RAF Corsair - colours and markings.

Gekko_1

Hi guys,

here will be my ideas for what an RAF Corsair may have looked like. Based on the A-7E, mainly because of the refuelling probe fit.

FGR.420Cosair207420sqn201989.jpg

A-7E20RAF20320sqn20green20on20green.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 2

The lower would look better in just green XD

It represents a 'real world' test scheme applied to a Gr.3 Harrier. I wondered what that scheme would look like on a Corsair.

I could imagine that one of those in 4 sqn markings with a colourful tail would look superb. Have you ever considered creating a blank-template index of your whiff ideas so others could make attempts?

I could imagine that one of those in 4 sqn markings with a colourful tail would look superb. Have you ever considered creating a blank-template index of your whiff ideas so others could make attempts?

Yeah, I'll do a 4 Squadron one soon, working on a 6 Squadron one atm.

I won't be proving my work for free, too much time and effort goes into these profiles. Some other profile artists do however.

• Like 1

I suggest they would have been issued to the mud-mover units not prime fighter squadrons such as 74. The actual Jaguar units would be a reasonable suggestion.

Actually a `mud movers` scheme would not be as strange on a 74 Sqn aircraft as you would think.

After disbanding on the EE Lightning at Tengah in the early 70`s there was a strong rumour going round that they would be stood up again very shortly on the as then new Jaguar. A lot of people also do not know that `mud moving` is something that 74 were no strangers too either, as this was their role as part of the 2nd Tactical Air Force in the later stages on the Second World War in Europe.

If events had gone left instead of right, then a Corsair Tiger would have looked very cool indeed.

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 1

Actually a `mud movers` scheme would not be as strange on a 74 Sqn aircraft as you would think.

After disbanding on the EE Lightning at Tengah in the early 70`s there was a strong rumour going round that they would be stood up again very shortly on the as then new Jaguar. A lot of people also do not know that `mud moving` is something that 74 were no strangers too either, as this was their role as part of the 2nd Tactical Air Force in the later stages on the Second World War in Europe.

If events had gone left instead of right, then a Corsair Tiger would have looked very cool indeed.

That's good to hear, as I really like the look of the Corsair in those colours! :)

It also gives me incentive to create some variations on this scheme!

I suppose they would have been painted "pink" for Granby?

Yep, got one or two in the queue for Granby! :)

cracking mate wonder what it would be like in the artic white camo ...

thomas

Yes Thomas, I must do one of those too! :)

• Like 2

Splendid!

Like them all.

But shouldn't it be Corsair GR.2/4 instead of FG/FGR??

I mean, its pure fighter capabilities are quite limited?

Originally this was to be the case (GR). However all Royal Navy and Royal Air Force Corsair's carry the AIM-9L Sidewinder as standard, and after several air to air kills by Royal Navy Corsair's the designation "F" was firmly established for the Corsair in UK service..

Along with the upgrade to FGR.4 and FGR.4+ the Corsair could also carry AIM-120C/D AMRAAM.