Figurine Finished : 1/48 Voisin 10Ca2 (modified Hi-Tech kit)

Hello,

I want to make this Voisin since long time ... in fact since I saw the magnificent Voisin from "Cage à poules" here:

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t34885-voisin-10-lar-hi-tech-au-48eme?highlight=voisin

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19848

I searched a long time on the internet, but they are not a lot of information regarding the "Voisin X lar"

So I decided to make a Voisin 10 Ca2 armed with a gun. Now I no longer need to look for photos, they are there:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/Voisin10uk.html

As the manual said, the Hi-Tech kit is not ACCUTAMYGAWA ...

The cockpit must be done:

I deleted the floor to have a flat on and to have well flat walls.

1_zpsnmvoxmwv.jpg

IMG_0688_zpsqpo3mmck.jpg

Hi-Tech has had the good idea to provide "opening" of the cockpit for a version other than that of the box (the bottom part of the picture).

Amounts are cut into sections "evergreen" 0.25 X 0.75 and glued to the stems T

The edge of the cabin and floor profiles are 0.5 X 0.5. and 1x1.

Everything is painted in aluminum and will be skated. I started but I did not used to work the aluminum. I grope ...

IMG_0694_zpsxmiws6nx.jpg

The seat is photoetched part but does not suit me. It is redesigned to resemble that seen in "memorial flight", not forgetting the big cushion. it will add the belts.

IMG_0687_zpsporl4iml.jpg

The dashboard will host the big compass. It will be placed in the hole in "half circle" on the shelf made for the occasion.

IMG_0692_zpsiy8j4xeb.jpg

The steering wheel is redone from the kit by rounding the corners with a round file (in red). It's a bit long to do ...

IMG_0697_zps2h213dfj.jpg

IMG_0699_zpskmeual6k.jpg

IMG_0701_zpsckehql6i.jpg

IMG_0702_zpsefrwyzom.jpg

The two blocks down the handle are those of the kit, the top of the handle toothed wheel is made from a "trap" photoeched of the board of DV eduard (I have no punch to make records so small ..).

IMG_0703_zpsphgzeyjp.jpg

It lacks the chain and cables.

IMG_07151_zpssfr4d70w.jpg

Does anyone know what the purpose of the wooden thing full of holes?

v93_zpsxhyzvqif.jpg

voica10a2rdscf2922_zpsvrpejpvf.jpg

Do the holes allow storing ammunition for the gun ? Much like storage for wine bottles?

Maybe it is a reinforcement to stiffen the structure.

Or protection for hiding cables through the cabin (read on a forum)

The rudder and the handle close to the seat:

IMG_0718_zpsol762hd4.jpg

IMG_0731_zps55ym7wf4.jpg

3 switches on the dashboard, turned on a lathe with one plastic rod (diameter 1mm) and a selector (?) on the left side.

IMG_0721_zpspbdwmro1.jpg

The dual throttle. The circular arc is a piece of lead wire crushed with a ruler on a glass plate.

IMG_0723_zpsbz2kgof8.jpg

The handles are made of plastic.

IMG_0725_zpsg5bgjwgs.jpg

Both sides of the cab are glued and must be abraded copiously...

IMG_0729_zpsxewo4xff.jpg

Some pictures showing the airplane Voisin Ca2 before restoration ( Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace / Memorial Flight).

The aircraft had been modified to fly without the pilot.

1923-1924

IMGm_zpsuo0tvfxc.jpg

5_zpsblb38emb.jpg

IMG1_zpssyxsfewx.jpg

And drawings ....

http://www.techno-science.net/?onglet=news&news=3957

"Le monde illustré avril 1923"

Presse-papier02_zpsuioecipx.jpg

Presse-papier01_zpsryzqzfk4.jpg

Regards
Regards

Edited by Louis
  • Like 9

Looking very nice, I have never heard of this aircraft before and to be honest the real thing does look a little Wallace and Grommit! You have my attention, looking forward to seeing this go together.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Thank you!!!

Looking very nice, I have never heard of this aircraft before and to be honest the real thing does look a little Wallace and Grommit! You have my attention, looking forward to seeing this go together.

Cheers now

Bob

On the left : "Restoration", in english

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/indexuk.html

Regards

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

Sonno Pazzi Questi Romani....you're doing an excellent work here......It's absolutely amazing.

Definitely.....I'm going to stop building models. Tomorrow morning I'll start fishing trouts.

• Like 1

Great work! I have this kit somewhere deep within the stash. I never started it due to lack of reference material so I shall be following what you do here with particular interest.

Martin

The "Thing with all the holes" looks like a cover over a structural member to protect the gunner from snagging himself on it. The holes are there to lighten the cover as much as possible. The ammunition bins are at the sides of the cockpit floor between the holey thing and the rear bulkhead. It also looks as though the gunner could sit on it while aiming the forward gun.

The "Thing with all the holes" looks like a cover over a structural member to protect the gunner from snagging himself on it. The holes are there to lighten the cover as much as possible. The ammunition bins are at the sides of the cockpit floor between the holey thing and the rear bulkhead. It also looks as though the gunner could sit on it while aiming the forward gun.

I think that too.

The wooden cover is the location of the axis of the handle which passes through the fuselage. This aircraft had a cockpit at the front before being moved to the back.

