Figurine Finished : 1/48 Voisin 10Ca2 (modified Hi-Tech kit)

Thank you !

Hello.

Someone can tell us if the "yellowish varnishes" which seems to cover these engines were applied consistently? I do not remember seeing it on other engines ...

79_zps84b6mmtb.jpg

NASM-A19670070000-NASM2014-02284_zps6xss

Regards

Edited by Louis

• 1 month later...

Hello!

The engine mounting ends slowly ...

The cylinders are bonded in the holes. Missing bolts at the base of the cylinders.

IMG_09255_zpsfsrhbgza.jpg

IMG_09306_zpswkjythum.jpg

Pipes are plastic, the collars are made of "cotton bud" stretched.

IMG_0925_zpsud4wpd4w.jpg

The copper tubing is stretched plastic.

IMG_0995_zpshastx6ap.jpg

24 candles are stretched plastic. I lost a few along the way. I also lost valve springs ...

The vertical rod at the back should be against the last cylinder. Too bad for her.
The aluminum structure is a cylinder on evergreen 1 mm rod with rings of metal tape.

IMG_0998_zpssfbdyhux.jpg

IMG_0997_zpsjj0z9msn.jpg

IMG_0996_zpssgb1nhej.jpg

The engine block is in "white aluminum" Alclad but it shines too. The matt varnish is nothing changed. Cylinders and are skated with him "engine grime" from AK.

Regards.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

More stunning craftsmanship, Louis. That engine is starting to look very lifelike!

Happy New Year to you too!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you!

Hello,

The cabin is closed.
The rivets of the kits are too big (white) ...

IMG_1046_zpstlhcvocw.jpg

I have plugged and sanded. I redid them with "surfacing" and with a stencil. If it does not work I will use rivets decals but it's not cheap ...

IMG_1054_zps73y3h90r.jpg

The stencil used on the flank are thinner and are pierced with a needle in an aluminum foil (food tray). Once pierced I sand a little stencil to remove the bulges around the holes. as the holes have a rounded shape.

IMG_1060_zpsmwyrqip3.jpg

Not sure we see them after painting ...

">IMG_106055_zpslpizefia.jpg

Stencils on the picture (plastic 0.2 mm) are those used in front of the plane, the holes are drilled with a drill 0.3mm. Several passages (7 or 8?) Airbrush are needed to obtain enough rivets marked. As it dries very quickly this is done quickly.
The smoother side of the stencil is brought in contact with the flank of the aircraft.

- The stencil aluminum is easy to clean and reuse the rivet but remains flat.

- The plastic it deforms quickly because the diluent.

- With a transparent stencil it would be easier to position.

- It works much better with a new stencil, clean.

">IMG_1058_zpsldcjdf8m.jpg

A +

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello!

The landing gear are re-cut to size (I hope):

I used the plane of the kit I expanded to the length of the fuselage match that of the kit.

">IMG_zpsd1a2au7j.jpg

">IMG_1058_zpsbvufybdo.jpg

">IMG_1061k_zpszjko7xpd.jpg

The hole for attaching the front landing gear ...

">IMG_1059_zpsl9pi6rbi.jpg

The tanks are detailed. Above the cap. Below, the mouthpiece through which released a pipe, on the side that I think is the gauge. I made a little too large.
Too bad, we will see better.

So there will be in the central disk with a black dial needle and graduations. I just hope to have interpreted the pictures correctly.
If anyone knows more about this ...

">715_zpscfksdeak.jpg

">IMG_1067_zpsxehuiqck.jpg

I found this painting dated 1918:

">713_zpsz6ssszwh.jpg

http://pierrebayle.typepad.com/pensees_sur_la_planete/2014/10/aviateurs-et-guerriers.html

A short video sequence (at the end) of a Voisin X or VIII :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM3bs-searg

There were videos with planes (among others) from the same period:

//www.youtube.com/user/footagefarm/search?query=ww1+plane&nohtml5=False

And there the instruments of edges of the first world war.

http://www.aviation-14-18.fr/aviation-fran%C3%A7aise/instruments-de-bord/]http://www.aviation-14-18.fr/aviation-fran%C3%A7aise/instruments-de-bord/

Regards

Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

The new strut of the tail (1 mm diameter):

IMG_1063_zps0byepy3e.jpg

Vertical upright must all be sanded (a lot) and sometimes recut.

23ee1bdf-008b-413f-871d-1b2d13de3e82_zps

The new windshield is glued.

IMG_1065_zpspcruogct.jpg

The transparent plate used to assemble the windshield with the rest of the pod to form a pretty solid set.

IMG_1064_zpszqmubin0.jpg

On the transparent plate I plan to add the trap made of plastic sheet. That of the photo is a test.

