1/72 Airfix Gladiator

Evening all,

Just finished this lovely kit. And what do you know, it's not a bomber. In fact I do a fair share of things that aren't bombers.

Anyway, I didn't do much with this apart from a Quickboost seat. The aircraft was rigged with stretched sprue and the decals come from the Pavla kit, which in all likelihood will now never be built.

Hope it looks OK in the less than optimal lighting.

Cheers,

Matt

006_zpsudhqe2l5.jpg

005_zpsaxsr7kdq.jpg

002_zps56gacqav.jpg

001_zpsh83egfag.jpg

• Like 34

Looks really good! I have two of these in my stash (Mk IIs) for building the Swedish skate version and the RAF Green/Brown camouflaged version. Do you have a WIP of this build? I'd be very much interested in knowing your opinion about building this kit, what's good, what problems to expect, etc.

Cheers

Jaime

Looks really good! I have two of these in my stash (Mk IIs) for building the Swedish skate version and the RAF Green/Brown camouflaged version. Do you have a WIP of this build? I'd be very much interested in knowing your opinion about building this kit, what's good, what problems to expect, etc.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime,

Sorry, no WIP, but there's not much to worry about with this kit. Location for the cockpit floor is a little vague and I found clamping the fuselage together while the glue was setting sorted that minor difficulty. You also have to make sure the ends of the struts are well sanded to get a snug but not overly snug fit into the wings. I like the idea of the moulded cross brace, but not the idea of cleaning up once installed. I made sure of the fit, then glued the upper wing to the cabane struts and then prepared each interplane strut individually. You can't mix them up. The only other thing I'd have done differently would be to build the engine and cowling assembly completely off the airframe. Mind you, that may prove more problematic when fitting the engine as the fit is tight and I can see the cowling exploding while offering it up to the fuselage.

Overall, I found the build quite easy and very enjoyable. It's the first biplane I've completed in about 12 or 13 years.

Cheers,

Matt

:goodjob:

If you don't mind me asking- how do you stretch the sprue to get it so thin and so uniform to use it as rigging?

I haven't been brave enough to try stretching sprue yet...

Hi Marvel and CedB,

Can't get my cursor down below this point so my answer lies here.

I learnt to stretch sprue many years ago when at school. We had to stretch glass tube to make pipettes and the technique stuck.

I take a short length of sprue (10cm is fine) and heat it over a candle - a centimetre or two is enough.

• Hold it with both hands and turn it over the flame until the sprue sags.
  • Pull it away from the heat and draw your hands apart at a constant rate.
  • If you do it fast and straight after you take it off the heat, you get a nice thin line.
  • Leave it a few seconds and draw slowly to get a thicker line.
  • When you've got a length and thickness you want, hold it in position until it cools. That will help keep it straight
  • Practice!

As to rigging, with the Gladiator I drilled right through the lower wing for all but the cross bracing for the cabane struts, where I drilled right through the upper wing. Airfix very thoughtfully have marked the spots. The locations on the upper wing are drilled slightly to give the hole a bit more bight as it were, and then I cut a length by trial and error. It should more or less spring into place, but I drop a little glue into the partially drilled hole, put one end in and then pop the other end into the fully drilled hole. I then glue that by dropping more glue through the hole from the opposite side. When it's all dry you can tighten the line by holding a well heated file handle (I have a favourite little rat tile file I use) just under the line. If it's a bit saggy, the heat re-aligns the molecules in the plastic and they try and resume their original position - hence it tightens up. I then fill the fully drilled hole, re-paint and you can see the result above.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers,

Matt

I'm with Marvel ^^ - that stretched sprue looks amazing and I've not tried it either. Tips appreciated! :)

• Like 2

Matt,

thanks a lot for sharing your experience with this kit. It will be useful for my future build.

Also, thanks for sharing your sprue stretching technique. I've tried to stretch some sprues once, with little success, so I use elastic fishing line for rigging and antenna wires. It's easier to install for those with little sprue stretching abilities like me: just use a drop of CA on one end, stretch and then use another drop of CA on the other end. The problem is, we have to paint the line after, and that can be tricky due to complicated masking. I guess we could paint stretched sprue before installation, which would make things easier.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1