And Storing ammunition is not a good idea ... Especially That There's ammunition boxes are on the sides.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

The windshield is not beautiful, it is full of bubbles and not transparent at all. Its central part is too short and I think I'll have to cut it to enlarge a little.
In addition I split ...

IMG_0802_zpsfnkvqbbn.jpg

In front of the windscreen there are two components that can (for real) open and which are partly transparent. So I just removed to replace with a piece of transparent plastic. It's a little too flat now ... I'll stick can be above the two components to put a little thick.

IMG_0808_zpsogjm54om.jpg

I made a fire extinguisher to put next to the cannon (shot plastic).

IMG_0789_zpsr5jg2d4m.jpg

The engine does not please me. It's a shame it's all there but everything is crooked.

IMG_0794_zpsoitvfohn.jpg

I need a plan ( length width height etc) to built the engine (renault 12fe). If you have one...

I bought a machine gun Hotchkiss M 1914 models directly from GasPatch, delivered in 4 days. I let you judge the pictures the quality of their work:

IMG_0807_zpsf9za65ay.jpg

IMG_0806_zps4oesnhsm.jpg

http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/accessories/

Regards.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 3

Nice work as always Louis. I think you might be better off scratch building a replacement engine though, surely it would be easier than trying to bring that awful kit offering up to snuff.

Martin

Nice work as always Louis. I think you might be better off scratch building a replacement engine though, surely it would be easier than trying to bring that awful kit offering up to snuff.

Martin

Thank you Martin.

I'm agree with you..

- The seat is finished.

IMG_0817_zpseicfy8g5.jpg

- The 47mm gun (Hotchkiss):

evergreen 2.4mm tube.

IMG_0821_zpspvbcuevg.jpg

IMG_0823_zpshyasvfml.jpg

Evergreen 1mm:

IMG_0845_zpsovmdj358.jpg

The breech:

IMG_0843_zpspjfhcfwm.jpg

IMG_0860_zpswzremhha.jpg

Regards

Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The biggest parts of the gun ready to be glued...

IMG_1165_zpsqhv6sroi.jpg

IMG_1166_zps3octx1in.jpg

The two parts glued together ... of course the wrong place.

IMG_1168_zpsmpuntdw5.jpg

The good one and XF18 Tamiya:

IMG_20150816_221658_zpsxcq6fwuq.jpg

The handle of the gun and the trigger.

IMG_20150816_221251_zpsatx2rbv0.jpg

The groove is engraved with small tool shaped screwdriver.

IMG_1175_zps34qs8s91.jpg

Regards.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Martin!

The engine is started:

797815Renault12FeFi0001_zps6js1x6j1.jpg

I made it in two parts to be able to easily put the binding that connects the two parts.

The lengths are calculated from the plan with more or less accuracy ... Ditto for the general shape of the engine block.

You can find the plan here:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/443899Renault12FeFi0003.jpg

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=205134RenaultV12220hpEndX.jpg

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=797815Renault12FeFi0001.jpg

http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/renault.pdf

IMG_1164_zpsfdsigyl5.jpg

The top of the cylinder head is flat:

IMG_1165_zpsninr8b9w.jpg

IMG_1170_zpszg7e9jjr.jpg

IMG_1171_zpsvkytproa.jpg

The cylinders will be glued in pairs. we must also make a mold, making the two cylinders, gluing, sanding, decorate, remould them etc, etc ...

IMG_1175_zpsi1heeb6q.jpg

IMG_1176_zpsjq5iinat.jpg

Regards

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !

I remade the cylinders entirely with evergreen plastic, I could not stick the small parts cleanly with superglue on the resin parts, and their foot was too short. It was long and painful ...

IMG_1185_zpsvwhkk7jw.jpg

The springs are made of copper wire (gold), found in "fly fishing" shop. It is thinner than the wire.

I wanted to make them conical. Well... believe me it is difficult to find the point suitable for winding the wire over.

Finally I 'm using an old needle (fine) my airbrush (Pasch).

IMG_1180g_zpsna1epb22.jpg

Everything is covered with "surfacer".

IMG_1188_zpsx5xffh6e.jpg

Welds are plastic yarn stuck to the liquid adhesive and crushed with the back of the tweezers

IMG_1184_zpsvikgzapw.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsvkzv6qrm.jpg

IMG_1180_zpsmg2vfhjf.jpg

IMG_1189_zps1ugc45ql.jpg

The shape could have been crowned at the top ... but I do not want to start over.

Tomorrow I make the mold.

A +

Edited by Louis
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Thank you!

After two molds ... and half the prints unusable, I managed to make 6 pairs of cylinders I needed. They are far from perfect.
The base of the cylinder is not flat and I can not sanded properly for they become. So I had to drill holes in the top of the engine block so I can place them correctly. .

It's long to do ...

IMG_0906_zpseibyfx74.jpg

This one is the most successful of the entire series.

IMG_1182_zps6xgtabl5.jpg

The mold is made of a single piece of silicon, cut with a scalpel only at the base of the cylinders to limit the track joint.
Of course there are lots of bubbles in the resin.

IMG_1220_zpspo6fbgkf.jpg

IMG_1222_zpsdncxyrzq.jpg

Rest sanding.

Regards.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...