Lead Sled Morris CS815cwt, a Pak37 and 13 Fallschirmjager

I am still on with the Mat and waiting for some of Dan's sponges to turn up so I can weather it. In the meantime, I found this photo one drunken night

IMG_6987_zpstpsijpiz.jpg

Fag, brown jump boots. Pistol and tin lid on. How Uber Ally is that lad on the right? Crete. the truck is captured. Note the Arabic on the VRN. Not sure if the Brits brought it over or the Germans, but in the hands of the Fallschirmjager it was.

It had to be done.

FullSizeRender%201_zpssqstdqvm.jpg

It didn't take me long to find the Morris. A quick google and Bobs. 70 odd sheets later and not a single photo of this model on line, the risk was taken and it was ordered.

It came

IMG_7009_zpsoaz8lzog.jpg

IMG_7010_zpsgioxqaj5.jpg

mid 90's resin and white metal, out of the DJ Parkins stable. Its simple and really nice.

FullSizeRender%201_zpssqstdqvm.jpg

The Pak came from Waltbay as did the etch, but the little lads. They took a bit of finding. It transpires this scene was available in the mid 90s as a boxed set. the littel lads were done by a German lad called Ulrich Puchala who I tracked down on the hinterweb. 158 Euros later (I wish I was buying now......................), 13 lads turned up. Two are missing which is the driver and the passenger, but the others he still had. The last set. I also got brass vrn plates withe the Arabic text on. Well chuffed

119694-9cca83f22d70d6f678b20a912077164c.

119692-1bc509c2c1403ce9ca680d5e539743cb_

balkanfeldzug_zpsiyqcexb8.jpg

3782179681_7f21e473bd_z_zpsjyeo8pke.jpg

Narvik_zpsy1tsxmp3.jpg

IMG_7155_zps43l91v0v.jpg

IMG_7154_zpsespemrti.jpg

its going together pretty quickly

IMG_7170_zps30sizobt.jpg

IMG_7171_zpsndbe6fiq.jpg

IMG_7148_zpsqpbo4mlm.jpg

its a nice little wagon

IMG_7228_zpsu22vc4pu.jpg

IMG_7229_zps023ai1kp.jpg

IMG_7230_zpse5d2j9g3.jpg

IMG_7231_zpsivivznnr.jpg

IMG_7242_zpsf41uddbe.jpg

IMG_7241_zps65ep4gf5.jpg

IMG_6987_zpstpsijpiz.jpg

• Like 7

This is going to be another riveting build!

One detail about the CS8 that the kit gets wrong is the transverse support for the front mudguards. It passes through the sheet metal rather than being under it. There are loads of images around the net which show how it should look. It's a pain to replicate but it's worth the effort. Also your radiator is sitting a bit high; the top edge should be slightly below the top of the bonnet.

I freely admit to being a Morris perve.

This is going to be another riveting build!

One detail about the CS8 that the kit gets wrong is the transverse support for the front mudguards. It passes through the sheet metal rather than being under it. There are loads of images around the net which show how it should look. It's a pain to replicate but it's worth the effort. Also your radiator is sitting a bit high; the top edge should be slightly below the top of the bonnet.

I freely admit to being a Morris perve.

Its an ace little wagon isn't it? I've done a bit of digging into it and I must say, what a truck!! German's made massive use of them in different roles - I've seen a couple of photos of Morris' adapted for different roles - comms wagon is one. I've got a nice snap of it I may post.

Ta for spotting the rad - I missed that one. Not sure what I can do about the mudguards but will have a decco in a bit.

If you are into them, have you spotted any resin wheels on your travel that will do the job to replace the white metal cast ones? Not sure if you have spotted the tyres but they are pretty narrow - I suspect this model was based on a BEF wagon which will have had narrow tyres on it I guess because of the theatre it went into. The tyres in the photo are either wider or deflated for desert conditions. The bottom line is I need some more suitable resin wheels.

I must say I'm looking forward to knocking this one out. The big win for me was obtaining the Fallschirmjager. A bit of work to do on them, but they are the mutts

They all had 9.00x16 tyres, regardless of where they went. The white metal ones are a bit skinny but Mirror models do a set of 9.00x16 Trak Grips which would be correct for the vehicle. The wheels are plastic but the tyres are vinyl which isn't ideal but they have a good, accurate tread pattern. The wheels are supplied with CMP centres so you'll need to ignore these and scratch-build some Morris hubs , or machine them out of the Lead Sled wheels.

Hannants have them at £7.50 a set: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MRR35013

I don't like Fallschimjager because they did nasty things to our Manx ack-ack gunners in Crete. On the other hand they were probably right to be a bit peeved because the Manx AA gunners shot down something like 100 of their aircraft during the invasion.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

They all had 9.00x16 tyres, regardless of where they went. The white metal ones are a bit skinny but Mirror models do a set of 9.00x16 Trak Grips which would be correct for the vehicle. The wheels are plastic but the tyres are vinyl which isn't ideal but they have a good, accurate tread pattern. The wheels are supplied with CMP centres so you'll need to ignore these and scratch-build some Morris hubs , or machine them out of the Lead Sled wheels.

I don't like Fallschimjager because they did nasty things to our Manx ack-ack gunners in Crete. On the other hand they were probably right to be a bit peeved because the Manx AA gunners shot down something like 100 of their aircraft during the invasion.

Thank you for that. I will get a set ordered.

I'm just off to out a BBQ up and I'll have another crack at it. 37 degrees today where we are. Hot hot hot!!!

That's a bit hot. Rain here tomoz they reckon. Good old blighty.....

IMG_7258_zpsten2742k.jpg

Now that's better. I've had a look at the fenders and I reckon I can live with it.

Wheels ordered - thanks for the tip Ivor matey!! I'm getting into this WW2 stuff.

• Like 1

started on the Pak

IMG_7318_zpsans7uour.jpg

This edwood stuff is pretty good

IMG_7321_zpsfcu4pzca.jpg

Gun is minute. Deffo a bit of a pea shooter!

IMG_7319_zpsmo1vjxhk.jpg

I'm having a crack with latex moulds for the hubs. We will see how we get on with it tomoz when its gone off

IMG_7322_zpsgdvczyl4.jpg

also knocked out a plastic lad. Bit of a difference in scale/size, and look at the quality of the white metal cast. early/mid 90's. What a boy Ulrich is. Well impressed with his figures. Shame he doesn't do these any more

• Like 1

Right. Found this (too late) or I'd have had one

B35-084_image2_zpsjh9jklzv.jpg

Shame that as it looks well nice.

IMG_7391_zpsps4ga4qv.jpg

This is proper small I can tell you. Had to chop the sight up

FullSizeRenderu_zpsprbo7qtk.jpg

I hope its worth it is all I can say!

IMG_7394_zpswxtwyp4y.jpg

IMG_7395_zpsm9xdtgro.jpg

some nice little touches (as Rolf would say)

FullSizeRenderv_zpsycvltmta.jpg

IMG_7398_zpsdyif9bcd.jpg

IMG_7397_zpsipeiwwty.jpg

I think I'm just about at a stage where the soldering kit is going to have to come out.

• Like 2

I don't want to hijack this thread but the LZ Models 9 x 16 Dunlop Trak Grips shown don't have an accurate tread pattern - this can be clearly seen in some of the posted pictures of actual vehicles. LZ has moulded them such that the raised tread lines up left to right across the tire, but on the real ones the raised tread was offset in sort of a flattened out "S" pattern. I was looking at buying a set to replace the Goodyear 9 x 16's in my IBG Otter. I can't speak to the accuracy of the tread shape of the Goodyear's in the IBG kit, but at least they got the offset correct.

Cheers,

Tom

I don't want to hijack this thread but the LZ Models 9 x 16 Dunlop Trak Grips shown don't have an accurate tread pattern - this can be clearly seen in some of the posted pictures of actual vehicles. LZ has moulded them such that the raised tread lines up left to right across the tire, but on the real ones the raised tread was offset in sort of a flattened out "S" pattern. I was looking at buying a set to replace the Goodyear 9 x 16's in my IBG Otter. I can't speak to the accuracy of the tread shape of the Goodyear's in the IBG kit, but at least they got the offset correct.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello Tom mate,

dont worry about it. Half the fun is having the debate. That said, I'm just off to sit in a hot bath and slit my wrists to hasten the departure...................... Looks like a bit more hunting to do then!!

On that cheery note

IMG_7412_zpsnjmnogwl.jpg

working at home today so grabbed half an hour at lunchtime. Like I said. Proper fiddly.

Right. Off to walk the mutt, then its on the bike, then its back on this. Who knows, she may be back from topless netball by the time I get back!

• Like 1

Hello Tom mate,

dont worry about it. Half the fun is having the debate. That said, I'm just off to sit in a hot bath and slit my wrists to hasten the departure...................... Looks like a bit more hunting to do then!!

How about enjoying the hot bath, but instead of slitting your wrists, take the knife and cut the proper tread pattern in those LZ rubber tyres? There would be a lot less mess, don't you think?

Cheers,

Tom

How about enjoying the hot bath, but instead of slitting your wrists, take the knife and cut the proper tread pattern in those LZ rubber tyres? There would be a lot less mess, don't you think?

Cheers,

Tom

:yahoo: good call batman