IMG_1066_zpskuqqfhqd.jpg

Regards.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

- The "setting and operating instructions" for Voisin X with a description of the paints applied on aluminum Voisin.

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/france/avions-voisin/type-x/notice-de-reglage-de-demontage-et-d-entretien-d-un-avion-voisin-type-x.html

- A description of the manual describing the camouflage of the Voisin:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19444

Anyone know what a black optical dope and optical red dope (Acellos brand)? A black varnish and a red varnish???

And, since it will rain all the weekend:

An article (in pdf) speaking about cellulose acetate varnish used in aviation ( Acellos brand, Nauton and brothers. Marsac). In french...

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0ahUKEwi_3L7qrLfMAhWMI8AKHezeBrgQFgg4MAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.societechimiquedefrance.fr%2FIMG%2Fpdf%2Fa_3_600_000.vfx2_sav.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHSTUmk6fs_kf5s95mLOTBLFUIlwA&sig2=bTiwBmh6XCyZe4f3yYCReQ&cad=rja

Regards

Thank you.

The upper wing, so long that it bends.

IMG_1066_zpskmlm0wl8.jpg

It was passed to the steel wool and painted with surfacer..

The top of the wings will be painted as specified in the manual.

" The wings:

under surfaces: 1 coat of clear dope (No. 1), 2 coats of optical black dope and 1 finishing coat of clear dope (No. 3); The roundels are painted with paint Ripolin under the lower wing.
Upper surfaces: 1 coat of clear dope (No. 1), 1 coat of optical black dope, 1 coat of red optical dope (a semi translucent color) and 1 finishing coat of clear dope.
No roundels on upper wing, flat tail and rudder, at least on the manual.
Since we do not-have wings for the Voisin 10, I can not tell you what color the upper shoulds looks like, goal It Would be interesting to try it a panel, I'll think about it!"

So:

- A clear coat on the canvas.
- An "optical black" layer (translucent black) so black paint ...
- An "optical red" layer (translucent red), varnish mixed with red.

This gives a chocolate hue ... which obviously changes depending on the proportion of red (on the test picture below: red 1/3 or 1 red varnish / varnish 1). The lighter shade is due to the varnish which "laundered". Darkest are black.

IMG_1072_zpsht2vwbct.jpg

IMG_1070_zpsvglxa45a.jpg

IMG_1068_zpsdcjrzj0j.jpg

Regards

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The top of the wing:

1 X red+ 3 X clear + 12 x
thinner

. At least 5 or 6 layers on the black

IMG_6197_zps6ps5iseh.jpg

The surface is not terrible. the varnish does not help. I will put satin varnish, may be.

Before:

IMG_6214_zps76vhhzop.jpg

The cocardes are made with stencilled. Blue is too clear. The red a bit dark too.

IMG_6199_zpsfxr0trfu.jpg

Regards

Edited by Louis

• 1 month later...
Hello!
Make rivets ( "as" those sold by Archer):

To move and to avoid any destroy for errors I made them on a piece of very thin decal (FFSMC here).
The stencil is attached to a length (top of photo). On the other (bottom) I put a ruler to the stencil is resting on the piece of decal.
Several passages with surfacer mr Hobby ... (9 round trip ...) are required to obtain enough rivets marked.

">IMG_6205_zpsjrm7ibzg.jpg

Stencils on the photo (plastic 0.2 mm) are drilled at 0.3mm drill. The gap between each rivet is 1.5 mm.

We go the full length aero well perpendicular to the stencil. The layer should be smooth so that all rivets have the same height. The smoothest side of the stencil is placed in contact with the piece of decal.

I remove the stencil when finished so they do not stick the stencil:

">IMG_6208_zpshariscbc.jpg

It works much better with a new and clean stencil. As the plastic melts with the solvent not about cleaning. I pumice to remove the surfacer and give a helping drill into each hole. It is more quickly (believe me) than rewriting a stencil. 5min to clean one in the photo.

">IMG_6212_zpsbxtgn7qq.jpg

Regards
  • Like 1

The windshield is finished:

IMG_6192_zpszppkuabr.jpg

IMG_6193_zpsvnihzd1e.jpg
Alas, all glass parts are prominent.

4462523062_1cd3b1b2b9_b_zpsycyr2wvn.jpg

So I cut (in sheets for "overhead projector") and twisted the two glass parts They are then glued to the windshield with glue that hardens under the action of UV.

IMG_6197_zpso9jfqs9k.jpg

The edge of the "bathtub" is stuck:

IMG_6203_zpsypgdop4m.jpg

Regards
Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

I've just played catch-up with this thread, and all I've got to say is :worthy: So much scratch-building at an infinitesimal scale that I couldn't begin to contemplate :clap2: