks with the color combinations that you have. It was a great idea to have the top stitched and made up that way; the material that is supplied by Pocher isn't the best and this way it looks much better! 

I see that you might have made the same mistake as I did in thinking that, the ID plates are decals. Mine were not; they are photos and would have to be cut out and glued on the firewall. I wound up scanning the the whole sheet into my computer and reprinted it on decal paper so I could have decals that would lay flat.

The other thing that, I really had difficulties with is, the flexibility of the exhaust pipes. I was pretty unhappy with the stiffness especially with the rod inside and trying to make the tight bends. I hope that you have better luck with these than I did.

Thanks very much Wayne,

I had the top stitched to make it stronger, I had visions of the glue failing after a few months/years and it all falling to bits.

I did know that the ID plates were not actual decals, it was a bad choice of words on my part. I may have to do something similar to that also as they seem very thick.

The flexibility of the exhaust pies seems much better than the original part, so I am hoping to get a satisfactory result.

Best Regards

Keith.

22 hours ago, Codger said:

Well worth the wait Keith! I'm short of superlatives but I'll try; that hood is spectacular on a 1/8 model. Brilliant design and execution. Beyond that the MMC parts look good and I hope are not problematic - Wayne had some issues with grille and pipes.

Overall, the color choices are both sophisticated and very smart. I am in envy! The car has a smashing visual presentation. Keep the work coming please; it's a treat to see. This will be wonderful to see every day in your display case.

Congrats!

Thanks very much MrC, I can't take any credit for the hood, its all pocher design and assembly was done following the Paul Koo DVD.

The MMC parts are very nice indeed but at a price. hopefully they all behave.

Thank you for the kind words, I'll keep updating as and when progress is made.

Best Regards

Keith.

22 hours ago, Pouln said:

Ditto here. Fantastic work. I simply love the colour scheme and craftsmanship you put on display here

Thanks very much Poul.

21 hours ago, Jnkm13 said:

Absolutely stunning. The paint job has turned out great and lovely choice of colours.

Regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

21 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Perfect mounting, perfect paint job, great attention on details, what a model! Congratulations again...

Thank you for the kind words, I only wish I had your skill and vision in modifying these kits. your Bugatti is a master piece.

Best Regards

Keith.

• 2 months later...

I would really hate to see this thread die because of PB. I'm still looking at alternative ways to add pictures to my threads and last night I used postimage.net that Codger recommended and it was much easier to use than PB. It's a free site and a bit of a risk because of this but, I figured that some pictures are better than nothing right now. I'm thinking of creating my own blog and then linking pictures from it to Britmodeller. It probably won't be free but, at least I can control what happens. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2017 at 10:30 AM, Codger said:

Congrats!

Keith, I am quoting myself here because it reminds me how impressed I was with your work on this at the time. You last posted in July that PB has killed this thread. It is true enough that they ruined all our threads among those who used it, but surely  it did not halt your work.

Please take a picture of the car today and post; we have all easily found suitable alternatives to host our shots. If you have posted updated work please advise where it is as I must have missed it.

The same is true of the other classic Pochers in the works at the time of disruption, by Kennerly, Poul and others.

Gentlemen, please bring back the Pocher classics you had in progress. Surely Wayne Boutsas and I can't be the only ones to have completed a classic project. You work is sorely missed...

C

• Thanks 1