Jagdpanzer IV L/70(V) Dragon 1:35 Mitt extras

Mike

I couldn't resist a quick test of the new Friul tracks, so I wrapped them round the sprockets last night. Turns out that the Dragon tracks are either larger than the Friuls, or they under-estimated the number needed, so I added an extra three links from the spares, and loosely hooked them together with an over-long piece of wire (you can see it in the middle of the bottom run). I've also left the track tensioning axle glued to the idler wheel, but loose in its socket, which makes it easier to put the tracks on & off. It also gives me some leeway to adjust the tension, as the Panzer III/IV tracks had a fair degree of sag in the return run, causing a series of undulations over the return rollers. I think I've got it fairly well in the pic below, but there's not much I can do to reduce it anyhow, as there's not enough play when you remove a link, and the tensioner is touching its bump-stop. I can live with that though... a set of Schurzen will be covering up a good proportion of the top track run, so somewhere near will do :)

tracks2.jpg

• Like 4

It's surprisingly sometimes how a task you weren't looking forward to can be relatively easy if you take your time. The fenders were bothering me, but last night I sat down and looked hard at them and realised that I needed to shave off a small bracket at the rear of the hull to allow a better fit, as that bracket is replaced by a new one that is attached to the fenders. Once I'd got the position locked down, I applied a bit of CA to the rear section, held it in place until it set, and then worked my way along tacking various sections level with the top of the hull. Then I went back and wicked some CA off the end of a #11 blade into the remaining areas. I did the same again this morning on the other side, and also did a little bit of damage to the fenders to give the tank a "lived in" look. nothing too major, just a few fender benders and dinks here and there. I placed the casemate and roof on for the pics, so there are a few gaps here and there, but I should be able to close those up with little trouble :)

hull5.jpg

hull6.jpg

If I get chance today I'll paint the interior cos I can close things up.

• Like 3

Cheers Roger :) I've also got some PE schurzen on the way that should be with me by the time they're needed. That ought to cover up the dodgy return rollers I pressed into service... mine damage. That's what it was :unsure:

Ooh - quick question to those that know. I was looking at a JP IV in a museum pic the other day, and the front mudguards were covered with zimmerit paste. Do we think this is contemporary, or a later addition by the museum? :hmmm:

A bit of research later, and it appears that some did have their mudguards zimmerited, and some didn't. I guess that depended on how fresh from the factory they were, and whether they'd had new guards fitted. What to do? :hmmm:

A bit of research later, and it appears that some did have their mudguards zimmerited, and some didn't. I guess that depended on how fresh from the factory they were, and whether they'd had new guards fitted. What to do? :hmmm:

One of each!

Roger

Got an email back from The Hobby Company yesterday apologising for the delay and advising they'd sent me out a pair of rollers that day. They also mentioned that I'm the first person in 3 years to mention it to them, so there must be a lot in the stash waiting to be discovered! :S A little jiffy bag arrived this morning, and I've got them on my desk as I type this. Good shout for Hobby Co's customer service :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Roberto, but most of the amazing work was done by the chemicals that Lee @ Ultimate Products put in the little plastic bottle he sent me :) Credit where it's due ;)

• 2 weeks later...